Help! Shopping for Furniture & Accessories

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Help! Shopping for Furniture & Accessories

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    gkbiz

We are building a 3 bedroom home in Esterillos (Pacific coast between Jaco-Parrita) which will be completed about June/09. Need beds,tables,chairs window treatments, ceiling fans,outdoor furniture..etc. Any suggestions where to shop? Have been told that around Jaco is way too overpriced.
    Any way to find quality used furniture from an upscale residence/condo being sold or reposessed? (Problem- very limited Spanish but I could get help)? Will be in CR all of February. Some of the time will be at an immersion Spanish school!
    Is there a time of year when there are sales on home furnishings?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

You need to give us some hints about your style preferences. If it’s Spanish colonial you want, then the furniture stores in Sarchi are probably your best bet. If it’s more contemporary stuff, then there are a few sources in and around San Jose that you should check out.

Imxploring
    Participant

I’d suggest a shopping trip (or two) to Sarchi. It’s worth the time and effort! I had all my furniture made there over a period of trips and was able to not only choose the style (not just Spanish colonial) but was able to have many things custom made to size for the rooms I had planned out. I brought pictures of items to show them what I wanted and they had them done in a few weeks. Mission style, rustic, and modern. I really have to say the best part was being able to have items I liked that were available modified and made to a size that would fit the rooms. Most vendors can even arrange to have all the items shipped to your house… or with some advanced planning, have the truck follow you home after your purchase! The prices will amaze you and I’m sure with the general slowdown in business they’re even better.

Also got some great artwork there too… picked up a 40″X24″ painting Monday we had commissioned there for $85 from a fellow we’ve been dealing with for years! There’s lots more besides furniture!

Not to change the subject but did you find it difficult to find a builder? We have propety north of Jaco near Tacoles and wish to build in the near future- any suggestions?. Wish you the best in your new home! pm from maryland

costaricafinca
    Participant

I find the Aliss stores have a great variety of accessories. They are located in a few of the malls.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

And if you’re outfitting a kitchen, the new Tips store a couple of blocks from the U.S. Embassy in Pavas is a “must-see”.

gkbiz

I decided to work with Costa Developers who developed Costa Esterillos where we are building. To date, they have done everything they promised and all development infrastructure is finished (nicely done including about 10km of roads made from pavers throughout). They put the house out to bid, helped me (with their engineer/homebuilder team) with the architect and are now watching and checking everything as it progresses. The builder is Rock Construction. I cannot be there as they are on a daily basis and decided that the slightly higher price was worth the peace of mind. My Costa assigned team really pay attention to every detail.So far so good. Project started in Dec/08

Edited on Jan 25, 2009 09:24

gkbiz

Thanks for the replies so far. Not very into heavy carved Spanish colonial. More inclined to contemporary modern with simpler lines. Prefer platform beds vs. double mattress style. If the price is right, custom made coffee table, end tables bookshelf/entertainment center,
    bedframe or dining table/chairs would be great. Not trying to be snooty but many of the Italian sofas and tables seen in many of the model home pictures look very nice and light(vs. heavy, dark Spanish) for this very hot area. Don’t know where to start looking.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

The readymade contemporary furniture will be found at places like Alathea Design and LaArtistica in and around San Jose. Just don’t mistake “available” for “cheap” which it ain’t. And since the market is limited, your selection will be, too.

If what you plan to fill your home with is important to you (as it was to us), why not make your purchases in the U.S., arrange for a container, and bring them down with you? If you have a set of blueprints for the house, you can determine what scale of furniture you can accommodate. And you’ll have much more selection.

Should you elect to bring things in a container, identify each item on your inventory as a “used (whatever)”. That way, the Customs duty will be greatly less. If you buy the same item new here, you’ll still pay the shipping cost to get it here and the merchant will pass along to you the duty on new merchandise, which it is.

gkbiz

I have thought about this but have not yet looked into cost. There are conflicting stories in this forum about the process.One story by a couple in Esterillos shows their possessions in shambles after the container was opened for inspection. The other story about a recommended import company (recommended by Scott Oliver) makes it sound that the process is simple. Just leave it to them. Haven’t checked cost from them yet. Sorry I’m not supplying names as I can’t go find them while composing this reply.We have a 2002 Toyota 4 Runner that some say can be placed in the container. It sure would come in handy.

Edited on Jan 24, 2009 10:35

grb1063

If you really prefer Euro lines in your furniture, go on a shopping spree in Escazu between the American food joints on the right as your are coming from San Jose and the Scotia Bank on the corner of the road that heads past the embassy to the intersection for Escazu Multiplex (Banco San Jose). But be prepared to spend some $$$. You can sometimes find some non-ornamentaly carved, more euro style pieces in Sarchi, but you have to look harder. Haven’t tried the free trade zone in Golfito yet.

Imxploring
    Participant

Still think Sarchi is a good idea, just add it to the list of ideas. Bring pictures of the style furniture you want and the sizes… someone will be able to make it… you can bid out all or part of the work and see how it goes. The quaility and woods will shock you! I’ve built some of my own furniture back in the states and was amazed at the quality and wood.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

It is, indeed, possible to put a vehicle into a shipping container along with household goods. There are some requirements regarding preparing the vehicle, but the shipping company can give you the details. The vehicle will still have to go through the importation process before it can be put on the road.

Shipping containers are priced on a flat rate basis regardless of how full they are or how much they weigh, so including the 4Runner won’t make any difference in the shipping cost.

gkbiz

Willdefinately go as I will be very close to Sarchi for a whole week. (PM after language school). Any particular vendors that can be recommended? Are their prices “set in stone” or is there some flex?

costaricafinca
    Participant

Be advised that your Forerunner will cost at least 64% in duty, based on the value here in Costa Rica. So, really consider that.Here is a page to find out what the duty will be http://www.hacienda.go.cr/autohacienda/autovalor.aspx
    The major problem is ‘getting something made’ is ‘will you REALLY like it when it’s finished’?

Have you plans on where to ‘store’ your purchases if you purchase them in February?

Edited on Jan 25, 2009 12:06

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.