Could not buy a gun

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Could not buy a gun

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    clayton

The Gun is Civilization
    by Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret)

Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of force. Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that’s it.

In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force.

The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gang banger, and a single guy on equal footing with a carload of drunk guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender.

There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force equations. These are the people who think that we’d be more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier for a [armed] mugger to do his job. That, of course, is only true if the mugger’s potential victims are mostly disarmed either by choice or by legislative fiat–it has no validity when most of a mugger’s potential marks are armed.

People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and that’s the exact opposite of a civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.

Then there’s the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would only result in injury. This argument is fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser.
    People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don’t constitute lethal force watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is level.

The gun is the only weapon that’s as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weight lifter. It simply wouldn’t work as well as a force equalizer if it wasn’t both lethal and easily employable.

When I carry a gun, I don’t do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I’m looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don’t carry it because I’m afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn’t limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation… and that’s why carrying a gun is a civilized act.

By Maj. L. Caudill USM C (Ret)

waggoner41

[quote=”costaricafinca”]Lots of unhappy ‘temporary residents’, Pensionado and Rentistas, out here, right now, since they cannot buy a gun for the protection of their families.
    And their opinion…[i]it sucks![/i][/quote]

When you live in an area where there are many expats I suppose there are problems with armed invaders.

Over the last couple of years I’ve had a couple of instances of ladrones visiting the property. I have found them to be cowardly and unarmed and probably drunks or druggies looking to pay for their next fix.

I’m about 5’7″ and weigh 64k soaking wet but when I exit the house they are gone in a flash. There is a reason for this which works just as well with armed men. We have accumulated four dogs in the 25k to 30k weight range that are on the scene with me.

You may have a gun and you may get into a shootout with the invaders but I will guarantee you that a dog is more intimidating to a Tico than a gun.

Andrew
    Keymaster

In La Nacion 10th July 2010 …

[ http://www.nacion.com/2010-07-10/ElPais/NotaPrincipal/ElPais2434908.aspx ]

The new 16,317 Law being proposed would prohibit the use of firearms by foreigners unless they had been residents in Costa Rica for at least five years

In a related article:

[ http://www.nacion.com/2010-07-10/ElPais/Relacionados/ElPais2434911.aspx ]

While the Vice President Mauritius Boraschi supports a ban on weapons in high risk areas, OIJ (Costa Rica’s FBI) director Jorge Rojas said it would be inappropriate to disarm the population in areas where you need it most.

OIJ director Jorge Rojas also added that: “The best of all scenarios is that there are no guns, the State is obligated to provide security, but if no such security exists, you can not ask citizens not to defend themselves.”

I like this guy!

At present, if you are discovered to be carrying a gun without a legal permit in Costa Rica, you could face six months of community work but, in the new law they are proposing that, the punishment for carrying a gun without a legal permit could be six months to two years in prison.

Legislator Luis Fishman of the Social Christian Unity Party agrees with the new punishment, but also emphasized that the vast majority of crimes are committed with illegal weapons.

For now, this new law is still just an idea on paper only and I will try to update you should there be any new information.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

Andrew
    Keymaster

Please see photo below taken yesterday Tuesday morning in the waiting room of the offices of Armas & Explosivas…

I can’t imagine why things are so inefficient over there…

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

grb1063

The strongest reason for the
    people to retain the right to keep and bear arms
    is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
    against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

rfalves

[quote=”Scott”]One of our VIP Members – a woman – emailed this to me today…

Why I Might Carry a Gun

My old grandpa said to me ‘Son, there comes a time in every man’s life when he stops bustin’ knuckles and starts bustin’ caps and usually it’s when he becomes too old to take an ass whoopin.’

I don’t carry a gun to kill people.
    I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don’t carry a gun to scare people.
    I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don’t carry a gun because I’m paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world..

I don’t carry a gun because I’m evil.
    I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don’t carry a gun because I hate the government.
    I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government..

