Earthquake in Costa Rica – 5th September 2012

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Earthquake in Costa Rica – 5th September 2012

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    camby

[quote=”*Lotus”]Glad to hear you are okay Scott, looks like your home held up well structurally.[/quote]
    might add, glad all here are seemingly safe and well……told wife that CR has stricter building requirements then other latin nations-or many USAV builders to boot…

costaricabill
    Participant

The different experts and seismic agencies disagree a bit on exactly where the epicenter was, but most agree it was somewhere within 10 km or so of Samara.

Other than the shelf items on stores here in Samara there was very little damage and I have heard of no injuries or deaths here. Unfortunately there were reportedly 2 deaths in Nicoya, but 1 was not directly attributed to the tremblor.

Most of our Samara stores, restaurants and bars have reopened this morning. BNCR is still closed today as their suspended ceiling is no longer suspended, and PALI is closed as they are still cleaning up and restocking the shelves. Our genset performed as designed, so we were without power for less than a minute.

ICE turned off the power for 7 hours or so as a precaution, but their crews were out actively checking the lines and all power was restored before 5pm. Internet never went down, but cable TV was out until after 10pm.

I am now a very strong believer in the California Seismic code. Our house was rolling and pitching the entire time and I have yet to find even a hairline crack. Only one item fell off any of the shelves, and that was a wooden bowl that hit the glass coffee carafe on the way down, so no coffee this morning yet.

All items on pantry shelves remained in place, and no cracks on stone or wood floors.

All of our neighbors that I have talked to report the same scale of damage – minimal, however those with concrete tile roofs do report they lost several tiles. We have a standing seam metal roof and had no damage at all to roof or structure.

For such an impressive display by Mother Nature we are indeed fortunate, and thankful!

gomiqueen2

Although I have lived in many parts of the world and have experienced various disasters as a Disaster Cadre Team Member prior to FEMA being established way back when – I can’t say that I like being around (or in) hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis, tornados or storms at sea – but; my plan A was to move to Costa Rica, leaving here in PA in Nov and my plan B was to move to HI where I had previously lived. I was coming with my darling little Mimi girl (my beloved cat) but she passed last week – shook me up and I miss her terribly – but – Plan A is still on track and I hope all will be well with the world of CR when I arrive to live in my “spot of paradise” (long sentence I know – breatheeeeeeee now). p.s. Hope I find a permanent rentals that is built as well! Can’t live in fear all your life and can’t live under a rock – get out and feel something – anything!

camby

[quote=”gomiqueen2″]Although I have lived in many parts of the world and have experienced various disasters as a Disaster Cadre Team Member prior to FEMA being established way back when – I can’t say that I like being around (or in) hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis, tornados or storms at sea – but; my plan A was to move to Costa Rica, leaving here in PA in Nov and my plan B was to move to HI where I had previously lived. I was coming with my darling little Mimi girl (my beloved cat) but she passed last week – shook me up and I miss her terribly – but – Plan A is still on track and I hope all will be well with the world of CR when I arrive to live in my “spot of paradise” (long sentence I know – breatheeeeeeee now). p.s. Hope I find a permanent rentals that is built as well! Can’t live in fear all your life and can’t live under a rock – get out and feel something – anything![/quote]

well put!! my thoughts too!!
    sorry about your cat…:cry:

Doug Ward

[img][/img][quote=”camby”][quote=”*Lotus”]Glad to hear you are okay Scott, looks like your home held up well structurally.[/quote]
    might add, glad all here are seemingly safe and well……told wife that CR has stricter building requirements then other latin nations-or many USAV builders to boot…[/quote]
    The houses are ten times tougher than the garbage in the USA (except Fl and Kalifornastan).
    Ticos look at the trailers and press board 4000 sf show shacks after a tornado or hurricane and just shake their heads.

videolady

CostaRicaBill, Thanks so much for the update, very happy to hear all is well.

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”Videolady”]CostaRicaBill, Thanks so much for the update, very happy to hear all is well.[/quote]

Thanks ofr your note and kindness!
    Tomorrow is our Monthly FIRST FRIDAY get together, so if I hear anything different I’ll let you know! We are expecting 40-50 expats, so I am sure we will have plenty of stories. If you have a question or concern about a particular property or a particular expat, PM me and I’ll do my best to find out!

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.