Forever renter in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Forever renter in Costa Rica

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    windom

[quote=”lvc1028″][quote=”costaricafinca”]I, too, like the Arenal, Tilaran area …but it is too wet, windy and cool for us to live there!

Make that an extended round trip and check out various parts of the country.[/quote]

Wet=green and lush (with still lots of sun during the day)

Cool=temperate=70s-90

Windy-find yourself an isolated, protected spot. Some lake areas are far windier than others.

After a couple of days on the NW coast, I couldn’t wait to get back to the temperate weather. Oh, another plus, with the humidity/moisture comes beautiful, plump skin…it does wonders for the face and body! Everybody I see in Lake region looks SO much younger than they are! You all know who you are…hahaha.[/quote]

thanks for the response, I really like the ‘beautiful, plump skin’ advantage! 😀

lyndahykin

I just came back from a week in Guanacaste – I can’t believe coming from Ontario that I am going to say this – but it was WAY too hot for me! I was expecting mid 80’s…and got 98-104F. I also found Hermosa Bay a little too ‘laid back’ for me, I want something to do when I’m in CR, even a little town to walk around in.
    I spent 3 years in Vancouver, BC so I do not like rain (at least 6 months of it…all at once, lol)so I’m looking for an area in between. High 80’s, rain (except rainy season of course) just once in a while. Any suggestions?
    Thanks! Lynda

DavidCMurray
    Participant

For sure, no place in Costa Rica (or likely anywhere else) will be perfect for you, Lynda, but there are mid-sized Central Valley towns that are very livable. Three quarters of the population doesn’t live in the Central Valley for no good reason.

Temperatures depend mostly on altitude. The higher the cooler; the lower the hotter. Many folks find altitudes between about 3,000 and maybe 5,500 feet above sea level to be very comfortable. At 4,200 feet, we have neither heat nor air conditioning, never run our ceiling fans (wasted the money), and leave our windows open 24/365.

Humidity and rainfall, however, are another matter. In general, you’ll get six months of rainy weather just about anywhere. Somebody correct me if I’m wrong.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Right now in the interior of Guanacaste, it is still very hot, dry and windy again.
    I hate the wind at night!!!
    The CV tends to be cooler, as the poster above points out.
    Finding the place that suits you, requires time… not just a day visit, but either trips taken at various times of the year or a year long stay to really get a better idea of the conditions you will deal with. Of course, some ‘rainy’ seasons are longer than others…or sometimes it just seems to last forever 🙄
    Some people move here and only want to grow mangoes, and that does not happen all over the country.

lvc1028

[quote=”lyndahykin”]I just came back from a week in Guanacaste – I can’t believe coming from Ontario that I am going to say this – but it was WAY too hot for me! I was expecting mid 80’s…and got 98-104F. I also found Hermosa Bay a little too ‘laid back’ for me, I want something to do when I’m in CR, even a little town to walk around in.
    I spent 3 years in Vancouver, BC so I do not like rain (at least 6 months of it…all at once, lol)so I’m looking for an area in between. High 80’s, rain (except rainy season of course) just once in a while. Any suggestions?
    Thanks! Lynda[/quote]

Rainfall…I guess it’s all how you look at it. A lot rain? One would think Seattle is rainy, dark and gloomy and who would want to live there. And then there is Miami…hot, beautiful and sunny. Well, Miami gets more rain than Seattle. Miami just gets it in larger spurts and it isn’t as noticeable. If you asked me, I would take Miami any day of the week–but it gets more rain! But it also has a lot of sun. It’s all how you look at it. I live in NYS…when it rains, it might not rain that much at once, but it could be raining for 5 days. It’s not the volume, it’s the length of time it lasts (same with snow).

I remember one night in Nuevo Arenal last June…it rained from 3-6 inches (depending on the area it was gauged). The storm was incredible (never saw thunder/lightening like that), and so much rain. Next morning, the sky was blue and temps hot and you never would have known it happened. It’s the tropics.

Windom and Lyndahykin:
    David’s observations are pretty much dead on. If you don’t mind a little researching…go to worldweatheronline.com

You can research weather almost anywhere on the planet, get average yearly temperatures, rainfall data, etc. and have it expressed in metric………or the good old USA way (degrees/inches) as you determine.

When you type in a lookup address, be specific, i.e,:
    Tamarindo, Guanacaste, Costa Rica.

Good luck and hope to see you in Costa Rica!

costaricafinca
    Participant

Here is a good map, showing [url=http://costa-rica-guide.com/Weather/WeatherMap.html]annual rainfall[/url]

lyndahykin

[quote=”VictoriaLST”]Up here by the lake, we love young women in their 60’s (I am one, but married). And we have some great rentals up here as well as a lively community of expats. Ladies of the Lake is very active in the community and Arenal Gardeners has both meetings and monthly trips. Come join us![/quote]
    Sounds wonderful. Where exactly are you, and what would the average rent be?
    Thanks!
    Lynda

VictoriaLST

Hi – sorry for the late reply but I hadn’t been checking this thread. Where are we? I am in Aguacate about 9 k NW of Nuevo Arenal and 30 min from Tilaran. As with all areas, rents vary here from $350 and up. The bus system is very active and can get you just about everywhere. The area has its own website, http://www.duralavida.com. Ladies of the Lake and Arenal Gardeners have facebook pages. The expat community is large and active. Check your inbox for a private message:D:D

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.