Dogs Barking

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Dogs Barking

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    colleen.1

I have never before ever had any bad thoughts about a dog but as our lives have now been seriously affected by some Tico dogs across the valley from us I am being forced to really and truly consider “getting rid” of the barkers.

They bark non stop for an average of 7 to 8 hours every night. We can no longer have any windows or doors open and it still sounds as though they are on our front lawn.

No I do not want to wear ear plugs for security reasons.

The owner of the farm has refused to do anything about the renters ( farm workers) and we have now asked the Ticos, once verbally and once in writing, to please curtail their dogs noise.

No joy. So after 3 years of absolute peace we are now desperate for sleep. Will the Police help??? and don’t mention the Health Department and noise pollution regulations as am more than positive their level of noise pollution and ours would never meet.

Any really good suggestions, anyone know of a dog hunter out there. Yes its that bad.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Make this be the dog owners’ problem or the problem of the owner of the farm.

If the dogs continue to bark through the night, call them. If that doesn’t help, call back. And if that doesn’t help, call again. Once the owners’ sleep is as disturbed as yours, they’ll take some action.

My father taught me early in life that misery loves company.

costaricafinca
    Participant

If you are renting, [i]you could move[/i].
    If not, I don’t expect anyone will offer you advice on how to get rid of the problem.
    I do remember reading that there are[url=http://www.gooddeals.com/category/15/Bark+Control.aspx]’bark control devices’.[/url]

Andrew
    Keymaster

Having experienced this first hand (with a French neighbour), I most definitely sympathize with you …

Even if you’ve done your homework and proven that the area is quite peaceful before you buy, as you have discovered, you just need one ignorant S.O.B of a new neighbor moving in nearby and your quality of life no longer has quality…

As we have seen from the news, sleep deprivation and dogs are very effective torture techniques…

I would of course never recommend you do this this but after you have experienced it, you understand why dogs get poisoned.

For those of new to this little [i]complicación[/i] – which thankfully we do not hear about too much – you can see some information about this at:

1. Costa Rica Living – [url=https://www.welovecostarica.com/public/465.cfm]Top ten things we do NOT like about living in Costa Rica[/url].

“Dogs Barking: Although many dogs are the much loved family pet, a big percentage of dogs are the home security system and as such, may be left on a short chain to bark away the day and night in conditions that some of us animal lovers do not like… This alone can be enough to force someone to move.”

2. “[url=https://www.welovecostarica.com/public/1337.cfm]We must remember that most Ticos have an extraordinary tolerance for noise[/url]. What we mean by that is that while dogs barking all night long may drive you completely round the bend (as is the case with the home we are chatting about), your neighbor will wake up in the morning all bright eyed and bushy tailed and think that you are stark raving bonkers when you – with the bags under your eyes – try to complain (in Spanish) that his seven barking dogs only allowed you to sleep for 90 minutes.”

3. “When evaluating places to live, [url=https://www.welovecostarica.com/public/487.cfm]remember that most Ticos have a higher tolerance for noise than you probably have[/url]. Check the area for barking dogs at different times at night as well as during the day. You may not want to visit at 3am but it’s preferable to buying a home and finding out on your first night that your neighbor has a sawmill in his back garden that he only uses when he gets home after day job.”

Please let us know how you get on …

Scott

costaricafinca
    Participant

Another source of noise that someone relocating to Costa Rica may think could be ‘cute’ is the ongoing howls of Howler monkeys.
    When they bellow at midnight, 1 am, 1.15am,1.30 am and on and on, until time to get up, believe me, it’s not so cute!:roll:

VictoriaLST

Well, we have two dogs and, yes, they do bark on occasion. But then, the howler monkeys and the local rooster also wake me up. Solution? Really nice earplugs which I use all the time. My dogs will still wake me on occasion, but only when they mean business.

Andrew
    Keymaster

When I lived in New York City on the floor right above ground level (gringos call it the second floor and Brits would call it the first floor or is the other way around?) on 72nd street between Central Park West and Columbus Avenue, the traffic noise 24 hours a day was horrendous… And yes! Those little silicone ear plugs were my saviour!

waggoner41

[quote=”colleen.1″] They bark non stop for an average of 7 to 8 hours every night. We can no longer have any windows or doors open and it still sounds as though they are on our front lawn.

