Fluorine free salt

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Fluorine free salt

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)
  • Author

Does anyone know if and where you can buy, in Costa Rica, salt that is free of any chemicals such as fluorine and jodine ?

pharg
    Participant

[quote=”elindermuller”]Does anyone know if and where you can buy, in Costa Rica, salt that is free of any chemicals such as fluorine and jodine ?[/quote]

When you say “salt,” you probably mean table salt as a condiment. Table salt is overwhelmingly sodium chloride: about 99%.

There are other anions of the halide series, especially bromide, fluoride, iodide and astatide, which are normally present in trace amounts, even in table salt that is not “iodized”.

These are pretty much in all table salt, which is normally mined in various places (that is, it is fossil dried up ocean water).

“Sea Salt” also contains all of these, plus more. The only sodium chloride NOT containing the other halides is reagent grade sodium chloride, used in lab experiments.

I strongly doubt that any table salt lacks these trace amounts. Table salt may also contain sodium ferrocyanide [in nontoxic amounts], and traces of other salts that retard caking such as silicon dioxide, calcium & magnesium carbonate, calcium aluminosilicate, and tricalcium phosphate.

You could probably buy reagent grade salt (that is, sodium chloride) in Costa Rica, but it would be prohibitively expensive. Better to forget this mini chemistry lecture and just buy un-iodized table salt.

😉

maravilla

i buy La Serenita brand sea salt — it has no added fluoride or yoda. or, i buy pink himalayan salt. i would never ever use that stuff in the stores with the blue top. that is table salt with both fluoride AND yoda. and some sea salts have it added, too. you have to read the labels.

pharg
    Participant

[quote=”maravilla”] i buy pink himalayan salt. …………. you have to read the labels.[/quote]

Yes, himalayan pink salt has the distinction of being several hundred million years old, and in addition to being 95-96% sodium chloride, is up to 2% calcium sulfate dihydrate [that is, gypsum: great for wallboard, not so much for digestion]. The pink color is due to iron oxide, which we call “rust”. You don’t see this on the label, but hey, everyone needs a little iron for “strong blood”
    Merry Xmas. 😛

maravilla

still better than the table salt they sell here that is adulterated with the two things i don’t want to consume — fluoride and iiodine, unless they are naturally-occurring.

[quote=”maravilla”]i buy La Serenita brand sea salt — it has no added fluoride or yoda. or, i buy pink himalayan salt. i would never ever use that stuff in the stores with the blue top. that is table salt with both fluoride AND yoda. and some sea salts have it added, too. you have to read the labels.[/quote]

Where do you get the Serenita salt ? Have never seen it in Tilaran.

maravilla

only the macros sell it.

VictoriaLST

Personally, I prefer flourine and iodine to rust, but hey, that’s just me 😆

maravilla

the “rust” is really not something to worry about, where as fluoride and iodine (neither naturally-occuring but chemicals of dubious origin) are.

http://www.saltnews.com/2012/03/are-there-dangerous-amounts-of-iron-in-salt/

pharg
    Participant

[quote=”maravilla”]the “rust” is really not something to worry about, where as fluoride and iodine (neither naturally-occuring but chemicals of dubious origin) are.
    [/quote]

Last flog of a dead horse.
    Nearly all table salt is dried or fossil seawater. In normal liquid seawater, fluorine is about 13 parts per million; iodine is much less: 0.064 parts per million. So, both are “naturally occurring”.
    ALL chemical elements are the result of stellar explosions over the last 13 billion years, so they are not of “dubious origin”.
    Iodine is a NECESSARY micronutrient. Deficiency leads to hypothryroidism due to loss of thyroid hormones, leading to goiters, depression, weight gain; also this deficiency is the leading cause of PREVENTABLE mental retardation..
    The End

maravilla

here in costa rica, they ADD fluoride and yodo. i don’t have a problem with either of these things naturally-occuring in my salt, but these are CHEMICALS they add for whatever reason.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Well, they’ve added it because iodine is missing in the Costa Rican diet, as it is in many places and it’s preventive of depression and hypothyroidism, as Pharg has already pointed out.

The iron, which is added to milk and some other products is there to replace that lost through menstruation. Unlike iodine, it is closely associated with cardiac disease in males and post menopausal women.

maravilla

the iron we were haggling about was what is in pink salt. it’s [b]fluoride and iodine[/b] that they add to salt here. i was not aware that Ticos were deficient in iodine, or iron for that matter. if you eat a good diet, it really isn’t necessary to supplement those things. it is always better to get these nutrients from whole food rather than have them added in the form of chemicals, which the body often can’t assimilate. someone gave me a kilo of fresh sea salt from the flats BEFORE the salt went to the processing plant to have those two chemicals added. i wish they’d stop with the fluoride already, but they’ve bought into the propaganda. i’m just grateful that there is salt available here that doesn’t have it ADDED.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Actually, iodine, among other micronutrients, is deficient in the typical Costa Rican diet as it is in the American diet. Adding a trace amount of iodine to a commonly consumed foodstuff like salt can prevent the very diet-related problems that Pharg outlined above.

This is the same basic rationale as that for adding iron, vitamins A and D, and folic acid to milk. There are few or no arguments against these inclusions and the arguments in favor of them are compelling. Folic acid, for example, is known to prevent spinal column birth defects (can you say “spina bifida”).

maravilla

yes, i know about the folic acid-sprinal bifida connection. milk from grassfed cows — not FACTORY COWS — actually contain sufficient amounts of A and D, which is one of the arguments for consuming raw milk from grassfed animals. as for iodine, i eat all the foods that have it naturally, such as seaweed and kelp. but there are other foods, too. as usual, it’s diets heavily laden with processed food and refined sugars that are that are deficient in iodine (and other nutrients).

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/natural-foods-high-in-iodine.php

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.