Education in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Education in Costa Rica

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    anneliseped

I find that many people are super critical of the education of the Costa Rican children. In my experience that is an unfair criticism. In my 10 years of experience volunteering in several different village schools, I have found the elementary system to be excellent. Sure there is a lack of THINGS but that is not the most important aspect of elementary education.
    The classes are small and inclusive, the ambience is friendly and warm. Children are helpful to each other and not competitive, which makes the classroom less frightening for those having trouble with the academics.
    That same inclusive, non-competitive attitude is extended to the playground as well and teachers on ‘yard-duty’ can be friends and teachers -not wrestling referees, or police officers.
    If anyone remembers the 2 room country schools in North America they would recall many of the positives that I have found here. Perhaps it is a rural/urban difference, but I doubt that that is all.
    Perhaps if you send me some examples of poor practices, I could understand better.
    AnneLise

2bncr

My child attended a local school for two weeks during her regular school vacation time. Basically all her neighborhood friend were in school so she attended to be with them and see what it was like.

Two pages of homework for the week. When I went to visit, it was obvious that socialization was more important than academics; the place was a zoo until the kids noticed a gringo parent was watching. The classroom was out of control and the teacher obviously overwhelmed. Now this is not a judgment about school values, but the school day started at 7:30 am and was over at 12:30.

The kids and teachers were adorable, but I found the local school unacceptable for achieving our academic goals.

jdocop

post removed due to risk of offending forum members.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

There’s nothing at all wrong with that, John. One might argue convincingly that what you describe is the primary education equivalent of a liberal arts education at the college level.

2bncr

Of course there is nothing wrong with that. I did not mean to imply there was. It is simply a preference. My daughter goes to a wonderful private school with a fantastic liberal arts agenda.

Costa Rica has many social virtues. Emphasizing social qualities makes charming people. If you are raising a child that needs to function internationally, that is in the US and Costa Rica, than I am in favor or higher scholastic achievment.

Its a preference. You like red, I like white. I guess you can look at it as I would like my child to have the performance capability of a crossover sports utility vehicle, rather than a tractor. In the country a tractor functions better, in the city you would want something a bit more sporty that can do country too. I would like her to have the ability to function in either setting and then leave it up to her as to where she chooses to live, US, Costa Rica, Canada, France etc.

Last point: Costa Rica seems to be losing a lot of its agricultural roots and the school I witnessed was difinantly of a rual quality. So like John Lennon said, “either you change with the music or the music changes without you.” The question is, “how fast is the music changing?”

Changes here are faaster than they were, but the changes in the US and Japan are at breakneck speeds… We are raising hes here so she retaina her Latina roots and sees a world outside the US. With a bilingual global view she will be better suited to choose her path.

There is nothing wrong with families that have had many generation work the land. The Amish come to mind. We are not of that. Our lives are internetional therefore we try to prepare our child for the lives we currently live. If she chooses otherwise that is her chioce, but at least she will be able to function well in her choice, what ever that may be.

2bncr

I do not find my goals ridiculous or elusive. As a matter of fact I find them achievable and resonable. Would you like it if I thought your preferences were quaint and outdated? I can do quaint, but outdated I don’t do. Maybe we could share our opinions without making personal judgements of others: inadvertently or otherwise. And remeber when you say “the only goal” – you are refering to your goal. So please do not try to imply your goals are universal. You may come to find out that the overwhelming majority of people have differnt goals than you do.

grb1063

Unfortunately, if you desire anything close to “scholastic achievement” in the US your [u]only[/u] choice is private school. The US public school system is dysfunctional and apathetic, especially after the 4th grade. I personally blame much of this on lack of a “real” college major requirement for teachers (education is a sorry excuse for a major and the easist), unionization and federal interference form the absolutely worthless Dept. of Education. The US spends more per student than any other nation with sub-par results = bottom third for 8th & 12th grade. When it comes to public education you do not get what you pay for (property taxes).

