Forever renter in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Forever renter in Costa Rica

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    windom

I have been planning on retiring in CR for a long time.

All I have is basically my (modest) social security, I’m a young 60’s single women. I don’t want to buy a house, I just want to rent a house or an apartment for the rest of my days.

I speak Spanish fluently as I grew up in CR as a child so language is not a problem, also have lived overseas before.

Is this at all feasible and realistic? I don’t teach or paint so I’m just wondering if this is just a pipe dream to come back to Costa Rica.

Advice and comments would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone wants a perfect renter let me know.

VictoriaLST

Up here by the lake, we love young women in their 60’s (I am one, but married). And we have some great rentals up here as well as a lively community of expats. Ladies of the Lake is very active in the community and Arenal Gardeners has both meetings and monthly trips. Come join us!

rosiemaji

As long as your Social Security is at least $1000 per month, your plan sounds very feasible. That will qualify you to apply for temporary residency and then after 3 years you can apply for permanent residency. Living on $1000 a month or a little over that won’t net you luxurious living but you would be able to afford something modest and comfortable. As Victoria suggested, look for an area that has the climate and interests that you enjoy. As a renter, if you find somewhere that you like more, you can move. There are apartments and houses for rent in numerous areas – near the beach, in the mountains, in cities, in smaller towns, and in gated communities.

windom

[quote=”VictoriaLST”]Up here by the lake, we love young women in their 60’s (I am one, but married). And we have some great rentals up here as well as a lively community of expats. Ladies of the Lake is very active in the community and Arenal Gardeners has both meetings and monthly trips. Come join us![/quote]

Thank you so much for your reply, would love to learn more about the community and join you!!! Would like to get info on rental availability. Where would I find that? I guess also would be a discovery trip down there which would a little time in the future but I’m excited and motivated.
    Thank you again, have a ‘pura vida’ day.

windom

[quote=”rosiemaji”]As long as your Social Security is at least $1000 per month, your plan sounds very feasible. That will qualify you to apply for temporary residency and then after 3 years you can apply for permanent residency. Living on $1000 a month or a little over that won’t net you luxurious living but you would be able to afford something modest and comfortable. As Victoria suggested, look for an area that has the climate and interests that you enjoy. As a renter, if you find somewhere that you like more, you can move. There are apartments and houses for rent in numerous areas – near the beach, in the mountains, in cities, in smaller towns, and in gated communities.[/quote]

Hello and thank you for your reply, I don’t need luxurious-like you said something modest and comfortable. This give me more hope as far as the ‘budget’ you mentioned. Like I mentioned to Victoria my next plan is a trip back down there to research areas.
    Keep in touch and thank you.

pdsnickles
    Participant

I highly recommend that people who are retiring on soc. sec. look into making some extra money online. While there are a lot of ripoffs online and one has to do one’s due diligence to make sure you hook up with the right business, there are ways to make a few hundred up to a few thousand per month by running online businesses.

This is our plan for retiring in Costa Rica because my soc. sec. is only going to be around $1100/month – that is IF the government doesn’t renig on its obligation to pay this “entitlement” that I have paid into my whole life.

I would recommend to make a round-trip, maybe rent 3 months at a time in different areas (beach, mountains, city) and then decide where to live permanently.
    Personally I love the Lake Arenal area and have been here for 21 years 😀

costaricafinca
    Participant

I, too, like the Arenal, Tilaran area …but it is too wet, windy and cool for us to live there!

Make that an extended round trip and check out various parts of the country.

aguirrewar

I do not have a choice
    20 years ago we bought a house in DESAMPARADOS next to Parque de la PAZ
    1,200 sq. ft. home
    and right next to my wife’s sister
    1,000 feet away from her brother
    and 4,000 miles away from my daughter in the USA
    on top of that my DOG has to learn commands in Spanish
    OH WELL, gallo pinto will be my diet over there
    I should of never married that girl from CR, LOL

[quote=”costaricafinca”]I, too, like the Arenal, Tilaran area …but it is too wet, windy and cool for us to live there!

Make that an extended round trip and check out various parts of the country.[/quote]

wet-windy-cool ?

windy only from december through march (and I love it)

wet ? has not been wet enough for almost 10 years (ask ICE about the lake level)

cool ? most time we have summer temperatures. What we call “cool” here would be “nice and warm” in Germany.

rf2cr
    Participant

After a hot, dry, dusty day on the “flatlands” and/or the Guanacaste beaches, the are few joys like driving up the hill toward the lake to our cool, green sometimes rainy and windy home. LOVE IT!

costaricafinca
    Participant

Definitely [i]’a nice place to visit friends'[/i] though 😆 and do enjoy seeing the results from more moisture. We also get lots of wind. This varied climate of Costa Rica offers something for everyone, but take the time to find out what suits you best and you can’t do this in a day visit.

windom

[quote=”elindermuller”][quote=”costaricafinca”]I, too, like the Arenal, Tilaran area …but it is too wet, windy and cool for us to live there!

Make that an extended round trip and check out various parts of the country.[/quote]

wet-windy-cool ?

windy only from december through march (and I love it)

wet ? has not been wet enough for almost 10 years (ask ICE about the lake level)

cool ? most time we have summer temperatures. What we call “cool” here would be “nice and warm” in Germany.[/quote]

Thank you for your interpretation of wet-windy-cool.

VictoriaLST

Windy and hot describes Tilaran. Arenal is less windy, a bit cooler, a bit wetter. As they say here, just drive 10 klicks for a different climate.

lvc1028

[quote=”costaricafinca”]I, too, like the Arenal, Tilaran area …but it is too wet, windy and cool for us to live there!

Wet=green and lush (with still lots of sun during the day)

Cool=temperate=70s-90

Windy-find yourself an isolated, protected spot. Some lake areas are far windier than others.

After a couple of days on the NW coast, I couldn’t wait to get back to the temperate weather. Oh, another plus, with the humidity/moisture comes beautiful, plump skin…it does wonders for the face and body! Everybody I see in Lake region looks SO much younger than they are! You all know who you are…hahaha.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.