HELP! Costa Rica Information

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum HELP! Costa Rica Information

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    hapona258

okay my boyfriend and i are planning to move to costa rica but all the people we talk to in regards to properties we have found online have either been pushing us away from the houses we found that we like that are in our price range for more expensive ones. i know its so they make a bigger sale. we are not getting any information about anything. we just don’t know were to start or who to talk to so we don’t get ripped off in the process. plus, we think we need to get a good attorney who handles this kind of relocation. i would love any advice or names. we are more then willing to stick around for the long haul if we find someone who knows what they are talking about and is very informative.

sheena

hmarrero

If I was you I would not rush to buy anything right away. I would rent a month at a time in different locations until I find a place that I really like and then start looking locally on my own at properties for sale, Until I find what I am looking for. You can find very reasonable furnished places between $300 and $600 a month. That way you don’t have to move your stuff until you have purchased your place.

Don’t let real estate agents push you around. Do your own due diligencee and look for reputable agents only. There’s a lot of fly-by-night agents which are less than desirable and very willing to take your money.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Fantastic advice – PLEASE listen to it!

Scott – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

Jerry

OK…. my advise is, go there, find an area you are happy in, live there a couple years, THEN look around for places for sale through the ticos, or another trusted gringo who has lived in the area. I got 3 acres with coffee and 10 different types of mature fruit trees, a three bedroom house with elec and water and a phone line 1.5 miles from pavement in the mountains in the La Suiza area near Turrialba for about $12,000. The local friends of mine asked me why I paid so much!!! A week later, I could have doubled my money, but did not, and still(3 yrs later) do not wish to sell. There are opportunities EVERYWHERE… be patient.

Andrew
    Keymaster

You “have to” help us write an article about this experience PLEASE!

And I LOVE the Turrialba area, it’s just gorgeous up there and the first place where I spotted the quetzal (a bird)

Scott

jenny

Jerry, that is a great testimony. The deals are here but it takes time and talking to people. Some properties here have been on sale for years. The deals are here but yours is the best I’ve heard. You can not find a deal on the internet you have to come here and check around, get to know people and the community. Great

dkt2u

I would agree there are still bargains out there. Not every Tico has gringo green fever. It’s similiar to Dengue fever only instead of turning you a pale shade of yellow it drains your body of all the green. We moved to Costa Rica almost a year ago now and live on the Pacific coast. Property prices here have gone crazy in the last few years, but it seems especially crazy over the last 12 months. That being said I still find things that are considered good buys for my clients, well below some of the rediculous prices some Tico’s are asking. It makes a huge difference to come into an area like Jerry said and make friends. The arrogant gringo perceived to be waving cash to get his way is not going to find the good deals. Pura Vida

sschmidt

My husband and I are very new to the idea of purchasing land or a (home) property in Costa Rica. We are trying to read up with some books, do internet searches, and ask family/friends and are planning to visit hopefully soon. Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to approach your first fact finding trip to Costa Rica? Our plans to live in Costa Rica are off in the future by about 10 years, but we would like to consider the options to invest in land/rental property so as to pay current prices now with the idea of not paying full price 10 years from now.

Thanks for any input………

audears

Your plans sound like my plans! I did what you did, to start–books, internet searches, etc… Read the Costa Rican paper on line, and I’m trying to improve my Spanish! (it helps that I work with 2 Puerto Ricans and have many Mexican patients, many of whom do not speak English). Inquired with some realtors, as well as looked up property on the internet, and joined this forum! I also called the CR consulate, and they promised to send me information about all kinds of stuff(I have more questions than Jeopardy!). Bought Scott’s book, too, but haven’t received it yet. My ex-husband’s aunt has lived in CR for over 20 years, and has a son my age (47). When in Costa Rica, about 10 years ago, we spent some time with them. They live just outside of San Jose. He just got me her phone #, so I intend to call this weekend. The last time I was in CR, it was just for ‘fun’. I plan on checking out different areas when I go down this time, as relocating even part time wasn’t something I was thinking about the last time I was there…only after I got home did the bug bite! It’s important to me to be within about 1 1/2 hours of San jose…Initially, I wanted beach (pacific coast), but now I’m not so sure…my husband is still insisting on the beach tho! I’d be happy with gorgeous tropical foliage all around! (I’ve always been big on landscaping). One of these days we plan to sit down together, and mark off the areas we might be interested in, and try to find someone reputable to show us properties/homes…at this point, it probably would make sense to buy the land and build later. (Although then again, you can always build and rent). I wouldn’t leave a home ‘sit’ for 9 months of the year. so much to decide! But it is a fun trek! Good luck!

hapona258

well, my boyfriend is over there right now as we speak and the stress is sinking in. mostly because he is looking at the places and neighborhoods and i am stuck in california working. the lines of communication are not as convenient as assumed but we are surviving. i will definately keep you guys posted on the findings and the adventure ahead.

sheena

dkt2u

before my wife and I moved from California to Esterillos Oeste, Costa Rica in April of 2005, we pretty much did all of the above. We subscribed to the Tico Times. It was delivered about 2 weeks after publication, but gave us some insight to what was going on. We were online every day on forums, realestate websites, etc. We made about 5 or 6 trips prior to making our move. We had a 3 to 5 year plan but saw what prices were doing here and figured we may not be much further ahead financially in 3 to 5 years. Everyone’s situation is different of course.

Jerry

When I went to Costa Rica, I quickly learned the “real” Costa Rica is not the tourist areas… If you are serious about enjoying the true benefits of living “Pura Vida”, then I HIGHLY suggest getting in the country… in the mountains and away from all the hullabaloo. I picked the La Suiza area mainly because the tourist effect is so low. Nope, there are NO fast food joints (Mc D’s, Burger King, etc.) There is no gas station… oh dear ME!!! But, I would not have it any other way. I cruise into Turrialba for gas… big deal. Most of the folks are not jaded by Gringo presence. I know all half dozen or so of the Gringos that live in the surrounds… personally. LOL. I go into town in my rubber boots, like lots of my neighbors. What I am trying to say is… if you are gonna move to Rome, I recommend “living like the Romans”.

dkt2u

Everyone has different taste Jerry. We like being by the beach. We are not in a touristy area, but are close enough if we want to shop or go watch the Super Bowl on a big screen at a sports bar we can do that. The mountains are not for everyone. I happen to like the moutnains as well and we want to have a weekend place up in the mountains at some point. Others like the mountain living and having a weekend place close to the beach. Like I said, everyone has different tastes. It doesn’t mean you can’t experience Pura Vida or the real Costa Rica if you don’t live out in the country.

dkt2u

If any of you come down and are in the central pacific coast area, my wife and I love to host travelers for a drink and share travel stories and help show you around the area here. We like to share our perspective on relocating since we have recently done it and may have a different perspective than someone that has already been living here for 5 to 10 years, or longer in some instances. Please let me knwo if I can help.

Jerry

you are 100% right… my point was taken where you mentioned you were not in a touristy area… All of the country is wonderfull, I just enjoy the “tico” areas much better

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.