Could not buy a gun

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Could not buy a gun

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    moonbanks

went to gun shop in multiplaza and tried to buy a gun..was denied stating I had to be a permanent resident not a temporary and couldnt buy with a corporation (which I have )unless I was a permanent resident…bottom line was told the new law states only a citizen or permanent resident can legally own a firearm for protection at their home…Any opionions?????

costaricafinca
    Participant

Lots of unhappy ‘temporary residents’, Pensionado and Rentistas, out here, right now, since they cannot buy a gun for the protection of their families.
    And their opinion…[i]it sucks![/i]

maravilla

my neighborhood in colorado is armed to the teeth. there are enough weapons to wage a full blown war. it was a relief for me to come here and not be surrounded by a bunch of armed gringos, so i for one, am happy about the fact that not everyone can buy a weapon, and the stats pretty much support the notion that often those guns are used in other ways than to protect your family, i.e., the unlicensed gun that was used in the commission of a suicide last summer. i moved to costa rica bcause there is no army, so i don’t really want an armed militia of paranoid gringos.

2bncr

All I can say is that anybody that does not know how to use a gun, should not own one. Many times they are taken from the owner and used on them. Also if you are not willing to shoot someone you should not own a gun. I am more than willing BTW. No one hurts my family on my watch. That’s a hill I would choose to die on….

gzeniou

Even though you can’t import or buy a gun, I hear you can import a Nuclear Thermal Device……..of course there’s that little import tax of 10,000 rads 😆

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”maravilla”]” i moved to costa rica bcause there is no army, so i don’t really want an armed militia of paranoid gringos.”

Not sure I get it…. Great people, wonderful climates, outstanding foods, beautiful beaches and mountains, lower costs of living, less stress, more relaxation, and on and on…… And you “moved to Costa Rica because there is no army”?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Yup, it was a major attraction for me, too.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Army or not, one should be able to protect ones family, [i]if they so choose and they abide by the rules of owning a weapon[/i].
    If classes and a license are required, so be it.
    We got ours, legally, before they changed the laws.
    We do not want to have to use them, but will ‘make a lot of noise with them’ periodically for them to be heard around the neighborhood. And hopefully, keep [i]uninvited guests[/i] away.
    If [i]one could rely on a response by local police[/i][b][/b], sooner rather than later, this would not be such a concern.

maravilla

[And you “moved to Costa Rica because there is no army”?[/quote]

yes, that was a major consideration! i do not support the illegal war we started in Iraq, and i wanted nothing more to do with the murdering of innocent men, women, and children. the VN war was also a great big fat farce, and i wanted no part of what the US does in these other countries. So no Army??? Great big selling point!!!

DavidCMurray
    Participant

To what maravilla has said, I wish to add that a country with little or no military establishment necessarily spends less or nothing on warfare. (Duh!) That leaves more resources to meet human needs. And it puts such a country in the position of having to resolve its differences with other countries through other means than war.

For many years, Costa Rica and Nicaragua have differed over the use of (I forget the name) the boundary river. Rather than waging armed conflict over the matter, they’ve recently agreed to take it to the World Court. Likely few or no casualties will result as the matter is resolved.

Andrew
    Keymaster

The gun laws have changed in Costa Rica, they are stricter but compared to my place of birth – the UK – it’s still fairly simple to own a gun here ‘if’ you are permanent resident and a respectable, law abiding person…

The UK has some of the toughest gun control laws in the world. If you want to own a gun, it is very difficult to do so. [ http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/england/10220974.stm ]

We’ve just had a gunman who killed 12 people in the UK [ http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jun/02/cumbria-shootings-slaughter-countryside-derrick-bird ] and as expected there are calls for even stricter gun control.

What I find pathetic is that at the end of the day I bet you that this guy – like so many others before him – was taking legal, prescription drugs that turned him into a psycho but, we’ll never see people crying our for control of those drugs because big pharma’ is just too powerful…

When I see articles in La Nacion (29th May 2010) [ http://www.nacion.com/2010-05-30/Sucesos/Relacionados/Sucesos2388612.aspx ] that state that “The police in the street are poorly trained…” and that “There are police on the street that have fired 75 shots in their entire lives…”

I practise with five times that amount each month at the range and I honestly don’t want that “officer” coming anywhere near me or my family with a weapon.

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]To what maravilla has said, I wish to add that a country with little or no military establishment necessarily spends less or nothing on warfare. (Duh!) That leaves more resources to meet human needs. And it puts such a country in the position of having to resolve its differences with other countries through other means than war.

For many years, Costa Rica and Nicaragua have differed over the use of (I forget the name) the boundary river. Rather than waging armed conflict over the matter, they’ve recently agreed to take it to the World Court. Likely few or no casualties will result as the matter is resolved.[/quote]

David, you are right, it was resolved with no casualties. Actually, several months ago the World Court sided with Nicaragua and placed the border on the south side of the river, but giving CR access to the river for tourism and safety of citizens without restitution to Nicaragua. The strange thing was Costa Rica’s argument before the World Court was for access to the river “for their military”????????????

