Follower mentality..

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Follower mentality..

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    upeCity

Diego,
    Thanks for the encouraging words… I hope some day to make piece with my wondering spirit and set aside my ego. Only time will tell…

I understand your going home experience… I equate, reuniting with my ancestral roots to aclimating an animal raised in captivity. I’d beach myself and die…

Clinging to nationalistic ideals does keep us from coming to grips with our ultimate humanity. It’s also ripe with paradox, it serves to alienate us while bringing us together (birds of a feather) . It’s the very source of our tribal insecurities and comforts us by providing us an identity… Oh wait I left out , fodder for the war machine. What a mess…

Would we be content to be citizens of the world.? Our survival depends on it, but its a tough pill to swallow, that ego thing keeps getting in the way…..

Rick,

Edited on Jul 24, 2007 17:02

Alfred

I read Diego’s article early this morning, then realizing it would take to long to pen a response, and it would make me late for work, I went out to earn my living. I wasn’t sure there would be any responses, and I’m surprised by the amount of them. Lotus I especially enjoyed yours. I guess it’s the bit of New York in you that I appreciate.
    I thought this had the potential to be a hot button issue and I have to weigh in with my own opinion after allowing it to set in all day.
    I live in the USA, and at times I get my fill of the loss of freedoms, the over taxing, the frenetic pace at which we live and all the consumerism that goes along with life in our country…But! It is still my country, I live, work and raised my family here. Sometimes I have done very well and other times not so well. Still, I had the freedom to chose how to make my living and even to have been an entrepreneur a couple of times. I have the freedom to worship how I please, and I have the freedom not to if I choose. I can still go shopping in the middle of the night if I want to. I don’t live behind bars, and am not worried to leave my house unoccupied for any length of time. I have had the opportunity to do pretty much as I wanted most of my life. And I still have the right to vote!
    Having said that, I think Costa Rica, if it has not gotten too expensive for my wife and I to live in by the time we retire, is a great option. An option that was afforded to us by living and working in the USA. Our being in this country has allowed us to be able to make those choices simply because of the system that has given us so much.
    The USA is not a perfect country, but neither are many others. And I’m not here to say we have the best one on earth, but if I’m not mistaken, Costa Rica based its system of government on ours. There are attributes of our country that are noble and decent, and there are many people who are as well. The entire country is not made up of politicians.
    As far as the politicians in Costa Rica being like children with the money they are entrusted to from the public, I think that might be a bit off. They were elected by the people, and by association, I think it reflects poorly on the electorate. Most of the Ticos I’ve met are intelligent and take their right to vote seriously. They do complain a lot however, and I think that is healthy. They want better government as we do, and realize its shortcomings. Also it is a very young democracy and it will take time for them to correct the problems their country has.
    In closing, Diego, you are the enigma. Sometimes I find myself cheering you on, and other times, like this one, I’m banging my fist on the monitor. I am glad to have read the article you wrote, because it does reflect the ideas and opinions any of us might have. I know I’m thankful to be able to have those opinions to read and to respond to. Thanks for taking the time and effort to voice them.

Just some food for thought. I would like to know if anyone knows why most peoples of the world are trying to get into the USA, instead of trying to leave it?

Roark

Based on your article Diego, it seems that Ticos want their cake and eat it too. Free health care without paying for it. Of course that mentality is ubiquitous here in the states. It is that mentality that is eroding our freedom.

upeCity

Alfred,

You pose the question: “does anyone know why most peoples of the world are trying to get into the USA”…

America is great(est). But, the (rhetorical?) question was over the top, in an otherwise brilliant response . This kind of talk exposes our occasional arrogance.
    Yes, our southern border is porous. Yes, I would venture to guess most people looking to immigrate look to the US. We are a generous host…

But, “Most people of the world are not trying to get into the USA”.

In fairness to “most people of the world”… There is a US exit door. Many of us have already used it… Many more will. As we pass the exit door, we dream of a simpler life, affordable luxuries, lower taxes, healthcare… Their dreams involve opportunity, jobs, education, security, etc… The common thread is we both seek those things beyond our reach.

