Costa Rica Real Estate in Decline?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Costa Rica Real Estate in Decline?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Imxploring
    Participant

Hey Dockers… Are you one of those people that just thrives on conflict? It seems so to me at this point… we went from a healthy debate about real issues to you just attacking everyone else’s thoughts and opinions. You have an opinion on everything (the RIGHT ONE OF COURSE)…. yet they are full of contempt for the thoughts of others. I have to wonder WHY IN THE WORLD you’d be spending so much time on a website about Costa Rica when it appears you have NO LOVE or desire to invest or live here? Only negative comments and thoughts coming from you. Is there ANY reason you’re posting here? Are you in the least interested in CR? Have you ever been here? Do you have ANY desire to learn about a different country, it’s culture, it’s people, or it’s spoken word?

I’m guessing you’re just one of those trolls that sits in front of your computer all day looking for websites with discussion boards and just likes to stir it up a bit. Nothing to add… no interest in learning anything (after all you already know it all how could anyone teach you something!)… just a desire for the human contact (be it through a computer) you so lack in the real world. The ability to sit behind a keyboard and have people answer to you, something that NEVER happens in the real world because you’re a nobody… overlooked… underemployed… disowned by your family even thou they have done everything to help you, they now have washed their hands of you. I know it’s tough being smarter then everyone yet not being able to get anyone to listen, hence the reason you’re here posting…

The problem is that the folks here are just too nice to see that and stop bantering with you. They are truly the type of folks that do well in Costa Rica, open mind, easy going, willing to face change, respectful of others and their culture and so on. You on the other hand are not! They are trying their best to provide you with THEIR experinces and and knowledge and perhaps open your mind a bit to something you apparently can’t (or don’t want to) get. I’ve dealt with tons of folks like you in my life, and I have to say I enjoy the exchange when it’s a good faith exchange… but it appears now we’ve gone past that. So I have ONE question for you…. please take your medication (I know you don’t need it…. just humor me!) … and take a few deep breaths before answering…. before Scott pulls the plug on you and you’re once again forced to find another forum to seek the respect you so desperatly seek to convince yourself that you are normal.

What is it you’re here for?

Edited on Sep 05, 2008 12:30

Edited on Sep 05, 2008 16:42

maravilla

you couldn’t sound more silly. . . as IF tearing up my passport renounces my citizenship. one grandparent spoke 4 languanges and the other spoke 3. my first language wasn’t english. it’s lovely that you are an expert in multilingual families, which aren’t your own. sheesh. pick a topic you know something about.

enduro

Well I have been reading this discussion and I have to agree with you IMX, although a little on the curt side, you have summed up exactly what I was thinking about dockers. He states he lives in California,,, that could explain a lot… It had to be one of my worst experiences going there. I found the people to be austentacious and fake, well most not all. There were some good people there too. It was not somewhere i wanted to live. Costa Rica on the other hand was just the opposite, very welcoming and friendly. There were exceptions there too, but they were the ones “locked” into their “why can’t this be like home?” mentallity.

I’ve lived in several countries in the world and always RESPECTED the locals and their culture. I personally WILL be moving to Costa Rica to live/ retire and will assimilate into the culture. I’m one of those “adventurous” ones that doesn’t want the gated community… give me a modest home in the middle of the Ticos and I’ll be happy.

As to Dockers original “slamming” of Scott, I only have one thing to say… “Do your own homework”. You will find it very difficult to find all the information you need without help. This website provides that help if you read and or ask. Whether Scott makes money from real estate through this website is entirely up to him. If his advice is not what you are looking for … look somewhere else!

There are many people on this site that provide lots of info because they want to help others get through some of the pitfalls they might encounter. To those people I say thank you.

To dockers I say.. “get a life and stay in California!”

dockers

marv, you lived with your grandparents and your parents… interesting.

Edited on Sep 05, 2008 23:24

dockers

enduro, i don’t have a problem with Scott making money.

what i have a problem with is operating under the cover that he doesn’t sell real estate. he reminds everyone of this all the time. he uses that to imply that he can give unbiased information on this website and to his “clients.”

fact is, he is profiting and it is more difficult to be unbiased so i told people to beware.

i hammered on scott for this issue alone. he runs a public website so he should be able to take the heat, which he has very well. i commend him! he could have delete my ID. i also realize and i am sure Scott does as well that his dealings could come back to haunt him in this public space. i can only imagine that scott cautions his “clients” that he could actually be wrong and that they should seek more advice so that in the end, they only have themselves to blame.

truth is that even if someone follows his recommendations based on his recommendation, they still only have themselves to blame. i’m a real proponent of pointing a finger at “self” instead of others.