I don’t carry a gun because I’m angry.
    I carry a gun so that I don’t have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don’t carry a gun because I want to shoot someone.
    I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don’t carry a gun because I’m a cowboy.
    I carry a gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I want to be a cowboy.

I don’t carry a gun to make me feel like a man.
    I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don’t carry a gun because I feel inadequate.
    I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don’t carry a gun because I love it.
    I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

Police protection is an oxymoron.
    Free citizens must protect themselves.
    Police do not protect you from crime, they usually just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.

Personally, I carry a gun because I’m too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin’…..author unknown (but obviously brilliant)

A LITTLE GUN HISTORY

In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
    ——————————

In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
    ——————————

Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.
    ——————————

China established gun control in 1935. >From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated
    ——————————

Guatemala established gun control in 1964. >From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
    —- ————- ————-

Uganda established gun control in 1970. >From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
    ——————————

Cambodia established gun control in 1956. >From 1975 to 1977, one million educated people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
    —————————–

Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million.
    ——————————

You won’t see this data on the US evening news, or hear politicians disseminating this information.

Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws adversely affect only the law-abiding citizens.

Take note my fellow Americans, before it’s too late!

The next time someone talks in favor of gun control, please remind them of this history lesson.

With guns, we are ‘citizens’. Without them, we are ‘subjects’.

During WWII the Japanese decided not to invade America because they knew most Americans were ARMED!

If you value your freedom, please spread this anti gun-control message to all of your friends.

The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain.
    All else is supplemental.

SWITZERLAND ISSUES EVERY HOUSEHOLD A GUN!
    SWITZERLAND’S GOVERNMENT TRAINS EVERY ADULT THEY ISSUE A RIFLE.
    SWITZERLAND HAS THE LOWEST GUN RELATED CRIME RATE OF ANY CIVILIZED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!!

IT’S A NO BRAINER!
    DON’T LET OUR GOVERNMENT WASTE MILLIONS OF OUR TAX DOLLARS IN AN EFFORT TO MAKE ALL LAW ABIDING CITIZENS AN EASY TARGET.[/quote]
    I totally agree with all of these facts. And One other fact that I would like to point out, If you look at the crime rate in a state like Vermont where almost everybody owns and carries a gun they have the lowest crime rate in the USA. And other states like Oklahoma where if you do not own a gun you pay $500 to the state each year to help pay for the police protection. Yes they also have a very very low crime rate. {Yes owning and carying a firearm requires training and like Scott says that most Tico police do not get the training. I yes I carried guns most of my life and yes I had to shoot and kill another man when he tried to shoot me. So Why do states like Vermont have a low crime rate. Because, most criminals may be stupid but they know that when most people are armed they go other places to commit thier crimes. -when I finally get my Permant Resisdent I will get a permit to carry and Will have no problem letting people know that I do carry. Ron USCG Ret

kimball

Can you as a non resident, legally have a gun in your home ?

rfalves

[quote=”kimball”]Can you as a non resident, legally have a gun in your home ?[/quote]
    Hi, Under the new law, or, proposed new law NO. I waited too long to file for my permit, before the new change. Now NO ONE that is not a citizen or Perment Resident can not own or legally buy a gun. Even if you have a corp unless there is a Tico in the corp you are not allowed to own a gun. If you find a Tico to help you get a gun and you are caught with the gun then you are the one in deep trouble. Ron USCG Ret

kimball

Then how are you supposed to protect your family while in your home ?

I guess you have to use your imagination, like when i was an demolition and explosive tech in the military.

rfalves

[quote=”kimball”]Then how are you supposed to protect your family while in your home ?

