Education in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Education in Costa Rica

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    sueandchris

[quote=”2BNCR”]You don’t go to a school that teaches science if you want to be a farmer. You don’t go to school that teaches farming to be a scientist.

So I really don’t get the point here (if there is any).

Costa Rica schools do a good job of teaching social skills. Not all Costa Rica schools are the same. Some are strict (I assume) and some are not. One thing I can tell from my observations is that Ticos are very social and charming. Where they learn this charm and style is from a combination of variables and I am sure one of the variables in the equation is school since so much time is spent there.

I would love to see Costa Rican return to agriculture. Doubt if it will happen though, especially under the progressive leadership that champions free trade female equality etc etc.

So go to a local school if you want your kids to have traditional values and goals (agricultural). Most Tico parents I know would love to send their kids to private school. My kid goes to a private school that is 67% Tico and teaches in English.

So why is it 67% Tico? Changing values is why; Tradition is fading in Costa Rica. Catch it while you can, US values and ways are pouring through the crack in the green wall. Too bad…[/quote]

Gee Whiz! We sure don’t want any more of that pesky “female equality” pouring in through some crack in the “green wall”! And since when is “female equality” a product of (only) the United States?

2bncr

I am not a racist or misogynist so please don’t play the male guilt card regarding women as I don’t do racial or gender guilt. My observation is that female equality in Costa Rica has been lagging. Hard core feminist are loathed here. The idea of a female president is rather strange to many Ticos. Traditional values are a staple to Costa Rica life and many US women have a hard time dealing with the macho attitudes here. Like it or not they are hear. Remember mother’s day is the biggest federal holiday where the most money is spent. Ticos are hardly anti-woman, but their attitude that women are the same as men (equality) exist to a much lesser degree. They worship mom. Women as the boss in the work place? Not so much. You’ll see.

My advice to US women is to walk softly here as overly assertive gringas tend to bring a wrath of gossip among both sexes and if you live in a Tico neighborhood it can make coexisting less comfortable. Ticas don’t particularly like their husbands taking orders from women and Ticos who are more charming when it comes to this subject privately will tell you they don’t like working for women. If you don’t believe me, live here, build here or work here and you will see what I mean.

tonycarz

Female equality is lagging? Yes, you are correct. The Costa Rican roads are also lagging. I don’t like it as a Gringo that I get charged more then a Tico. Is it not possible that the Costa Rican’s well known politeness, helpful demeanor and the importance of family could possibly be traced back (partially) to “old school” traditional values? Is it not possible that their poor roads are reflected in the low taxes? I do not see the benefit of Gringo’s getting charged more for goods……but in the end, we all have a choice. We can CHOOSE to live in their country by their rules, social norms, bad roads etc. or we can CHOOSE to live in the States, push our children to be competitive in the market place, try to keep them from harms way, try to explain why we don’t want them on the computer 24/7, in front of the TV 24/7, why we feel we must be superior in every way to other Countries, etc. There is far more to debate, but again, in the end we have a choice. My only issue here is PLEASE don’t go to another Country and expect them to accommodate your thoughts and ideals. In Costa Rica, relax, enjoy the scenery, and if you are fortunate enough to live there, enjoy it, as there are those of us who would very much like to be there, but don’t have the resources to pull up stakes at home and move.
    This is NOT meant to be an assault of anyone here, just one persons humble opinion.

jdocop

post removed due to risk of offending forum members.

2bncr

Tony hit on one of my pet peeves (If I sound like a complaing Gringo it is because I am acting like one. Except I am complaining about the complaining Gringos!)and I agree with John 100%. Sick and tired of North Americans coming down here and not doings as the Ticos do. They are so conditioned to following every little rule that they make a mess. It like when the marines were found guilty in A Few Good Men for not knowing which order to follow. Look around you. See what the Ticos do in the same situations, and then do likewise. If you do not, you are on the progressive side: you want CR to be more like the US. If that is true, please spare us all and go back to the US. Those that come here to try and I say TRY to replicate their lives in the US here, for less money, eventually fail and return home. While they are trying to do so, they screw it up for us, because they behave according to their social norms. Figure out what is the local custom and stick to it. We North Americans have been socially brainwashed and can’t seem to see that in this case the grass is actually greener here.

2bncr

Tony hit on one of my pet peeves (If I sound like a complaing Gringo it is because I am acting like one. Except I am complaining about the complaining Gringos!)and I agree with John 100%. Sick and tired of North Americans coming down here and not doings as the Ticos do. They are so conditioned to following every little rule that they make a mess. It like when the marines were found guilty in A Few Good Men for not knowing which order to follow. Look around you. See what the Ticos do in the same situations, and then do likewise. If you do not, you are on the progressive side: you want CR to be more like the US. If that is true, please spare us all and go back to the US. Those that come here to try and I say TRY to replicate their lives in the US here, for less money, eventually fail and return home. While they are trying to do so, they screw it up for us, because they behave according to their social norms. Figure out what is the local custom and stick to it. We North Americans have been socially brainwashed and can’t seem to see that in this case the grass is actually greener here.

2bncr

sueandchris

OK, let me get this straight: I have not intention of asking Ticos to change their culture in any way. I will be living in their country but expect always to be a guest, irregardless of the length of my residency.

But you may be surprised to know that one of the reasons that Costa Rica is ranked so high in most “quality of life” studies is precisely because of the equality of Costa Rican women. In countries where women have social equality, birth rates are lower, education in the general population is higher, as is the average income.

Social mores are distinctly different but this small country is progressive in tremendous ways and I expect, as a progressive to be quite comfortable. I always find it amusing that conservatives like to label progressives as pushy and obnoxious. In the current political climate, that opinion is downright hilarious.

