Fluorine free salt

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Fluorine free salt

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    VictoriaLST

M are you suggesting that rural Costa Ricans eat a diet as balanced as yours? If so, you know nothing about rural CR.

maravilla

i live in rural costa rica, V. where did you think i lived? i know exactly what most of the ticos eat, and gringos, too, and yes, i could see where they would have nutrient deficiencies far beyond just yodo and iron.

At schools in C.R. the CCSS dentists visit once per year, and they put FLUORINE on the kids teeths 👿 I do not allow them to do that and my kids deny to open their mouth when the doctor comes with the drops. Our dentist in Tilaran says my kids have the healthiest teeth he has ever seen. Well, I did not feed them sugar and candies when they were small, and they got plenty of mama´s milk 😀 So I guess there is no need of that extra portion of fluorine-poison.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”maravilla”]i live in rural costa rica, V. where did you think i lived? i know exactly what most of the ticos eat, and gringos, too, and yes, i could see where they would have nutrient deficiencies far beyond just yodo and iron.[/quote]

Yes, but you are more fortunate than most of us in that you have ready access to the San Ramon kelp beds. Not everyone is so lucky.

maravilla

good for you! there are plenty of studies that show that this idea that it prevents tooth decay is bogus and that in cities where water is NOT fluoridated, there is actually less incidences of caries. i never allowed those drop on my child’s teeth either, nor have any of us used fluoridated toothpaste.

maravilla

kelp beds? am i missing something? you can buy nori in almost every macro here, though. and i have someone mule in bags of organic kelp powder. plus if you eat any fish, shrimp, or lobster at all, you are probably get sufficient amounts of yodo.

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]….

The iron, which is added to milk and some other products is there to replace that lost through menstruation. Unlike iodine, it is closely associated with cardiac disease in males and post menopausal women.

[/quote]

In nature, milk is only for babies (humane and animals). Once they are able to eat adults food they do not need the milk any more. Nature provides tons of food for women to satisfy their need of extra iron ( check it out on google) without the need of buying box milk or other pre-fab food with artificial iron added. There is also natural iodine-containing food (seafood and fish, some veggies). A blood test every once in a while will show deficiency of any kind (thyroide hormones, anemia etc.).

raggedjack

I never add salt to anything I eat. I never knew it was so complicated! I just don’t care for the taste…

[quote=”raggedjack”]I never add salt to anything I eat. I never knew it was so complicated! I just don’t care for the taste…[/quote]

I do not eat anything without salt 8) I hate tasteless food. The day salt disappears from the planet I will probably drop 50 pounds.

maravilla

salt is an important element for the body. there is a fabulous book our called “Salt” — it’s 800 pages of why salt is the most important mineral in the world. entire civilizations were started around salt beds. it’s a very interesting book. but here is just one article that outlines the importance of salt in your diet. salt is what binds all the flavors of food together. my favorite salt is fleur de sel from france.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/the-importance-of-salt-in-your-diet.html

VictoriaLST

[quote=”maravilla”]i live in rural costa rica, V. where did you think i lived? i know exactly what most of the ticos eat, and gringos, too, and yes, i could see where they would have nutrient deficiencies far beyond just yodo and iron.[/quote]

First, I figured you for Central Valley, close to SJ and shopping – yes, I know there are places near SJ that are rural.

If you know that ticos “and gringos” have dietary deficiencies, would you deny them easy access to what their bodies need? Or do you just want to lose a generation or two while you educate them on how to eat properly? And what steps are you taking to improve nutritional education in your area?

And, yes, flouride does strengthen teeth. With the poor dental care of the majority of rural Ticos, flouride could help.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Victoria, I think the premise we’re working under here is that it’s easier, better, more certain to somehow influence the day-to-day behavior of (say) 4.25 million people by getting them to switch to iodine-rich foodstuffs than it is to impose a requirement on (maybe) two or three salt purveyors that they add a smidgen of iodine to their product (at almost no cost) which is almost universally used.

So yes, it’s better to supply Costa Ricans’ iodine needs with some combination of kelp and muled-in supplements (neither or which most of them have ever heard of much less have any access to) than to add the iodine to their salt.

In scientific terms, this is known as changing the universe to fit the equation.

maravilla

i am more than one hour away from SJO and live where there are more cows than people. Systemic ingestion of fluoride does not improve teeth or prevent cavities. there are dozens of studies that prove this. and the topical application of fluoride is questionable in the prevention of caries — studies done in the last ten years show that cities with no fluordation have lower incidences of cavities. and nobody has a fluoride deficiency. as for other nutritional deficiencies, the standard american diet, laden with too much sugar, chemicals, and processed ingredients has been the downfall of an entire population, and the Ticos have succumbed to the propaganda to eat this stuff, too. there is no mystery why costa rica is suffering from an obesity, heart disease, and diabetes epidemic. i do as much as i can to educate people about what not to eat, and what to eat, but you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it think.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”maravilla”]. . . you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it think.[/quote] which is precisely why it is better public policy in some instances to mandate certain behaviors on a relatively few individuals like (say) purveyors of salt than to try to change the behavior of an entire population.

This is not unlike Mayor Michael Bloomberg of New York City outlawing oversize sugar-laden soft drinks in an attempt to reduce excess caloric intake. It is much more effective to control the behavior of a relatively few individuals (7-Eleven, McD’s, Burger King, et al) than to change the habits of eight million citizens.

maravilla

dang, David! this is the second time we’re agreed on something. i agree wholeheartedly with Bloomie’s practice of taxing the crap out of cigarettes (they are $13.00 a pack in Manhattan) and regulating how much soda a person can drink in one sitting. obviously there is a serious problem about lack of common sense or even control over what some people will consume. these bad choices put a burden on everyone and one society as a whole. if they aren’t smart enough to not drink 64 oz of Coke with a pseudo-beef hamburger, then yes, someone should make that choice for them. (i’m ducking now!)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.