Earthquake in Costa Rica – 5th September 2012

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Earthquake in Costa Rica – 5th September 2012

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    videolady

Hi, We’re very worried about our Marbella Community, friends and family. Could use your help with any information.

We are in the States and have a house in Marbella. Unable to reach anyone down there so any info will be appreciated. Thanks!

costaricafinca
    Participant

Check http://www.insidecostarica.com for updated info

Andrew
    Keymaster

For a real life example of [b]bloody stupid[/b] people?

“The resident also says there are crowds of 60 to 80 people gathered on the beach “looking for a tsunami.”

‘If’ the do see one, it will probably be the last wave they’ll ever see….

Scott

Andrew
    Keymaster

7.9 earthquake in Costa Rica and the disadvantages of living on the tenth floor…

After being thrown on the floor, I don’t know how my stereo, fairly large speakers and the flat screen are still working but they are …

After falling on the floor I don’t quite understand how my iMac still works but it does, gracias a Dios.

The shaking caused all the toilet cisterns to empty their contents on the floor….

All drawers flew open, all books are now on the floor and the worst possible news…..

As you can see below, bottle of Lagavulin (and Johnnie Walker) are unfortunately not earthquake-proof!

And, most of the bottles and jars that were on shelves in the pantry are now on the floor.

Hope you are all well ….

gomiqueen2

OMG Scott – been there done that (sort of in Japan) really shakes your core – glad only your “stuff” was damaged. Guess your building was “earthquake proof”. I’m due to move there to CR on Nov 16th hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

videolady

I’m from California and have been through a few bad shakes so am hoping the damage is minor. Thanks for the pictures and the link. I am glued to CNN and internet but still no word from friends and family. Glad to hear you made it through without too much damage, sorry to hear about Johnnie W!

costaricafinca
    Participant

Our thoughts and wishes are for those on the coast.

rturner

[quote=”costaricafinca”]Our thoughts and wishes are for those on the coast.[/quote]

Very nice of you! Flamingo was rockin

gomiqueen2

Scott, couldn’t help but comment how neat and tidy you are even with the quake, all your drawers and shelves were orderly – bravo :):roll:

davidd

glad no
    one was hurt

for me I have good news and bad news 🙁

the good news first

I just was in the process of making love to my wife ( true) and this experience for some reason had gotten her to fall in love with me all over again. don’t know what was it but the shaking and moving it all came together to be incredible.

my question.. especially for scott

how the heck to I replicate this experience

bad news

my louie the 13th bottle $2000 crashed and i lost some really fine liquor

VictoriaLST

Not much to say, except that up in Aguacate (near Nuevo Arenal) nothing much happened, no pix off the wall, although my neighbor had a can of beer explode and her shelf fell. I would be scared to death to live on the 10th floor in an earthquake zone.

camby

Was about to book my room/flight for first visit to CR, wife was finally on board and now? She aint even interested and does not want me to go either w/o her…..was going to look into some investement property and hoep, someday perhaps, to come back more permanant

Andrew
    Keymaster

Sorry to hear that ‘Camby’ but sounds like she was just waiting for any old excuse to say ‘No!’

I wrote to someone yesterday saying:

In the year 2004, just in the one state of Florida, hurricanes caused US$20.1 billion worth of damage and killed about 117.

Obviously this pales in comparison with the damage caused by hurricane Katrina which according to the estimates cost way more than $100 billion.

I’m guessing here but would suggest that more people probably die in Florida from “natural disasters” every year than have died in Costa Rica in the last decade…

.. and your wife would never go to Florida either, right?

*Lotus

Glad to hear you are okay Scott, looks like your home held up well structurally.

camby

[quote=”camby”]Was about to book my room/flight for first visit to CR, wife was finally on board and now? She aint even interested and does not want me to go either w/o her…..was going to look into some investement property and hoep, someday perhaps, to come back more permanant[/quote]

actually, she loves Florida……so good points…saysm she was rather stand-offish on going to CR…..somewhat due to health concerns, being that far from ehr regular cardio-team and all, true, but also, was a bit stand-offish in going somewhere outside the USA in general, though we went and had good time last year in Malta/Sicily……
    Tried to get my mother to go, as my dad was gung-ho to buy and settle in Liberia area at one point, now, does not want to go to CR at all for reasons unknown…..suggested mother come with us, might suggest, mother and I go…….she is more easygoing during trips then in person and less neoconny.:lol:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.