2bncr

Sue, I am trying to give a realistic view of my experience nothing more. Come here and see for your self and let me know if indeed your experience is the same – or not. (however, I bet it is).

The gist of this is that you are comparing apples to mangos.

Where have you been getting your info? Obviously not from people who really live here. Costa Rica may be at the forefront of womens equality for latin america – most definantly not worldwide. It’s way behind. Expect to be whistled at if you are walking alone in many places.

Also Costa Rica is very traditional. Although that is changing, in my experience if you hang out anywhere else but Escazu and Santaana, and maybe a couple other places you will encounter resistance to progressive values.

And regarding progessives and changes, do progressives ever realize that all changes are not good changes, or is it just change for change’s sake or change so we can operate by the new rules? That is for their advantage, If it anit broke, don’t fix it. If it is broke I am ready for the fix.

Just a heads up.

sueandchris

Au contraire, 2BNCR, Costa Rica is highly ranked for women’s equality worldwide, not just in Latin America. The standards that comprise this ranking are as follows: The right to own property independently and to inherit same, the right to own and operate business, free access to education, including universities, the right to divorce and retain property. The right to participate freely in the political process, both by voting and running for office.

Change occurs when the majority wish it. Subservience is not the natural or desired state of any sentient being. And, just because it isn’t “broke” for you doesn’t mean it isn’t broke for someone else.

Just a heads up.

2bncr

You seem determined to read-in what you wish to my posts. I can do that to, but I don’t think we want to go there.

I notice your sarcasm. I want to give you the benefit of the doubt, but I think you are trying to get a rise out of me. I’d think twice. Ooh oh – I am going there…

I was trying to be polite and genuine, but that is obviously not working and my patients and good intention are wearing thin from you contentiousness and sense of superiority due to your perceived politically correct high ground. Political correctness doesn’t mean squat here.

Site all the statistics you want, but there is little if any political correctness here – and I love it for that.

I would not expect Costa Rica to kowtow to your expectations. You will be entering a world where if you have a big nose they will refer to you as nariz grande; if you have dark skin they will refer to you as little blackie (negritita); if you are tall: la larga or fat you will be called little fatty (la godita); skinny will be flacita (little skinny). If you are a woman, you will be looked at as a sexual object. If you are rich, you will be calle don or dona and seen as attractive for your money. It will not be “she is only with him for the money” It will be “She is with him for the money and I wish I was her.” There is a lot of truth here. Protection by the law is nil etc etc.

The differences are profound and inexhaustible. Anything left unlocked or attended will be stolen because obviously your have too much if you left it unlocked or unattended (and the police will concur). You will not be shown any courtesy driving; if you talk back to a strange man or make a driving gesture to a man in your local neighborhood, their female counterparts will demonize you.

Regardless of your point (FYI “irregardless” is not a word), you will be treated and viewed as different, and you will be charged more money than Ticos for the same service (gee a lot of political correctness there), and you will have to earn your way into the Tico neighborhood.

Your expectations won’t get you squat here. Your cultural differences and your sense of righteousness about them will be view by the Ticos as naiveté. The moment you try to teach Ticos the right way, or your way, to act, cook, clean or behave, you will learn valuable lessons at the expense of your pocket book and reputation.

This ain’t Kansas anymore Dorothy.

So you better cozy up to that reality, or you are in for a rude awakening. As a matter of fact your preconceived expectations will put you farther behind as you will be fixated on what you are not receiving to the point that you will become unaffected by the good stuff all around you. I have seen that movie play here a 1000 times.

You are setting yourself up for disappointment. When you go running home with your tail between your legs, I guess I won’t need to say I told you so. Oops, I am going in that direction I didn’t want to go in… and by the way revealing this to you is doing you a big favor. I doubt you will appreciate it though as you seem unappreciative of opinion given from practical experience that does not fit your preconceived idea of paradise you think of as Costa Rica.

Well I guess that about covers it. Nevertheless, before I sign off can you please share your Costa Rica societal experiences – from your practical experience of course.

sueandchris

2BNCR: Nice rant, but here is the deal. Not a SINGLE thing you have cited here (and by the way, you might want to hit your “spell check” before remarking on someone else’s use of wording) is news to me about Costa Rica. This will hardly be my first exposure to heavy cultural differences that have led others to “run home with their tails between their legs”. This wasn’t a discussion about the many, many cultural differences between Costa Rica and other countries – including the United States. This was a discussion about established laws that have provided Costa Rican women with an high degree of gender equality.

More and more Costa Rican women are graduating from universities and entering the professions. No social force in the world changes societies more quickly than this very phenomenon. And while I like Costa Rica just fine the way it is, it will look very, very different more quickly than imaginable because of this social change.

I like Costa Rica BECAUSE of its striking cultural differences. But thanks for your “reality” advice. You may know Dorothy, but you don’t know me. What? Did you figure I would “surrender the field” because you got tough?

crayzrj

fact check! irregardless is, in fact a word. britannica dictionary: adjective, regardless: incorrect or humorous usage. now y’all can move on to the big stuff.

jdocop

post removed so as to avoid any risk of offending forum members.

sueandchris

jdcop: Glad to clarify. The person in the picture is the “Sue” half of the couple “Sue and Chris” and I am the only part of our “couple” which is a member of this forum.

You are correct that this thread was originally about education. I have been responding to an earlier response by 2BNCR. Of course, his mention of gender equality is certainly a part of education in Costa Rica. I have noted with interest the the many Costa Rican women that I have met with various university degrees. As stated, I think this speaks volumes about the direction that Costa Rica may be headed.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.