Costa Rica’s Secret Season on the Caribbean

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Costa Rica’s Secret Season on the Caribbean

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    bloucas

Yes excellent info….thanks.
    So why did you choose Guanacaste? My understanding is that it is very dry. Is it the surf that got you?
    My last and only visit (in June)was to Jaco, Quepos, Dominical, Uvita and a bit south. I like Uvita and also Playa Hermosa (Esterillos) just south of Jaco. I understand your comment about FL. It can be pretty hot and humid there, can’t imagine it would be worse on the CR coast. Going back sometime soon to attend an ARCR mtg and hope to move down in about a yr.My wife and I will be retired so looking for an area close to the beach and still a good value. If you have any input on the southern region it would be welcome.

2bncr

After you have spent hot & humid weeks at the beach, the dryness of Guanacaste is refresing, The dust is annoying though. The international airport there is a huge asset. It eliminates the need to enter the maze known as San Jose.

The southern Zone has a nice new hospital. I wouldn’t buy into the new international airport thing though. It’s one of the most biologically sensitive areas in the world. You need to be sensitive to the community.

Here are some questions you should ask yourself? Do you speak Spanish or intend to learn? If you don’t speak Spanish or do not intend to learn than you may find yourself socially isolated if you move to a community with few foreigners.

What do you like to do to stay busy and can you do it there? The central valley offers much more activities and opportunity to meet progressive people than the beach areas. Dominical has a very clickish group of gringos. Some have said that they are a hard nut to crack. However there are many opportunity to buy goods and food in San Isidro de El General. One of the best ferias (farmer’s market) I have ever been to is there. The restaurants are not comparable to the San Jose area though.

If you are buying property here, are you buying for lifestyle, investment or both? If buying for investment, think about the area’s wider appeal, not just what you like. The same goes for building. If you build, think about the resale potential. Don’t build anything to out-there (abnormal), if you know what I mean.

Is it the surf that you desire? Some beach areas have less availability to fresh quality vegetables and are boring. I find the Samara area to be like this: great place to visit but wouldn’t want to live there.

How far do you wish to travel to shop? The Jaco area has some decent shopping because of the Auto Mercado, etc, and likewise the Tamarindo area. However, these are higher end more costly stores. The beach areas are hard to compete with San Jose area for cost of living issues. Also you will want AC there and that can get expensive.

One issues with the beach areas is lack of modern facilities and the lack of medical professionals. The best doctors and dentists are in San Jose.

Be sure to visit the hub cities that you will be frequenting, such as San Isidro dE El General, Liberia, Nicoya, Santa Cruz, etc.

I think one of the best beach communities is Hacienda Piniella. Guarded, rural (its several planned communities within a cattle ranch), with two fantastic beaches to the north and south (Avellanas and Langosta). Great surf at your back door without ever having to leave the ranch. I own a lot there and have friends there. Let me know if you want to check it out.

Several new books about living and buying in Costa Rica are available. I would suggest buying them. Be sure to research the culture too.

DENISE

We have visited CR 6 times
    we started in Pavones and have traveled up to Tamarindo
    we found our heaven in and around Nosara…we love the beach and bought land in Ostional….high on a hill overlooking ocean and farm land….that was 4 yrs ago…like i said we have yet to go to the caribean side but as far as deciding WHERE we will end up who knows…once we are able to retire in CR, we will travel the country staying in areas we like for long periods of time…that is the only way to see if you fit in…
    There are good and bad sides to Playa Guiones….but pros out weigh the bad
    good luck
    i will email you privately when i find more time….ahhhhhhhh CR

bloucas

Thanks for all the input 2BNCR. I have heard about the dust so I guess nothing is perfect. There’s always a trade off somewhere. I was there (Jaco, Quepos,Dominical,etc) in June and although it was warm and humid I did not find it over bearing. Maybe on my next visit I’ll visit the northern beaches.
    I’m looking for a nice quiet area close to the beach (view would be nice) and still close enough to some decent supermarkets. Jaco way too crowded for me. I also want to check out the area between San Isidro and Dominical.
    ~B

bloucas

D~Your property in Ostional sounds beautiful. What are the downsides? I would love to build my own home but I’ve done it before and know the frustrations and that was in San Diego (Julian). Like you, we plan to rent and travel for awhile before deciding where to finally settle.
    Look forward to talking with you sometime.
    ~B

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.