For anyone holding Dollars–let the pain begin

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum For anyone holding Dollars–let the pain begin

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    *Lotus

Sprite,
    FYI: this was not my critique of Zeitgeist, it was that of G. Edward Griffin who wrote “The Creature from Jekyll Island.” I found his book quite interesting, hence I respect his opinion.

Sprite you’re quite a character, but at least read my post before ranting about how “deeply immersed I am in right wing propaganda.” Again Zeitgeist: Take it with a grain of salt, it’s vastly unsubstantiated propaganda film, neither the left nor right will control me via their media. I’m just living in the moment, peacefully and compassionately.

sprite

It is a problem of mine that I speed read for the essence of a communication and many times miss a detail. (You neglected to put quotes around the excerpt) But in this case I merely mis-identified the author but not his political leanings. Norm Chomsky, a well known leftist thinker, has also criticized Zeitgeist. Neither, as far as I can see, has offered to dispute the essence of the message. And how do you see this film as a right or left message? It is off the scale of the old way of measuring such things.

I am no authority so I search to find a valid argument contesting the substance of Zeitgeist. I have not yet found it so the thesis remains intact.

markus
    Participant

It seems imminent the dollar will consistently devalue over the next few years. I’ve read about big investors changing a good part of their portfolios to Euros. And American executives insisting in being paid in Euros. Besides the Euro, gold, and a house in CR. What is a good hedge against the dollar? Thank you,

kordan

[quote=”sprite”]Kordan, you understand perfectly what is happening except that our most recent fiat currency system went into effect 80 years ago, not 40. Quantitative Easing is nothing new and has been the process employed by the FED since its inception. It is purposefully done as a way to devalue the currency because inflation is how the banks and the few rich are able to confiscate energy and wealth from the laboring population.

That is not true–up until 1972–There was still a partial gold standard–thats why gold was $35-in 1970

sprite

The last bit of precious metal (silver) in our currency was removed from the quarters in the mid sixties. There has been no gold in our currency for a long time. In fact, the government confiscated all the the gold in citizens’ hands in that year and supposedly stored it all in Fort Knox. For a long while, it was illegal for citizens to own gold as the government and banks converted the entire economy into a bankruptcy. Does anyone know what happened to all that gold? I have read that it was given to the banks in order to pay towards the government debt.

There is no real money in use today. We are using a fiat currency. We have been in a state of bankruptcy since 1933 and the only way we can pay bills today is with notes; credit notes and debit notes. Some examples of these notes are the dollars (debit notes which represent debt) and securities, of which promissory notes pertain. This is more significant that it appears when you consider that the banks and government have removed our means to settle debts except by notes. And guess who gets to print these notes and create the fiat money at will? Not the government. The private banks do this and there is no legal provision permitting them to do so. How do they get away with it?

kordan

[quote=”markus”]It seems imminent the dollar will consistently devalue over the next few years. I’ve read about big investors changing a good part of their portfolios to Euros. And American executives insisting in being paid in Euros. Besides the Euro, gold, and a house in CR. What is a good hedge against the dollar? Thank you,[/quote]

Farmland

smekuly

Property.. good location one that you can segment into smaller lots and sell

the sweet spot here is under $100,000 meaning if you have a large lot that can be broken up into smaller parcels that you can charge under $100,000 you have a good market

this has been my model now since I got off the brick and morter wagon.

i just sold 2 smaller 1000 meter lots for $80,000.

better than having money in a bank..

sprite

[quote=”smekuly”]Property.. good location one that you can segment into smaller lots and sell

the sweet spot here is under $100,000 meaning if you have a large lot that can be broken up into smaller parcels that you can charge under $100,000 you have a good market

this has been my model now since I got off the brick and morter wagon.

i just sold 2 smaller 1000 meter lots for $80,000.

better than having money in a bank..[/quote]

But you exchanged real property for fiat currency, land for paper, food and shelter for abstract numbers in cyberspace. And having money in the bank, or anywhere else for that matter, may not be such a good idea soon……

smekuly

hi sprite

the strategy is sound if you are holding any form of paper dollars.

