Electricity Prices in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Electricity Prices in Costa Rica

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″][quote=”Imxploring”]I do however question whether…he’s lost his fire..too quick to accept… willingness to just go along…the olde boy has gone soft…joined the sheep![/quote]
    I guess I’ll let waggoner41 speak for himself about all that. But once again you automatically assume that anyone who disagrees with you is suffering some type of character flaw.

By the way, pointing out that electricity rates that increase with usage can’t be a plot against Gringos if it also affects Ticos doesn’t actually require one to live in Costa Rica. It just requires the ability to think logically.[/quote]

Logic is nice. Political games are another. While I fully understand the logic of higher rates for more usage thus encouraging conservation I’m sure (there was another thread recently about the huge electric bills folks at the beach were getting hit with) the new pricing structure benefits those living a low use Tico lifestyle while seriously impacting many expats. Politicians don’t like to hit those they can easily manipulate.

The great news is that the luxury tax and electric rates have become bargaining points in real estate price negotiations near the beach. Mentioning both this week opened a seller to a bit more flexibility on his price.

Luckily in the mountains my usage is low. But I can empathize with those getting slammed but the new rates.

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”Scott”]Hi, I also live here, I have also paid the luxury property tax.

I have also visited the Hacienda to chat about this because to begin with they told me my apartment was not liable for the luxury tax and then, when I sold it, they said I had to pay just under $6,000 in luxury property tax…

I don’t know about you but I can think of other things I would like to have done with that money. But without paying that tax, [url=https://www.welovecostarica.com/public/2058.cfm]my little penthouse apartment[/url] could not be sold.

As for the luxury property tax being gringo tax, that’s nonsense, we expats always like to think we are more important than we really are and, that our ‘contribution’ to the economy is bigger than it really is…

Having said that, the Hacienda confirmed to me that less than 25% of the people who should be paying the luxury property tax have actually paid the luxury property tax….

But when they need to sell, this will have to paid before the closing….

Scott

[/quote]

I’d love to know what percentage of expats are that are getting hit with the tax compared to Ticos. The second issue becomes… when do they drop the hammer and start ACTIVELY going after owners without waiting for the house to be sold?

I’m guessing Scott that the $6000 you paid was not for one year alone and included the years you should have been paying plus some interest and penalties?

Do you feel the same misinformation (being told you weren’t subject to the tax) and subsequent charges on transfer would have applied to a Tico or would there have been a little more discretion and flexibility given to a local?

waggoner41

[quote=”barbara ann”]besides taxes, most ex pats don’t know that if you ask you will get a ten percent discount at almost all businesses, not the grocery stores, but pharmacies,restaurants.[/quote]

It seems odd to me that we never had to ask for the 10% discount. We pay cash for everything and a 10% discount for cash is the norm with the exception of the grocers.

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”waggoner41″][quote=”barbara ann”]besides taxes, most ex pats don’t know that if you ask you will get a ten percent discount at almost all businesses, not the grocery stores, but pharmacies,restaurants.[/quote]

It seems odd to me that we never had to ask for the 10% discount. We pay cash for everything and a 10% discount for cash is the norm with the exception of the grocers.[/quote]

Two magic words in most transactions here in Costa Rica!

“Descuento Efectivo”

Works 90% of the time… and once they know you understand it… they usually give it to you automatically. 🙂

waggoner41

[quote=”costaricafinca”]Many of the stores & businesses that offer ‘10% off’ have higher prices to start with…[/quote]

I have one great example to refute that contention. We buy our needed medications at Farmacia El Sol in Santa Ana. After shopping around at various pharmacies in San Jose and Colon we found their prices were consistently lower and they offered the additional 10% discount for cash from the get-go.

They even beat the prices at PriceSmart.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Lucky you!!!

waggoner41

[quote=”sweikert925″]I’ve only seen a few wind turbines in my trips to CR so far but looks like I may see a lot more if I follow through on my plan to concentrate on the north next time. I think the ones I saw must have been the ones located in Los Santos according to the map I linked to above since it was on the way to Cartago.

With all that volcanic activity I wonder how much effort may be put into tapping geothermal energy for more of its energy needs?[/quote]

As you drive the San Jose-Caldera pista as you pass the turn-off to Ciudad Colon, look to the left and you will see the beginnings of a wind farm.

So far they have installed about 20 wind towers and I believe they are not finished yet.

On Google earth at 9? 54’47.33” N x 84? 12’32.58” W you can find some photos of the towers. Since I moved her in 2007 wind electricity production has doubled from 74 MW to 143 MW.

costaricafinca
    Participant

There are 52 across the road from where we used to live…with more planned.

waggoner41

[quote=”costaricafinca”]There are 52 across the road from where we used to live…with more planned.[/quote]

The question I have is who is building them. Is it ICE or is it some private company?

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”waggoner41″][quote=”costaricafinca”]There are 52 across the road from where we used to live…with more planned.[/quote]

The question I have is who is building them. Is it ICE or is it some private company?[/quote]

Many of the wind farms in the Tilaran mountains up my way around Lake Arenal are private companies on some type of contract or concession agreement. I have to say it looks rather futuristic going out on the deck in the morning with a cup of coffee looking at windmills lining the mountain ridge across the lake! I don’t think it ruins the view at all… it a wonderful mix of nature and the future…. one that doesn’t poison or destroy the environment!

waggoner41

[quote=”Imxploring”][quote=”waggoner41″][quote=”costaricafinca”]There are 52 across the road from where we used to live…with more planned.[/quote]

The question I have is who is building them. Is it ICE or is it some private company?[/quote]

Many of the wind farms in the Tilaran mountains up my way around Lake Arenal are private companies on some type of contract or concession agreement. I have to say it looks rather futuristic going out on the deck in the morning with a cup of coffee looking at windmills lining the mountain ridge across the lake! I don’t think it ruins the view at all… it a wonderful mix of nature and the future…. one that doesn’t poison or destroy the environment![/quote]

In answer to my question I came across this article a couple of days ago. It explains a lot.
    [url=http://www.ticotimes.net/2012/09/07/a-renewable-power-generation-primer]A renewable power generation primer[/url]

Doug Ward

C’mon guys everyone knows this is all going toward the Costa Rican Space Program. The same guys that build roads are building a shuttle out od Poxipol, expanding foam, silicon, and zinc. They’re looking for investors to put Franklin Changss plasma engine on it so they can teach the residents of Jupiter how to install a septic system.

Doug Ward

UPDATE. It was 90% done but the workers scrapped it for dippity-doo, perfume and new cell phones. They’ve applied for another grant.

waggoner41

[quote=”sweikert925″]Thanks for that link, waggoner41. That very neatly explains where Costa Rica’s power situation is and where it may be headed.

I hope the next president and legislature elected next month see sense and opens up the power market a bit to other players besides ICE.[/quote]

Private power companies are going to be the solution. ICE has neither the cash, the ambition or the backbone to stand up to labor.

jtou

Can someone please give me the current residential and commercial rates for both energy used and the demand charge? Thank you.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.