Costa Rica’s Secret Season on the Caribbean

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Costa Rica’s Secret Season on the Caribbean

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    bloucas

Just read Scot’s article on the carib side. Sounds good for a short period but I heard it was extreamly hot and humid most of the year. True or false?
    Bill

Andrew
    Keymaster

The article was written by Manuel Pinto who knows the area much better than I do ‘bloucas’.

Manuel who is French/American and his young family have lived there for years and they love it.

I have visited – and stayed in their lovely jungle guest house – normally at this time of the year and the beaches are just breathtaking.

It depends on your personal taste. If I was retired, I certainly could enjoy living there but as a businessperson, still rushing around doing stuff, I need to be where it’s a bit cooler.

You can see the minimum/maximum temperatures and average rainfall for the Limón area at:

[ http://www.imn.ac.cr/IMN/MainAdmin.aspx?__EVENTTARGET=ClimaCiudad&CIUDAD=14&FAHRENHEIT=1 ]

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

bloucas

Thanks for the clarification Scott. I wrote in haste and realize you didn’t write the article. Having been to the west (Jaco to Uvita)this past June, I found it warm but not undesirable. Of course I’m a little spoiled living in San Diego. I plan to retire in CR in a yr or 2 and am considering all beach areas.
    Love your web site.
    Bill

Andrew
    Keymaster

That Natural Meteorological Institute website is a great website for trying to determine general climate conditions in different geographical areas:

[ http://www.imn.ac.cr/IMN/MainAdmin.aspx?__EVENTTARGET=LinksInfoClimatica ]

But remember that in many places you juts have to build or find your home a little higher up the hill and it can be dramatically cooler.

Nobody believed me at first but in our weekend/vacation home which is at an altitude of 2,204 meters (7,230 feet) the evenings get wonderfully cool and fresh which means that we enjoy a roaring fireplace every single night of the year when we’re up there and, it’s perfect snuggling and sleeping weather for us.

Scott

DENISE

good mourning Bill
    we also are planning our move to CR in 3 yrs….we have gone to Nosara for the last 3 of 6 yrs we have been visiting….my husband is a surfer so ocean is a must…bought land there but still want to visit carribean and pts north of Tamarindo….
    we also live in SD and live at the beach …inland just seems so out of our lifestyles but never rule out change
    denise

bloucas

Hi Denise. I’d love to chat with you sometime and compare notes. My fiance and I are targeting sometime around June~Oct next yr. Depends on pensions etc and what the CR immigration will accept (hers kicks in before mine but not sure if they’ll accept hers) I’m in La Costa and you?
    Have you started any of the process? Do you have a favorite area yet?
    Bill

DENISE

good morning
    i am so jealous you get to move before us!!!
    we have not started any proceedings….as i said Playa Guiones is our favorite area and each time we go, we meet more people and get the real info about living there. we are torn as to start proceedings before new immigration laws kick in….or wait til we make the move…my husband will spend this next summer there getting dental work done and surfing of course
    we live in Cardiff by the Sea
    i’d love to talk to you also but don’t know if we can exchange emails via this site

2bncr

Bill nad Denise, I live in Encinitas and hang out at the pannicin in Leucadia. mail me and lets get together and talk Costa Rica. cr4me1234@yahoo.com. Let me know when you have mailed me and I’ll get right back to you and we can all meet up.

bloucas

Hey cool, I’ll shoot you an email but what’s your name? What is your move status? Are you planning to relocate soon? We’re still working on our papers and now shooting for Oct 2010 to coincide with pension.
    Denise, I guess this answers your question.
    Bill

bloucas

Denise, can you meet me on the ARCR site?
    Bill

DENISE

good morning Bill
    Scott has emailed me your email address so i will email u privately

bloucas

Did you send anything yet?

The Caribbean coast is a bountiful region full of unique attractions. I have never been there when it has been as hot and humid as GTE or Florida. I’ve lived in Costa Rica since 1992 and for six years lived on a Pacific Ocean beach in Guanacaste and the only beach I still go to in CR for pleasure is Punta Uva. It is located on the Atlantic Ocean past Puerto Viejo, close to Manzanillo, which is the end of the road in southeast Costa Rica. It has a couple of small hotels and restaurants, and a small residential area. When you’re down there you should treat yourself to a drink or meal at Maxie’s restaurant in Manzanillo. You can’t miss Maxie’s because the road dead ends into the building right on the beach. Punta Uva is most known for its excellent beaches and the Punta Uva butterfly garden, which has an amazing variety of tropical butterflies. The actual point of Punta Uva is a rocky promontory which extends out over the lovely Caribbean Sea. The rock is a great place to explore, covered with lush jungle, and a trail leading to up to a great lookout point at the top. To the north-west of the point there is a sheltered cove with great swimming. One of the most popular beaches in the area, especially among the locals, this beach even offers kayak rental during the tourist season, and is a great spot for water sports and just lying around in the sun. A short access road leads down to this beach right across the main road from the Punta Uva grocery store, and there is parking right next to the beach. To the south-east of the point, the town of Punta Uva comes right down to the beach, with several beach-front houses and a restaurant or two. This region also has excellent beaches, with white sand and no reef. Check out my favorite place to stay in Punta Uva at; http://www.laspalmashotel.com

2bncr

Excellent info – thank you crhomebuilder.

Edited on Oct 02, 2009 06:26

2bncr

I have a home in CR and travel there frequently. Drop me a line and lets meet. Am leaving to CR shortly. Great rates on flights right now out of LA.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.