Two other things –
    1. David & Maravilla – I never said that having no army was a bad argument, I only said that it didn’t seem likely that was the ONLY reason that anyone would move here – there are too many other good reasons to move & live in Costa Rica. If having no army was the ONLY reason, then I assume that you renounced your US citizenship concurrent with your move.
    2. Maravilla – I can only assume how sad you are to find out that Scott is actually a member of the “armed militia of paranoid gringos.”

Sorry Scott, I just couldn’t resist!
    crb

moonbanks

[quote=”moonbanks”]went to gun shop in multiplaza and tried to buy a gun..was denied stating I had to be a permanent resident not a temporary and couldnt buy with a corporation (which I have )unless I was a permanent resident…bottom line was told the new law states only a citizen or permanent resident can legally own a firearm for protection at their home…Any opionions?????[/quote]

I am not paranoid..I live in a great tico neighborhood and have wonderful neighbors..I did not move to costa rica because they had no army..I moved hear for the culture,the beautiful mountains and beaches and people.I have handled firearms all my life and I was taught at an early age not to use them unless you intend to shoot..would I shoot if someone was breaking in to my house..Yes..would I carry on the street probably not..I have been in and out of costa rica for the last ten years and have never encounter a problem..But I had guns in my house in the U.S. for the same reason and would like to do the same here..Guns are like lawyers ,you dont like them until you need one..
    Hope you dont have a home invasion,tied up,robbed ,raped and possibly murdered…

maravilla

i would bet scott is better trained than all of you, and probably most of the police here. it’s not him i worry about, but the untrained gringos who believe they are astute enough to put that gun to good use and not injure some member of their family, or worse yet, have that gun used on them by the intruders (which happens a lot). and no i did not renounce my citizenship, but i voted with my feet. i have the right to my citizenship, but i can also protest that in which my government engages to which i am diametrically opposed, and an illegal war over wmd’s that didn’t exist, was high on the list of criminal acts that i refused to condone. i live in a perfectly livable, beautiful place in the States; the only thing i got tired of was the snow, so climate was a tiny factor in my decision; war mongering loomed large.

Andrew
    Keymaster

One of our VIP Members – a woman – emailed this to me today…

Why I Might Carry a Gun

My old grandpa said to me ‘Son, there comes a time in every man’s life when he stops bustin’ knuckles and starts bustin’ caps and usually it’s when he becomes too old to take an ass whoopin.’

I don’t carry a gun to kill people.
    I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don’t carry a gun to scare people.
    I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don’t carry a gun because I’m paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world..

I don’t carry a gun because I’m evil.
    I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don’t carry a gun because I hate the government.
    I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government..

I don’t carry a gun because I’m angry.
    I carry a gun so that I don’t have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don’t carry a gun because I want to shoot someone.
    I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don’t carry a gun because I’m a cowboy.
    I carry a gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I want to be a cowboy.

I don’t carry a gun to make me feel like a man.
    I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don’t carry a gun because I feel inadequate.
    I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don’t carry a gun because I love it.
    I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

Police protection is an oxymoron.
    Free citizens must protect themselves.
    Police do not protect you from crime, they usually just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.

Personally, I carry a gun because I’m too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin’…..author unknown (but obviously brilliant)

A LITTLE GUN HISTORY

In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
    ——————————

In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
    ——————————

Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.
    ——————————

China established gun control in 1935. >From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated
    ——————————

Guatemala established gun control in 1964. >From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
    —- ————- ————-

Uganda established gun control in 1970. >From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
    ——————————

Cambodia established gun control in 1956. >From 1975 to 1977, one million educated people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
    —————————–

Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million.
    ——————————

You won’t see this data on the US evening news, or hear politicians disseminating this information.

Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws adversely affect only the law-abiding citizens.

Take note my fellow Americans, before it’s too late!

The next time someone talks in favor of gun control, please remind them of this history lesson.

With guns, we are ‘citizens’. Without them, we are ‘subjects’.

During WWII the Japanese decided not to invade America because they knew most Americans were ARMED!

If you value your freedom, please spread this anti gun-control message to all of your friends.

The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain.
    All else is supplemental.

SWITZERLAND ISSUES EVERY HOUSEHOLD A GUN!
    SWITZERLAND’S GOVERNMENT TRAINS EVERY ADULT THEY ISSUE A RIFLE.
    SWITZERLAND HAS THE LOWEST GUN RELATED CRIME RATE OF ANY CIVILIZED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!!

IT’S A NO BRAINER!
    DON’T LET OUR GOVERNMENT WASTE MILLIONS OF OUR TAX DOLLARS IN AN EFFORT TO MAKE ALL LAW ABIDING CITIZENS AN EASY TARGET.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.