The key is, unlike our neighbors to the south we fly coach. We don’t load our wife and kids into sealed tractor trailers or raft across the gulf stream at night on innertubes. Be very thankful…

Yes, Diego might be a riddle wrapped in an enigma… aren’t we all…

Cheers,
    Rick

Alfred

upeCity, You’re right, bad choice of one word. I should have said “Many.” It may have been a bit arrogant of me to use the word “Most.” I guess that’s what happens for having lived here so long. LOL
    I was not only making reference to our southern border. Immigration from Ireland alone is second to that of Latin America.
    Opportunity for a better life still exists here, although I believe it is becoming less of a great one.
    I also do agree about the simpler life. This was the main reason we considered CR an attractive place to retire.

Thanks,
    Al

upeCity

Al,
    Hey, when you factor in the margin of error your still batting a thousand… It was unfair of me to single out that one word…. I agree with your sentiment.

Rick

diego

Thank you for the response and well thought out. I try to provoke self examination through challenging our personal beliefs which allow us to refine them or reinforce them. I am purposely provocative for the before mentioned reasons.

Regarding why most people come to the US – its the money and the freedom and the entitlements – depending on who you are. Let me say this right away. When 911 happened I was here in CR and my first instinct was to get on a plane to the US and defend my country. I am a patriot but also a realist. Living in reality means that nothing is static including our freedoms. They are being challenged by big and small government from the patriot act to seat belt laws to anti smoking campaigns. Citizen need to participate and question.

When push comes to shove the only way to respond is to withhold the pay check. Same in CR. When I build or participate in services I withhold as much of the compensation as possible until I see the results. In the states we pay upfront before we see the results and that is why we have the squanders – the spoiled bratty politicians that basically deserve no respect because they have no honor. Obama seems like the only one with respect and integrity. BTW I loved the you-tube participation because it eliminated the spineless media to a certain extent. They are worse than the politicians.

Hey Scott – now your web site is making people late for work! Watch out you could be labled an anarchist

diego

That is one reason this country has one of the highest percapita debt. I do belive as someone mentioned that there is the money to fund the goverment but it is being stolen.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Anarquista” por favor …

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

upeCity

Diego,
    There is a saying in Spanish, “Musico pago no toca bonito”… translation: “Paid musicians don’t play pretty”…. withholding works…

Regarding, freedom… I see the left/right, liberal/conservative thing as a weapon used to divide and conquer us… The corporate controlled media with its Hannity and Colmes, paid mouth pieces and boot licks are the pied pipers that lead us by our noses to battle each other… They push our buttons, distract us, while their handlers pick our pockets and send our kids off to die…. Another reason to opt out of the system…

Their is no left and right… only right and wrong…

Andrew
    Keymaster

If that doesn’t hit the nail – upeCity – bang on then I don’t know what does… The sad fact of the matter is that so few people actually ‘think’ or ‘question’ what they are told.

When a huge percentage of the US population still believe that Saddam Hussein was responsible for 9/11 then something is VERY, VERY wrong with that “corporate controlled media” system.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

simondg

Isn’t it true that those mobile rocket launchers in Collin Powell’s U.N., satellite picture, power point presentation actually belonged to a local franchise; “Ali’s Kebab’s”. They offered high quality take-out and did not deserve to be implicated in the war on terror – they had a few complaints about their “all you can eat buffet”, but really – this goes too far!

Alfred

Remember, “Anarquistas” are real people too.
    Talk radio is something I listen to frequently on my commute from work. Some are indeed mouthpieces as was mentioned, and some are still free thinkers. The thing I have found out is even a broken clock is right twice a day. There is always some truth to be learned from what someone has to say.
    The free thinking that goes on this website is one good example of open and free exchanges of ideas. We all have something to contribute, whether or not we always agree with what someone has to say.
    The fact that the majority of us question things we see, hear and read shows we have not become automatrons…At least not yet.

Alfred

Scott, Just to show any of us can be as enigmatic as Diego, I give you this link to a video that was sent to me. It is not very compimentary of the US government with regards to 911. I saw the entire one hour presentation. It is very interesting and quite scary at the same time.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6242151072445559433&q=in+plane+sight&total=309&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

Andrew
    Keymaster

I have seen that yes … Thanks for sharing.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.