Electricity Prices in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Electricity Prices in Costa Rica

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Unfortunately, the price paid by Costa Rican *industry* for electricity consumption is now 41% higher than in the European Union and 259% higher than in the U.S.

Industry has expressed its anger against the rising cost of electricity as it is making production more expensive and exports are becoming less competitive against rival markets where energy is cheaper.

In 2013 in the U.S. the average kilowatt/hour was worth 6.8 cents, and in the EU the average price was 12.4 cents, while in Costa Rica the cost was 17.6 cents.

Spanish speakers can read the full article at:

[url=http://www.nacion.com/nacional/servicios-publicos/lluvia-deudas-ICE-amenazan-encarecer_0_1392060837.html]Menos lluvia y deudas con ICE amenazan con encarecer la luz
    [/url]

Non-Spanish readers can paste the Spanish article into the [url=http://translate.google.com/#es/en/]Google Translate application here[/url] to get a decent English version..

Industry and residential prices are different but they are both too high and residents are suffering at the hands of the bloated electricity generating organization [url=http://www.grupoice.com/wps/portal/gice/elect_hub/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os_gQL0N_D2cLEwMLVy8XA0_XQHfPIKNQIxNHA6B8JJK8QYClq4GnmauvZZCZq4GBgQkxug1wAKA8ft1-Hvm5qfoFuaER5Y6KigDtr2ux/dl3/d3/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/#.UuFnzGTnZ4s]ICE[/url].

What do you think should be done?

barbara ann

We live in Jaco. The beginning of last year ICE raised their rates either 2 or 3 times within 3 months. then they changed their billing method. It used to be a tiered system of charges, I believe there were three levels. Now there are two. over 200 KWH is one rate and under 200 KWH is another. we did a spreadsheet and took it to ICE. Our electric is within 100 kwh each month. For example we were paying in Jaco $185 a month now we pay 250 if we are lucky. We paid to have blown in insulation put in the attic because it was 300 a month. So the insulation brought a 50 decrease. We only use air in our bedroom at night set at 25. We have a propane range and water heater.

We are disgusted. it is hot here and the air conditioning is just so expensive. We lived in Arizona before. Our budget bill was 200 a month using the air whenever we needed it. Even in the 120 degree weather. At least in Arizona we could get some relief from the heat at a lower rate.

I don’t know what the answer is but there are Americans leaving because of these outrageous bills. Businesses are struggling here because their rates are high too.

barbara ann

I forgot to add, the government seems to be adding taxes, increasing taxes that mostly apply to foreigners. Not only the electric is going up but additional increases are coming across the board. It is though the government has the mindset that everyone that comes here has an unlimited income. I guess I am paranoid.

pharg
    Participant

[quote=”Scott”]

Non-Spanish readers can paste the Spanish article into the [url=http://translate.google.com/#es/en/]Google Translate application here[/url] to get a decent English version..
    [/quote]

Not related to electricity, but my faith in Google Translate is pretty low, if you get your Tico news that way.
    I had to laugh out loud at this one.

I usually don’t rely on online translation, but today I was looking through ‘La Nacion’, one of Costa Rica’s daily papers, using Google Translate.

Prominent was this Google translated headline:

[b]Blue strings of electric saving monkeys[/b]

Who could resist checking that out?

The story was about installing blue nylon ropes across highways at treetop level so that endangered marmosets could move about without being electrocuted by transmission wires.

The original article headline was:

[b]
    Cuerdas azules salvan a monos de electrocución[/b]

I would translate that as:
    [b]
    Blue ropes are saving monkeys from electrocution[/b]

Made my day.
    PEH

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″]Which taxes “mostly apply to foreigners”?[/quote]

Corp Tax… Luxury home tax…CAJA Tax… Exit Tax…Automotive import tax…. Energy pricing tiered tax! Those are a few of the “taxes” that hit expats more so than Ticos. While some might not be considered “taxes” they’re designed to extracted a government fee that will most likely not impact Ticos… but will hit expats for sure.

Then there’s the Gringo price tax that you’ll pay locally to anyone that thinks they might be able to impose their own personal “tax” on you! LOL

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″][quote=”Imxploring”]Corp Tax… Luxury home tax…CAJA Tax… Exit Tax…Automotive import tax…. Energy pricing tiered tax![/quote]

All of those hit Ticos too.[/quote]

Not the majority of them…. but that was the plan and continues to be the plan. Fees and taxes that have been put in place in the last few years have hit expats more so then the Ticos.

The electric issue will be a killer… as many folks at the beach are seeing. It’s really bad Steve…

There was a report on the radio here today that rainfall declines this year will result in yet another electricity increase.

barbara ann

besides taxes, most ex pats don’t know that if you ask you will get a ten percent discount at almost all businesses, not the grocery stores, but pharmacies,restaurants,. If you don’t ask you will not get it. And at the Social Security office there is a gold card for people over 65 that offers discounts..including ten per cent at CIMA, free entry to national parks and it is a free card. I have not thoroughly investigated all the benefits but I have been told that in San Jose there are other opportunities to use it. I know Cima and the parks for sure.

waggoner41

[quote=”Imxploring”][quote=”sweikert925″]Which taxes “mostly apply to foreigners”?[/quote]

Corp Tax… Luxury home tax…CAJA Tax… Exit Tax…Automotive import tax…. Energy pricing tiered tax! Those are a few of the “taxes” that hit expats more so than Ticos. While some might not be considered “taxes” they’re designed to extracted a government fee that will most likely not impact Ticos… but will hit expats for sure.