I guess you have to use your imagination, like when i was an demolition and explosive tech in the military.[/quote]
    Hi Good question, I have been trying to look into a Taser, but have not found one, thinking about a pistol cross bow. maybe a baseball bat. I know some influenancal Ticos are working on reversing these new laws. The local gun shops and ranges are losing bussiness. So just wait and hope for a reversal. Ron USCG Ret

grb1063

Again, CR is trying to pass a new blanket law to attempt to disallow foreigners to have guns based on a handful of events involving illegal Jamaicans that occurred last year and the various drug cartels. By doing so, they take away a law abiding citizens ability to lawfully own a firearm, but those that are criminals and here illegally will continue to possess illegal firearms. Take away the guns from the law abiding citzenry and only the government and criminals will have guns. The government can’t keep up with the criminals as it is.

F.A Skippy

[quote=”grb1063″]Again, CR is trying to pass a new blanket law to attempt to disallow foreigners to have guns based on a handful of events involving illegal Jamaicans that occurred last year and the various drug cartels. By doing so, they take away a law abiding citizens ability to lawfully own a firearm, but those that are criminals and here illegally will continue to possess illegal firearms. Take away the guns from the law abiding citzenry and only the government and criminals will have guns. The government can’t keep up with the criminals as it is.[/quote]
    That’ll never happen.I only hang out with Ticos and all of my buddies are well armed business type people.I don’t have any Tico friends that [b]don’t[/b] have [i]something[/i] in their house and many have concealed carry permits.
    Naturally I avoid gringo beaches and the central valley like the plague so it’s pretty peaceful up here.

scottsmail

I’m new to this site. I still live in the US but am eagerly looking forward to moving to Costa Rica.

I read all of this particular forum and have a few questions.

I believe based on the writing style and gun position that most, if not all, of the posters are US citizens. If I’m incorrect no big deal because it won’t alter my purpose here.

1. Even if some of you have permanent resident status or even acquired CR citizenship, you came to CR for a reason(s). Why impose our attitude and way of life on CR?

2. It was stated at the beginning that one could acquire a firearm as a permanent resident but the conversation quickly moved to a gun control tit-for-tat which is sadly typical on forums and blogs. Has anyone who has posted here NOT gone 5 years without an incident requiring the use of a firearm at their former abode? 10 years?

3. Has anyone who has posted here been in an incident here that a firearm was required?

The previous two question were to address history since history was used to show what gun banishment can lead to. I am not questioning the facts presented but those are, as tragic as they may be, only half the story. That is unless there was total annihilation of the populations of those countries. If not, that would indicate an amount of population remaining. How does this relate? In my twisted mind I know that crimes are being committed continually, but at 55 I have never been robbed, beaten, et cetera. I think this is true of the majority of people, at least here in the US. Besides those are all politically motivated exterminations and not street or general crime. Apples and oranges. Although dead is dead no matter its cause.

4. Can you not wait that long (minimum 5 year continuous stay)?

5. Now, as I understand it, even if you become a CR citizen; as a foreigner you will still not have the right to vote in a move to have this law (or any other) changed. Without a formally recognized voice in political matters, do we promote overthrow of the current government (violent or otherwise) to resolve this matter?

These are real and serious questions (with the possible exception of 5) that I feel should be respected and answered honestly.

My point (finally, thank GOD) is that you came here for many varied reasons, the least of which had to do with firearms, if it was even considered by anyone of you. If it was a concern before you moved to CR, then you came here with the understanding that is how the game is played. What’s your beef?

I’m not going to waffle over whether I am pro- or anti-gun as that is not the issue this forum is attempting to address (at least at its onset) in my opinion.

My purpose in hopefully moving to Costa Rica is to establish a new life. Close the last chapter of the current book and start a new one. I want to immerse myself in the culture and people of CR. Your goal here may be different.

Lastly, I believe that if this (firearm wait period) is a very strong issue for you, perhaps you ought to consider returning to your country of origin and leave the native ticos to address issues as they feel is proper.

Scott Smail

ps If the US goes the way of Switzerland; better hope you can beat me to the front of the line buying stock in firearm companies.

moonbanks

[quote=”scottsmail”]I’m new to this site. I still live in the US but am eagerly looking forward to moving to Costa Rica.

I read all of this particular forum and have a few questions.