I should have stated that I am referring to the selling of lots NOT to americans but local costa rican. I sold 7 lots the past 2 years and they were all sold to local costa ricans. average price 40 million colones.

I own a few nice 190 hectars in cartago and had segregated them all legal to lots ranging from 1000 to 7000 sq meters the smaller lots are off public roads and all have great views. no hard selling.

Sprite.. please share some of your strategies for people that have some paper money.

the best investment you can make in my opinion besides land is a small business. keep your overhead debt free and learn some new online skills to generate a cash flow.

look at scott for example. he uses membergate a cms platform. writes articles and free optin members so he builds a list. which he uses to build a relationship and in the end he generates commissions with the sales of properties. nice business model

you have various business models to choose from

adsense ( I have friends that live here and make $15 to 20 grand a month on adsense alone)

affiliate marketing

ecommerce

membership model.

you get the picture

just stay away from brick and morter businesses here

just mis dos colones

i

*Lotus

adsense ( I have friends that live here and make $15 to 20 grand a month on adsense alone)

affiliate marketing

ecommerce

membership model.

you get the picture

just stay away from brick and morter businesses here

just mis dos colones

i[/quote]

How do they generate this kind of cash flow with adsense?

sprite

smekuly,

I am NOT any kind of financial expert. I am just another worker slave who must participate and function within the system. I am only speculating on what to do since the dollar is bound to crash after the systemic failure reaches a certain level (so much additional currency has been created). The obvious increase of cost for commodities is the concern. Once credit fails, cash is king. The next step down in the spiral fall is for cash to fail. That leaves us with barter and only commodities will have value. If there is a step between currency failure and barter, please tell me about it. And I don’t understand how gold can ever come back into the equation after a systemic failure of the magnitude contemplated here.

Imxploring
    Participant

The US government via the CIA and NSA (don’t remember which one) had an interesting paper out a few years back that somehow saw the light of day, before the financial meltdown and the problems coming to a head at the moment. No cloak and dagger stuff… no conspiracy tale…just an opinion piece by some government researcher that the next big war or cause of worldwide civil conflict would be over clean water and FOOD! It dealt with global climate change and systematic financial failures on a worldwide scale. It was 8 pages or so, I had a copy saved on my computer and like most I tucked it away in the back of my mind as “Not in my lifetime”… go figure. I’m sure it really didn’t catch anyone’s attention at the time… but it seems that this fellow wasn’t all that wrong!

smekuly

Sprite

I am also still working for the “white man” so to speak. and you bring up some interesting things. if we ever get to the level where cash is king which we are experiencing more and more right now. for example. a large percentage of people looking for homes and property know the current situation with real estate and they have a few sheckles. so they bid these almost half price offers on houses and properties.

the step between cash and barter… good question.

growing your own food and weening yourself from the grid is an option. but then again the problem would be the rest of the people that failed to plan.. then you will be spending your time protecting your self from the unprepared trying to get your food and water.

me personally I believe technology will be the partial answer since we already have the technology for alot of great stuff.

when you mention water rationing.. there are already machines that can take pure water from the humidity form the air for drinking purposes.

pretty cool.

anyway.. one day at a time

here is 1 thing I am certain.

[b]better to be here in costa rica than back in the U.S. [/b]

the average tico still has the skill set on growing their own food and such.. while the average American has the skill set of heading to their nearest wallmart if they need anything.

i was one of them… before I cam here i knew nothing really on anything except spending money.. while here kind of forces you to learn and develop some new skills to move thru life on a day to day basis.

*Lotus

I don’t believe we will see such a collapse of civilization, but believe what you will (please no comparisons to the Romans:wink:) I don’t have the desire for that debate. But in such an event I’m not so sure how “gringos” will fair in CR when Ticos will look at “you” as the cause of this collapse. Certainly if as a few of you believe this cataclysmic event happens, Costa Rica as we know it will also collapse. Whether or not you will be able to live off the land and protect yourselves and family is highly suspect.

For now life is good here in NJ. Gold has been a great trade for the last 12 months and business has been steadily improving. No $24 dollar a loaf bread to be found and don’t write off the US dollar yet, especially for the Euro, certainly not for the colones. Pura Vida.

Andrew
    Keymaster

In case you missed it:

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.