2bncr

Aint that the truth.

jdocop

2bncr

“Pardon me for thinking (something I learned to do in public school). I’m so sorry I offended you (inadvertently, or otherwise), but what, exactly is your academic goal? You seemed to be critical of what you observed over a short two week time period, and pardon me again for accepting you at your word, but it struck me that you formed an opinion on an entire educational system based on that short two week period of time.”

Pardon you for accepting my word? Whatever that means, it appears as if you want to be contentious and have a struggle for rightness. I have not the time.

Where did I say entire educational system?

I said one local school.

I reflected my experience accurately and nothing more or less. I guess you just “were struck” incorrectly.

I explained my goals clearly: Preparing my child for an international experience. I don’t think further elaboration is helpful or needed. If you need to draw your personal implication on my post to banter your perceived superior opinion than that’s your choice. It does not strengthen your point though.

I condemned nothing. The school simply did not fit with my personal goals for my child’s education. And I could care less about UNESCO. They nor anybody else speaks for me.

If I felt you were being sincere in your questioning regarding specific educational goals, I would answer, but it’s obvious you have a bone to pick. Not on my time though.

Just because people disagree, they do not have to be disagreeable. I learned that in private school.

We were all born with the ability to think; however critical thinking is a learned skill. Sorry sometimes you have to lower the bar to reach a common denominator.

jdocop

2bncr

No harm no foul John. Anybody who is an RN has my sincere admiration. RNs are real life angels. Not that it makes a difference, “our” was a reference to her mother’s and my goals.

costaricafinca
    Participant

My observations of the school system here is similar to what Analise reported. And to me these are very important traits. Rudeness is not allowed, neither is disrespect for their teacher, which I am afraid to say is not always prevelant in North American schools. There, many parents say, my child is/has [i]’this or that'[/i] condition…and thinks this makes the behavior, acceptable.
    Personally, I am thrilled that more teenagers and parents in Costa Rica attend night schools, which to me, means they really want to learn and are not going, because they have too, after picking coffee during the day or working in other agricultural areas.
    In Canada now, more schools have returned/added the classes that [b]jdocop[/b] mentions. Not every kids wants to be a computer tech or software writer.
    I was ridiculed, once again, when I mentioned once on a forum, that I felt it was more important that a 4-5 year old could [i]write their name with a pencil[/i] than to punch the keys of a keypad. I had a pre-school & daycare for many years and did add a computer with teaching software for children in Canada, for children I knew would not have access to one in their own homes, to be able to [i]’hold their own'[/i] when entering the public school system.
    Computers are very important, and are invaluable to students, but not every student will want to continue their ‘education’ at universities, but will chose trade schools, and continue to perform services that computers cannot replace.

2bncr

You don’t go to a school that teaches science if you want to be a farmer. You don’t go to school that teaches farming to be a scientist.

So I really don’t get the point here (if there is any).

Costa Rica schools do a good job of teaching social skills. Not all Costa Rica schools are the same. Some are strict (I assume) and some are not. One thing I can tell from my observations is that Ticos are very social and charming. Where they learn this charm and style is from a combination of variables and I am sure one of the variables in the equation is school since so much time is spent there.

I would love to see Costa Rican return to agriculture. Doubt if it will happen though, especially under the progressive leadership that champions free trade female equality etc etc.

So go to a local school if you want your kids to have traditional values and goals (agricultural). Most Tico parents I know would love to send their kids to private school. My kid goes to a private school that is 67% Tico and teaches in English.

So why is it 67% Tico? Changing values is why; Tradition is fading in Costa Rica. Catch it while you can, US values and ways are pouring through the crack in the green wall. Too bad…

costaricafinca
    Participant

As mentioned, social skills are very important, and I admire what I have seen in the schools I have observed, [i]but[/i][b][/b] if I had school age children whilst living here, I would choose a private school.
    Of course [i]’my child'[/i] would already have English language skills and hopefully they would have learned enough Spanish to mix with their peers, both in their neighborhood and at school.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.