Home Security Alarms

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Home Security Alarms

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    soldier

We will be returning to Costa Rica, next week. Can anyone recommend a home security alarm? And, any pros and cons, in terms of having one installed in a Costa Rican home. We are in the Playa Hermosa area.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Check with persons living in your [i]immediate neighborhood[/i] for recommendations for both ‘follow up’ and routine maintenance. It won’t help you, if someone recommends a company in the Central Valley or Jaco.
    We ‘believed’ the salesman’s spiel, then they never completed the job or return to fix ongoing problems.
    We spoke with the supplier of the equipment after unsuccessfully dealing with problems, and they stated [i]’we cannot stop these bad companies buying and installing our products’.[/i]
    Realize too, that will probably not respond to an alarm going off….

perroloco

Try Terry Anderson with Force One Security at dterryanderson@gmail.com They are based in Tamarindo but do work all over the country. I think they have a website too, but not sure of the address.

soldier

Thanks everyone!

DavidCMurray
    Participant

soldier, before you commit time and money to this project, determine just what is likely to happen when the alarm goes off.

Will anyone hear it? If yes, what will they do about it? And what good will that do you?

Our neighbors installed one and were prepared to have it call our telephone when it went off. I told them not to bother. If they thought I was going to saddle up my charger, grab my lance and shield, and go galloping down there to do battle with an unknown number of burglars, armed Heaven only knows how and high on Heaven knows what, and in the dark of night, all to save [u]their[/u] microwave, they were just terribly confused.

So my question is: What good’ll it do?

soldier

David,

Good point, thanks for your insight. A friend gave me portable motion sensors, the size of cell phones; that I will utilize while we are in the house. Being retired military and a Fed, all I need is a little advance warning!

redelvis

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]
    Our neighbors installed one and were prepared to have it call our telephone when it went off. I told them not to bother. If they thought I was going to saddle up my charger, grab my lance and shield, and go galloping down there to do battle with an unknown number of burglars, armed Heaven only knows how and high on Heaven knows what, and in the dark of night, all to save [u]their[/u] microwave, they were just terribly confused. [/quote]

Thanks for the laugh! I needed that this morning…

Anyway, speaking of security, I had a scary realization the other night when I awoke to some “odd” noises outside and realized my power was out. No big deal other than without power, I have no lights, no phone service, no internet service and being new in country have no cell phone or substantial way to defend myself and family yet.

I subsequently developed a plan of action the next morning but it’s not perfect and it still makes me uneasy until I can resolve my loose ends. 🙁

Like soldier said however, having advanced notice is key.

costaricafinca
    Participant

We have a couple of motion sensors and there are better than nothing, although some nocturnal animals and the wind blowing my plants sets them off.
    The alarm system we had installed, is wireless, so no power is no problem. So consider wireless, if you [i]do decide[/i] to put in an alarm.
    When we had an intended robbery a few months ago, the culprits ‘cut the phone wires’ and got had got in through the window, when the alarm went off….very loudly. Then they got out..quick! Luckily we were nearby.

Michlic

Having a security system installed is an excellent and pragmatic deterant as mentioned above. These systems have become technological and not only turn on sirens but also cameras, they call phones whether a monitoring station or your personal phone. They can broadcast loud voice demands, turn on lights and much more. You can have cameras broadcast over the net to monitor from anywhere in the world. You don’t need to have them call a nieghbor but perhaps some firm better equiped to handle a situation. Which ever gives you the most comfort in protecting you microwaves or your lives.

Keep researching your options and choose one that best suites your needs.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Someone knowledgeable once told me that the single best deterrent to burglary is a video surveillance system. The would-be burglars can’t tell if they’re simply being recorded or if they’re being monitored in real time and responders are on the way.

Of course, these systems don’t come cheap, but there may be an alternative . . dummy cameras. They cost little and look pretty convincing. The burglars can’t tell them from the real thing.

Here’s a link: http://www.createwindow.com/homegarden/cameras/phonysecurity.htm

sueandchris

Along this line….how many of you have suffered “significant” robberies? By that I mean actual break-ins where significant theft occurred? (I know that is a relative question.) We have heard stories of tools being stolen from sheds, and the proverbial small appliance theft. But I guess I wonder if any Forum members have had “whole house cleanouts”….thanks!

jtd2

How about putting a sign “Beware of Dogs(in Spanish)” on the windows around the house. There is also an alarm that you can buy that produce a barking dogs sound instead of the basic alarm sound…Radio Shack may carry it or any specialized electronic stores. Anyways, burglars are always afraid bitten by a dog.

costaricafinca
    Participant

We tried one of the alarms that ‘sounds like your dog barking’ and all it did was upset the dogs!
    The ‘thieves’ look for any sign of dogs…then poison them.
    We [i]lost[/i] lot’s of both electric and hand tools, phones, motor cycle helmets, GPS, stuff from the truck, and other miscellaneous items….during one robbery.
    But the worst was the loss of our dogs.
    Irreplaceable.

wspeed1195

[quote=”jtd2″]How about putting a sign “Beware of Dogs(in Spanish)” on the windows around the house. There is also an alarm that you can buy that produce a barking dogs sound instead of the basic alarm sound…Radio Shack may carry it or any specialized electronic stores. Anyways, burglars are always afraid bitten by a dog.[/quote]they’ll just poison the dog,and if you use pseudo barking devices they’ll bring pseudo poison.
    when you move there with dogs,and make your first in country vet visit the vet will ask you about getting the poison reversal medication.I know 3 pople that have had use for it.
    to topic,the have an ADT office in Jaco.several folks use them.they have armed security that respond on motorcycles.
    oh,theirs A guy and his wife that live on Calle Hermossa.they are retired feds also.
    he’s A great guy,drives A full sized newer burgundy Chevy truck,flareside bed.
    easy going,if you saw his tuck and hollered him up he’d chat.they’ve got/had your same interest regarding this.
    we spoke several times at length about this subject.
    he’d be A good source.and he’s always about.very active.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

jtd2, have you ever actually seen or met ADT’s armed response team? A neighbor was told this same thing by the ADT guy in Grecia but when he asked to go meet the team it turned out that there really wasn’t one.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.