No I do not want to wear ear plugs for security reasons. [/quote]

I can understand you situation.
    We have salvaged a number of dogs, starving and in need of vet care, which have come to us over the years. The first arrived within two weeks of our moving to our home. Until recently we lived without fences or bars and the dogs provided our security. We have installed a fence to keep the dogs from bothering pedestrians on the street but they are still our alarm system at night. They do NOT bark all night, however, only when strangers are around.

[quote=”colleen.1″]The owner of the farm has refused to do anything about the renters (farm workers) and we have now asked the Ticos, once verbally and once in writing, to please curtail their dogs noise.
    Will the Police help??? and don’t mention the Health Department and noise pollution regulations as am more than positive their level of noise pollution and ours would never meet. [/quote]

There is little likelihood that the owner or the renters will do anything on their own but I have found that the local police here in Ciudad Colon will talk to anyone whose animals pose a problem. We know a few of them and have found them to be more interested in keeping the peace than anything else.

[quote=”colleen.1″]Any really good suggestions, anyone know of a dog hunter out there. Yes its that bad.[/quote]

Any action in this respect is liable to get you a date in front of the juzgado.

conniejog

[quote=”costaricafinca”]Another source of noise that someone relocating to Costa Rica may think could be ‘cute’ is the ongoing howls of Howler monkeys.
    When they bellow at midnight, 1 am, 1.15am,1.30 am and on and on, until time to get up, believe me, it’s not so cute!:roll:[/quote]

I really think I would welcome the sound of the monkeys and roosters but then I haven’t been put to the test. Hope to some day. How about the screams that some children make when playing, especially when playing in water..I mean the screams that sound just like life/death situations. Here in Iowa I have the screams during daylight hours, the dogs for a while at night, and semi truck noise on valley road all 24 hours!!

colleen.1

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]Make this be the dog owners’ problem or the problem of the owner of the farm.

If the dogs continue to bark through the night, call them. If that doesn’t help, call back. And if that doesn’t help, call again. Once the owners’ sleep is as disturbed as yours, they’ll take some action.

My father taught me early in life that misery loves company.
    [/quote]
    Thanks for the advise but for love nor money can we get the owners name of telephone number. We stopped his car one morning whilst he was on his way for his morning inspection of the farm. Not the nicest of fellows though.

colleen.1

[quote=”Scott”]When I lived in New York City on the floor right above ground level (gringos call it the second floor and Brits would call it the first floor or is the other way around?) on 72nd street between Central Park West and Columbus Avenue, the traffic noise 24 hours a day was horrendous… And yes! Those little silicone ear plugs were my saviour![/quote]
    Because of security reasons we cannot use ear plugs. They do make a difference and having lived 100 meters from the Garden State Parkway in New Jersey for 5 years noise is not a new comer to my life but theses dogs go beyond belief. We checked on every level before we built our home in the Central Valley. All was wonderful for the 3 years and now. Somethings we have no control over such as future building or future renters in tiny obscure unused farm house.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Children’s screams and howler monkeys have something in common.
    According to [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howler_monkey]Wikipedia[/url] [i]”Howler monkeys are widely considered to be the loudest land animal. According to Guinness Book of World Records, their vocalizations can be heard clearly for 20 mi (32 km)”. [/i][b][/b]
    We have a troop that stays around the bottom of our property and you would think they were on the back steps. During the day I enjoy hearing and watching them,

camby

[quote=”costaricafinca”]Children’s screams and howler monkeys have something in common.
    According to [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howler_monkey]Wikipedia[/url] [i]”Howler monkeys are widely considered to be the loudest land animal. According to Guinness Book of World Records, their vocalizations can be heard clearly for 20 mi (32 km)”. [/i][b][/b]
    We have a troop that stays around the bottom of our property and you would think they were on the back steps. During the day I enjoy hearing and watching them,[/quote]

what is the CR law on monkey’s? protected? Not saying shot them, per se, was not sure what you can do about them…..

costaricafinca
    Participant

You accept them! And, yes, they are protected as they should be.
    If you choose live in an area that offers a corridor for them to travel in, you stand that risk that they could come calling … and their howl does make the dogs barking, inaudible.
    However, if you decide to live in Escazu, you shouldn’t have a problem 😆

sprite

The most humane way to keep dogs from barking at night is to have them sleep in doors with a white noise fan running.
    This is my solution for my two mutts. It works well.
    But I suspect most Ticos would no more let a dog sleep in house than they would a pig or a cow.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.