How many expats make it longer than 2-3 years?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum How many expats make it longer than 2-3 years?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 136 total)
  • Author
    Versatile

[quote=”Imxploring”]Just a few point that will make you more likely to make it here in the long run!

1. Learn SOME spanish… even your attempts at broken spanglish will make you much more popular in town! If nothing else you’re trying… and might even get a laugh out of a new friend in town! TRYING is more important than just not doing so, even if your spanish is AWFUL!!!!

2. “A” type persons should stay home! Lunch or coffee can become a day long adventure! A trip to the hardware store for a bolt should be allotted a three hour slot in your day! Adjust your lifestyle to match the daylight hours here… up early… and in bed at 9pm!

3. Tico’s don’t seem to attached the same importance to watches or days of the week… just get over it!

4. Make local friends… Tico’s are a wonderful people… and much smarter than you think! We make a point of having pizza or spagetti night and inviting folks we know from town… be it the bank teller or the guy you know from the gas station! Play Uno…. or have a movie night…. even if it’s one you’ve seen and it’s in spanish without subtitles!

5. Remember people’s names and faces… the guy at the hardware store or the lady from the bank live in town… you’ll see them around… say hi… shake their hand in passing… when you call folks by their name and acknowledge them it opens so many doors!

6. Become part of the community… you’ll find a way to help someone else, or a cause… and it will come back to you tenfold! I can speak from personal experience on this one!

7. Don’t try to make CR like home… remember… you left home for something different… and this place is different… some good, some bad! Just like home!

I could go on and on but this topic has been touched on before… some folks will never be happy ANYWHERE… and as for the original question… there really isn’t any solid data… but no doubt there’s a good amount of folks that don’t last more then a few years… some of us are lucky enough to be able to enjoy homes in several different places… folks that find themselves unhappy and place all their eggs in one basket without really doing their research are rarely happy with the outcome.[/quote]

A very good post. I like many are working my plan to come to CR. Feels good that i am thinking a lot just like you posted.

maravilla

Also unlike maravilla, we did not leave a safety net behind. We sold the house, gave away what wouldn’t be useful here, and packed up and moved the rest. And we feel just fine about all those decisions.[/quote]

i would gladly get rid of that other house i own, if i could, and not take a brutal beating. after being here for a whole year i hardly even think about that house, or my life there, except when the mortgage payment hits my bank account. it’s hardly a safety net. more like a noose.

ernstge

Boy, Isn’t that the truth. My safety net is what was a $700K house with a $200K mortgage. So a nice half mil in my old age. Now I have a $350K house in Florida that is unsellable, so kiss the big safety net goodbye. I too now have more of a drain than an asset for at least several more years. We are not in lust with Costa Rica. We have made many trips here, lived with local expats, took a good honest 4 day tour with George Lunquist, etc. In short, did enough due diligence to know most of the pluses and the minuses. I speak Spanish and my wife is learning. We like about 4400′ elevation for eternal spring. Love shopping at local supermercados and the feria agricultor in San Ramon on Saturdays. If I really need to see rich Americans and do over priced shopping, I can visit Escazu. Yes we can always go home on Spirit Air for $69+ tax, but I don’t believe having done our homework that we ever would except for short visits. As my wife says “I want to die here”.

[quote=”hrichards”]I wish that most americans would get the heck out of costa rica. I myself am an american and have lived here for over 10 years.. and most of the perks that have attracted me to costa rica are all slowly changing. much due to the U.S. migration here and all the attention that it brings along with that migration.

what a sad time

it may be time to look for anotehr country.

hey who knows.. maybe in a few years nicaraugua will be the place.. or maybe chile.. any suggestions for a future home[/quote]

Why do you say that about how you wish most Americans would leave CR? Is it because you moved to CR to get away from the Americans? Maybe its like my dad used to say when he finally bought his house in Northern Wisconsin,(where he vacationed since he was 18 that he now was no longer a tourist, and wished the people from Illinois would quit coming up there and ruining the beauty of the North Woods?

maravilla

i feel the same way. now that we’re all here, they should close the gates!! jejeje or start giving wannabe expats a psycho profile before they let them in. i’ve met some real doozies in the last 5 years. it’s kind of like the patients running the asylum.