I believe based on the writing style and gun position that most, if not all, of the posters are US citizens. If I’m incorrect no big deal because it won’t alter my purpose here.

1. Even if some of you have permanent resident status or even acquired CR citizenship, you came to CR for a reason(s). Why impose our attitude and way of life on CR?

2. It was stated at the beginning that one could acquire a firearm as a permanent resident but the conversation quickly moved to a gun control tit-for-tat which is sadly typical on forums and blogs. Has anyone who has posted here NOT gone 5 years without an incident requiring the use of a firearm at their former abode? 10 years?

3. Has anyone who has posted here been in an incident here that a firearm was required?

The previous two question were to address history since history was used to show what gun banishment can lead to. I am not questioning the facts presented but those are, as tragic as they may be, only half the story. That is unless there was total annihilation of the populations of those countries. If not, that would indicate an amount of population remaining. How does this relate? In my twisted mind I know that crimes are being committed continually, but at 55 I have never been robbed, beaten, et cetera. I think this is true of the majority of people, at least here in the US. Besides those are all politically motivated exterminations and not street or general crime. Apples and oranges. Although dead is dead no matter its cause.

4. Can you not wait that long (minimum 5 year continuous stay)?

5. Now, as I understand it, even if you become a CR citizen; as a foreigner you will still not have the right to vote in a move to have this law (or any other) changed. Without a formally recognized voice in political matters, do we promote overthrow of the current government (violent or otherwise) to resolve this matter?

These are real and serious questions (with the possible exception of 5) that I feel should be respected and answered honestly.

My point (finally, thank GOD) is that you came here for many varied reasons, the least of which had to do with firearms, if it was even considered by anyone of you. If it was a concern before you moved to CR, then you came here with the understanding that is how the game is played. What’s your beef?

I’m not going to waffle over whether I am pro- or anti-gun as that is not the issue this forum is attempting to address (at least at its onset) in my opinion.

My purpose in hopefully moving to Costa Rica is to establish a new life. Close the last chapter of the current book and start a new one. I want to immerse myself in the culture and people of CR. Your goal here may be different.

Lastly, I believe that if this (firearm wait period) is a very strong issue for you, perhaps you ought to consider returning to your country of origin and leave the native ticos to address issues as they feel is proper.

Scott Smail
    srsmail1@verizon.net

ps If the US goes the way of Switzerland; better hope you can beat me to the front of the line buying stock in firearm companies.[/quote]
    I only want to impose my way of thinking to the people who come over my fence and try to harm my family..this hasnt happened yet and I have been here for almost 2 years and have been coming for 7 years without incident…but I rather be able to handle the situation if it arises..I have heard of problems from others on this forum..and yes by the way since u dont live here maybe you should hold your opinion until u do…It might change…dont you think???

wspeed1195

[quote=”moonbanks”]I only want to impose my way of thinking to the people who come over my fence and try to harm my family..this hasnt happened yet and I have been here for almost 2 years and have been coming for 7 years without incident…but I rather be able to handle the situation if it arises..I have heard of problems from others on this forum..and yes by the way since u dont live here maybe you should hold your opinion until u do…It might change…dont you think???[/quote]I see the logic,as you do and some don’t.
    partly for anyone,the problem lies in the response of law enforcement.
    yep,theirs places they will never get to with rapid response.because of their location.
    then theirs places they COULD get to and don’t.
    folks feel the need to defend themselves,when those in place to do so fail,epicly.
    it’s A reality,they are slow,limited and lack concern for even their own kind.
    it’s like a tico told me,when they get that small bit of police notoriety,they don’t think much of those beneath them.
    they have A strong sense of race drive.the Fresas hate the polos,who hate the caballeros,who hate the come’ juevos.
    and many of them have come to,or always have/will hate the gringo juevon’ijo de,you fill in the rest.
    which is no big deal,some of us have dealt with eacism directed at us and theirs no issue.those who haven’t dealt with it incoming do have issues,it’s unfamiliar territory.
    weapons are part of human nature.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.