(“He states he lives in California,,, that could explain a lot… ” ….. so many people jealous of us Californians… the weather, the wealth, the beautiful women, the innovation, the beautiful coastline, the beautiful mountains…. so sorry you can’t afford to live here enduro.)

dockers

Imxploring says: What is it you’re here for?

i was wondering if anyone were willing to admit any downturn in real estate in costa rica. some are willing to admit to it, other are not.

i didn’t intend to go at it with Scott about profiting, but that cover i’ve mentioned and then his words expressing basically that he is profiting just got to me. i never expected this to come up.

as for the attitude toward marv – just don’t like people who spit on the USA from afar and she does it all the time, every chance she gets. hardly ever a kind word for the country that provided her to means to be where she is today…. that ticks me off!

i am point blank, but give me credit for no name calling or threats to anyone and i don’t shout out any 4 letter words to anyone. i think i’m just point blank and in this Politically Correct world, many don’t appreciate it.

dockers

marv, i love you!!! mmmwwwwwaaaaa!!!! really, i’d probably enjoy talking with you in person… so different than myself, i just might learn a lot from you. lots of your types here in the bay area… can’t avoid them… we agree to disagree but we have a good time at it.

maravilla

europeans don’t typically toss their elder relatives into a nursing home to waste away and die, now, do they? in europe there are multi-generational families even today. we didn’t always live with the grandparents but we did when i was really little and my grandfather was ill and then dying. sheesh. if you find that interesting, your life must be really boring.

maravilla

bashing the US? I wouldn’t be living in Costa Rica but for the fact that a certain political party put our country in the crapper by pouring billions of dollars into an illegal war, while ignoring the needs of its own citizens. And how do you know where i got my money? maybe it comes from a family trust in europe. you make assumptions that you shouldn’t really make. it is the right and the duty of every single citizen to criticize its government, but you’ve obviously been brainwashed to believe that making those criticisms equates to being unpatriotic. as for scott, i had already done my research about costa rica before he and i met. he and i exchanged books we had written, and i remember telling him that all the info in his book was info i had already come across, meaning that it was very good advice based on the reality of costa rica, which is not california, colorado, or michigan. i still don’t understand your gripe with his advice or his recommendations. you really seem like a pot-stirrer. who died and made you the grand mufti of all things pertaining to costa rica? hey, have you ever been here? are you planning on moving here or building a house or buying a condo in some gringo enclave? if so, then you will do yourself a favor by reading scott’s book on buying property here and not losing your camisa. you are such a gringo!!!

Imxploring
    Participant

But wait there’s more….

California… Smog, crime, gangs, traffic, overflowing jails, taxes gone wild, a budget deficit the size of Kansas, illegal aliens, earthquakes, self centered people,….. and that’s BEFORE you remeber it is the land of FRUITS AND NUTS! LOL

Been there…. wasn’t impressed… but to each his own!

dockers

marv, marv, marv, you said that i am here to stir things up, but why do you keep feeding me? nothing else to do? bored? if you can’t resist feeding me, you are absolutely NO BETTER THAN ME!

marv, marv, marv, still harping on the war? the war cost aren’t even 0.5% of gdp. the bigger issue is the mortgage crisis and until recently the very weak dollar.

hey, if i was wrong about where you obtained your money, i’m sorry. what i assumed isn’t an outrageous assumption. an outrageous assumption would be for me to think that you are on social security disability payments for your survival.

if you still don’t understand my gripe with Scott, you’ve not been reading. i’ve stated it many times on this thread of posts. maybe you meant that you don’t “agree” with my gripe since understanding it is quite elementary.

and marv, there is a lot more multi-ethnic culture here in the bay area than colorado so surprised you don’t seem to know this…. you are not well traveled marv? actually, i bet you’ve been around the world 8 times and lived in 20 states. you’ve done it all. even an author, yeah i noticed, i’m impressed. wow!

hey marv, are you just an armchair activist or have you ever really taken action to change anything? certainly, if you’ve ever tried to change anything for the better, you should be able to provide us a few links to your life’s work as an agent of “change.” come on marv, tell us how you were a tree sitter before it was ever popular, tell us how you marched on washington against the Vietnam war, tell us how you’ve supported the minority community in colorado and protested against cuts in health care and social security and taxing the poor while reducing taxes for the wealthy…. i can see you out there now with your stick and placard walking the beat. ever written an editorial? link us to it.