[quote=”maravilla”]i feel the same way. now that we’re all here, they should close the gates!! jejeje or start giving wannabe expats a psycho profile before they let them in. i’ve met some real doozies in the last 5 years. it’s kind of like the patients running the asylum.[/quote]

Well, I think that there is a certain type of person that makes it through living in CR. To be honest with you, we will be there in January, please dont close that gate! :)We have had enough here in the US, people are stupid!

waggoner41

[quote=”ymontagne”]Last time, while visiting Dominical/Uvita, we really noticed that it didn’t appear that many people who move to the area last more than 2 or 3 years. Wrong impression?[/quote]

Quite frankly I think many people make hasty decisions about moving to Costa Rica. The land is beautiful and the people are wonderful but choosing the wrong area for various reasons can sour you.:cry:
    I researched Costa Rica on-line for several years before even visiting. I knew what I wanted in the way of climate and myriad other issues. i’m here to stay.:D
    Make sure you know what you want and take the time to find it. Paradise is not that easy to come by.:?
    [b]IMXPLORING[/b] has some very valid points. I had no Spanish when I arrived but now I can communicate. I disagree with his comment on type “A” persons, I was [b]TYPE “A”[/b][u][/u] now I am type “a”. Thanks to Costa Rica I have learned to Slow down.

maravilla

and to quote that line from the eagles song, “call someplace paradise, kiss it goodbye!”

[quote=”waggoner41″][quote=”ymontagne”]Last time, while visiting Dominical/Uvita, we really noticed that it didn’t appear that many people who move to the area last more than 2 or 3 years. Wrong impression?[/quote]

Quite frankly I think many people make hasty decisions about moving to Costa Rica. The land is beautiful and the people are wonderful but choosing the wrong area for various reasons can sour you.:cry:
    I researched Costa Rica on-line for several years before even visiting. I knew what I wanted in the way of climate and myriad other issues. i’m here to stay.:D
    Make sure you know what you want and take the time to find it. Paradise is not that easy to come by.:?[/quote]

Thank you for the advise, we have been doing our research for about 17 years, and “some day” will never come unless we do it! 😀

waggoner41

[quote=”bodyshopgirl41″][quote=”waggoner41″][quote=”ymontagne”]Last time, while visiting Dominical/Uvita, we really noticed that it didn’t appear that many people who move to the area last more than 2 or 3 years. Wrong impression?[/quote]

Make sure you know what you want and take the time to find it. Paradise is not that easy to come by.:?[/quote]

Thank you for the advise, we have been doing our research for about 17 years, and “some day” will never come unless we do it! :D[/quote]
    You can look at it inone of two ways: either it is fear of change or it is a challenge. If you like a challenge, go for it.

countdown

There are a lot of good, supportive thoughts expressed here by those who do live here and those hoping this will be “[i]the place[/i].” It is a shame that the “other half” isn’t represented on the forum. Those who came, tried it, and fled. We can only report the reasons they told us they were leaving, as a way to advise candidates on what to consider.

One recurring theme not yet mentioned is that [u]both[/u] members (assuming a couple) must have those traits. Time and again we’ve spoken to couples where one is enamored and the other appalled by Costa Rica. One sees the beauty, climate, food, language, people, and opportunities to learn, explore, and meet people. The other sees the bugs, traffic, rain, wind, roads, [i]Spanish[/i], limited shopping, and questionable plumbing. Be sure your partner shares your enthusiasm.

We know many current (and former) couples at odds or even split by Costa Rica. So part of the heartfelt suggestion we give, to [i]stay here some number of months before moving[/i], is for [u]both[/u] to determine if [i]this is the place[/i].
    ¡Buena suerte!
    CD

jdocop

post removed so as not to offend any forum members.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Still only a small percentage of the 50% [b]CountDown[/b] mentions have responded as yet, especially those actually living here, full time.
    Of course, not everyone checks this site every day:roll:
    While there are many thousands of ‘registered participants’ of this and other Costa Rica forums, it would also be interesting to see how many have posted ‘more than 5 times’. It seems to me, most just post one question and they are never heard of again.
    It would be interesting if Scott could insert a ‘poll’ showing those
    1)Intending to move
    2)Living here part-time
    3)Living here full time
    4)Have not yet visited Costa Rica

[i]Possible Scott?[/i]

countdown

[quote=”costaricafinca”]…
    1)Intending to move
    2)Living here part-time
    3)Living here full time
    4)Have not yet visited Costa Rica
    5)[b]Live here but want to leave[/b]
    6)[b]Lived here but have now left[/b][/quote]
    Added two more for completeness… People voting as #5 & #6 would also be great contributors to the “[i]odds of staying longer than 2-3 years[/i]” list.
    CD

soldier

Being married, I agree very strongly with the other members, that both couples must truly want to transition to CR. I have been coming to CR since 1985. Prior to my marriage, I informed my future wife of my dream of relocating to CR for my retirement, and the purchase of a beachfront home in Guancaste; prior to my retirement. I planned for us to make several trips to CR, to see whether she could adapt to the culture, weather, beautiful tica ladies etc., prior to our marriage. I was very honest and direct with her, and in the nicest way, informed her that I would like her to be part of my dream, however, if she could not; we would always remain friends. To my joy, and relief, my wife also fell in love with Costa Rica, and is more impatient than myself to finally relocate. Being honest with onesself and their partner, is critical for happiness in Costa Rica!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 136 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.