Then there’s the Gringo price tax that you’ll pay locally to anyone that thinks they might be able to impose their own personal “tax” on you! LOL[/quote]

Taxes are imposed on those who have the cash to pay them. If you think the Tico high earners aren’t getting hit with the same taxes that we are, ask them. The answers you get will amaze you.

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″][quote=”Imxploring”]Energy pricing tiered tax!
    [i]All of those hit Ticos too.[/i]
    Not the majority of them….[/quote]
    So if Ticos are sensible enough to conserve energy but wasteful Gringos are not, this is all part of the plan to squeeze more money out of those Gringos eh? More paranoia, seems to me.[/quote]

Come now Steve…. we both know that PARANOIA is the UNFOUNDED fear that people are out to get you…. unfortunately, in the cases we’re talking about, there are plenty of folks on this board that actually LIVE and OWN property here in Costa Rica that have the PERSONAL EXPERIENCE and RECIEPTS to back up their concern! Something you perhaps lack at this point. LOL

Perhaps when you do make the jump and invest and live here in COSTA RICA your OPINIONS which, for the most part, are based on what you’ve read or have discovered after an Internet Google search will carry more weight.

For now you might be best off learning something here from folks that do have personal experience living and investing in Costa Rica that have been impacted by many of the changes that have, and are taking place here. Many of which have impacted expats disproportionately. Some changes have been good, others not so good.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Many of the stores & businesses that offer ‘10% off’ have higher prices to start with…

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”costaricafinca”]Many of the stores & businesses that offer ‘10% off’ have higher prices to start with…[/quote]

All part on “retailing”…. getting people to believe they got a deal… hence they shop with you again! Just part of the human psyche.

Much like the art of advertising…. Getting people to buy things they don’t need with money they don’t have! 🙂

davidd

I would have to agree partially with your statement media mogul sweikert 😀

there is indeed a difference between living here day to day.. and experiencing life and the application of laws here with all its nuances

and just visiting and reading all about it on the internet.

You regurgitate info you read and make it your own.

instead of being a student and asking questions from people that live here you debate these endless scenarios.

but Like I always have stated

you enjoy this mental masturbation :roll::roll::roll:

good to see your still going strong

keep up the good work..

I will check back in 60 days to check up on you

[quote=”sweikert925″][quote=”Imxploring”]
    Perhaps when you do make the jump and invest and live here in COSTA RICA your OPINIONS which, for the most part, are based on what you’ve read or have discovered after an Internet Google search will carry more weight.[/quote]
    Well if that’s the yardstick then I guess your opinion should always win over mine. But you live in CR only part-time and waggoner41 lives there full-time, so I guess his opinion on this trumps yours.[/quote]

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″][quote=”Imxploring”]
    Perhaps when you do make the jump and invest and live here in COSTA RICA your OPINIONS which, for the most part, are based on what you’ve read or have discovered after an Internet Google search will carry more weight.[/quote]
    Well if that’s the yardstick then I guess your opinion should always win over mine. But you live in CR only part-time and waggoner41 lives there full-time, so I guess his opinion on this trumps yours.[/quote]

Perhaps you’re right Steve… and he is quite wise. I do however question whether or not he’s lost his fire. He’s become too quick to accept that there is nothing that can be done or that folks have a right to be upset or fight back. His willingness to just go along with the CAJA increases he and the misses got hit with this month (17% and 43%) and some of his other recent statements makes me think the olde boy has gone soft and joined the sheep! No insult Les… perhaps Pura Vida has just mellowed you! 🙂

Get back to work Steve… before the boss notices you on the internet! LOL

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi, I also live here, I have also paid the luxury property tax.

I have also visited the Hacienda to chat about this because to begin with they told me my apartment was not liable for the luxury tax and then, when I sold it, they said I had to pay just under $6,000 in luxury property tax…

I don’t know about you but I can think of other things I would like to have done with that money. But without paying that tax, [url=https://www.welovecostarica.com/public/2058.cfm]my little penthouse apartment[/url] could not be sold.

As for the luxury property tax being gringo tax, that’s nonsense, we expats always like to think we are more important than we really are and, that our ‘contribution’ to the economy is bigger than it really is…

Having said that, the Hacienda confirmed to me that less than 25% of the people who should be paying the luxury property tax have actually paid the luxury property tax….

But when they need to sell, this will have to paid before the closing….

Scott

costaricafinca
    Participant

I forgot to address the actual topic. Barbara Ann said [i]”Our electric is within 100 kwh each month..”[/i] and pays approx $250. Our usage shows approx. 205kwh per month, and this month we paid ICE 15,885c. [u]not[/u] including the ‘add-ons’. We are in the interior of Guanacaste.
    BTW we have a large house but with few appliances or conveniences…:wink:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.