funny how you live in a country where the gov’t is pretty much inept and the police are corrupt, yet you describe it as if it has no problems. i know you’ll have your lame reasons for not criticizing costa rica, but hey, why not, there is more than enough to criticize. how about that highway to the coast and all those smoke spewing buses and trucks on the highway down there? how about all those helpless young hookers being taken advantage of by gringos? have you helped any of those young girls? are you doing anything about any of this? how about the sewage running into the ocean, do you do anything in Costa Rica other than talking trash about the USA?

all those stray dogs in costa rica, you doing anything to help? all that litter in the streets and sidewalks and vacant lots, have you organized a ‘do not litter’ campaign yet? i’m sure you are doing something to make costa rica better marv since there is so so so much to make better, it is difficult for an activist such as you to sit idle no matter where you live.

Edited on Sep 06, 2008 11:55

dockers

Lotus, that makes perfect sense!

Housing is a bargain in the USA right now whether you are buying to live in it or as an investment. I don’t like housing as an investment because of liquidity, but for those that like it, now is the time. The hassles involved with “investing” in CR can be avoided by buying close to home.

And you are right about gated communities, they are all about security. Of course, there are home robberies here in the states, but nothing on the scale of Costa Rica. You can’t have a front porch with chairs on it in Costa Rica or even a front yard with flower pots…. if it isn’t unreachable, it if isn’t nailed down, it will be stolen.

dockers

haha Imxploring, what a JOKE.

Traffic? San Jose is grid locked.

Taxes in Costa Rica? Ever wondered why a TV or computer costs 4 times what it does in the USA?

Illegal aliens? Don’t make me find all the links about Illegal Nicaraguans being in Costa Rica.

Overflowing jails? At least we lock them up here.

A budget deficit? yeah, but unlike Costa Rica, we’ve always paid our debts, Costa Rica’s debt was forgiven by the USA!

Smog? At least I don’t have to run for cover when a buses or truck passes me.

You and Marv should get together, have a pow wow about how the USA sucks as if Costa Tica has no issues.

When I was in Costa Rica, all the litter and stray dogs and slutty hookers walking the streets were a real turn off. Costa Rica can’t even handle the elementary issues.

At least I can have chairs on my porch without someone taking them. At least I don’t have to have a 6 foot wall with barbed wire on top around my house.

Anything else you want to say Imxploring?

ed f

It is fairly obvious that you don’t hold Costa Rica in high regard Dockers, which leads me to ask—-why are you participating in this forum? What is your interest or do you post here because you enjoy being negative?
    ed f

dockers

ed f…. nope, don’t enjoy being negative, however i can’t understand why Americans who live in Costa Rica or any other country think they can slander the USA when in fact they are living in a place with far greater problems.

i can imagine living there because it is different than the USA, but please, it surely isn’t better than the USA. people that run to a country that has far greater internal problems and then complain about the internal problems in the USA don’t make sense.

so, if someone wants to talk about the traffic in California, i will remind them of the grid lock in San Jose and a lot more. the list of internal problems in Costa Rica is long so i have plenty of ammo.

i can see people running to another country for 2 reasons, because it is different (culture, language) and because the cost of living is lower. trouble with costa rica and a lot of other places is that the cost of living isn’t really that much lower, because gringos/gringas often want to live the same standard of living as in the USA and that isn’t cheap anywhere. how many here are taking the bus EVERYWHERE? how many here live in a gated community? how many here living at the beach can turn on their AC? how many here surf the internet from an internet cafe? how many here have a car? all of this adds up.

as for wanting to live with the same standards back home, take this very website as an example. Scott isn’t profiling the average Tico home, he is profiling homes that few costa ricans can afford. if the majority wanted Tico style homes, Scott would have a lot of those homes on this website. actually, back in the early days, Scott profiled homes with far more reasonable price tags, but I guess he figured out that there was greater demand for homes that meet American standards. This brings me back to the profiting, why would Scott mess with Tico style homes or those slightly above average Tico style when the commission isn’t as great? hmmm! Scott is not only serving his “clients” well, but he is profiting from a higher commission (kick back) too.

costa rica is great when compared to other developing countries, but it isn’t paradise. you have to get used to seeing the stray dogs, the litter, the bars on windows and doors, the cracked up sidewalks, the potholes, the barbed wire on top of the walls and the smoke spewing buses and trucks. these things are things people have to accept for the experience of living abroad.

as for retiring with the american standard of living, it can be had in plenty of places in the USA without the above mentioned list of internal problems. people aren’t escaping any internal problems by going to a developing country to live, the are encountering more, however they just have to accept them.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.