Costa Rica and China!

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Costa Rica and China!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    johnnyh

Recently Costa Rica’s president Solis went to Washington District of Corruption to receive his marching orders, but I’m wondering if he is being a realist specially as China seems to be the growing economic star. I came upon an interesting article some may find illuminating.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-02-16/us-vs-china-study-opposites

Needless to say, I was quite impressed by President Solis and his fluent English, which by the way tells me he was educated in the USSA, and would be prone to play by the latter countrie’s rules and accept its inflation. Any thoughts?

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”johnnyh”]Recently Costa Rica’s president Solis went to Washington District of Corruption to receive his marching orders, but I’m wondering if he is being a realist specially as China seems to be the growing economic star. I came upon an interesting article some may find illuminating.

Needless to say, I was quite impressed by President Solis and his fluent English, which by the way tells me he was educated in the USSA, and would be prone to play by the latter countrie’s rules and accept its inflation. Any thoughts?[/quote]

The old saying “Money talks and B.S. walks” is the new policy in CR…. and the Chinese are throwing an awful lot around… but they’re slick… It’s not walking around money that the politicians can pocket… It’s “in-kind” cash… a stadium built by Chinese workers… police cars built in Chinese factories… New Dock facilities, New refineries, and other public works projects and promises that will be done by Chinese companies using Chinese materials, management, and most likely workers. By the time that the challenged leadership in CR realizes what’s going on they’ll be so deep they’ll have no way out.

Don’t be fooled by Solis… he’s as big a fool as Don Oscar and Laura… he’s playing with a snake… and at some point you always suffer the bite!

China doesn’t want conquests… it wants consumers… and by merging its foreign policy with it’s economic policy of world expansion it has the US beat hands down!

The country is being flooded with cheap Chinese goods and products. The same crap that has killed the US markets and created the trade imbalances. China needs to keep their people working and they need consumers. Even the “trade” deals that have been announced between China and CR have been a joke.

The Chinese have a ton of cash reserves to spend… so finding friends while keeping those fangs hidden should work very well with the current gang running CR and most of Central and South America.

johnnyh

[quote=”Imxploring”][quote=”johnnyh”]Recently Costa Rica’s president Solis went to Washington District of Corruption to receive his marching orders, but I’m wondering if he is being a realist specially as China seems to be the growing economic star. I came upon an interesting article some may find illuminating.

Needless to say, I was quite impressed by President Solis and his fluent English, which by the way tells me he was educated in the USSA, and would be prone to play by the latter countrie’s rules and accept its inflation. Any thoughts?[/quote]

The old saying “Money talks and B.S. walks” is the new policy in CR…. and the Chinese are throwing an awful lot around… but they’re slick… It’s not walking around money that the politicians can pocket… It’s “in-kind” cash… a stadium bit by Chinese workers… police cars built in Chinese factories… New Dock facilities, New refineries, and other public works projects and promises that will be done by Chinese companies using Chinese materials, management, and most likely workers. By the time that the challenged leadership in CR realizes what’s going on they’ll be so deep they’ll have no way out.

Don’t be fooled by Solis… he’s as big a fool as Don Oscar and Laura… he’s playing with a snake… and at some point you always suffer the bite!

China doesn’t want conquests… it wants consumers… and by merging its foreign policy with it’s economic policy of world expansion it has the US beat hands down!

The country is being flooded with cheap Chinese goods and products. The same crap that has killed the US markets and created the trade imbalances. China needs to keep their people working and they need consumers. Even the “trade” deals that have been announced between China and CR have been a joke.

The Chinese have a ton of cash reserves to spend… so finding friends while keeping those fangs hidden should work very well with the current gang running CR and most of Central and South America.[/quote]

I guess things change so that they will remain the same. Costa Rica has exchanged the USSA for China. I hope Costa Rica gets a better deal, notwithstanding my cynical views.

Imxploring
    Participant

Looks like another “Deal” with the Chinese that creates reasonable questions.

Lawmakers could approve $395 million Chinese loan to expand Route 32 as early as this week

I am definitely concerned about the Chinese scrounging their way into Costa Rica. A very close friend of mine lives in HK. The value placed on human and animal lives and ecology is non-existent. It worries me for Costa Rica.

[quote=”Imxploring”]Looks like another “Deal” with the Chinese that creates reasonable questions.

Lawmakers could approve $395 million Chinese loan to expand Route 32 as early as this week

Andrew
    Keymaster

[quote=”sweikert925″]Seems to me President Solis is doing what any good leader should do – exploring every opportunity to improve the well-being of his people. Those who are inclined to always see something sinister wherever they look will act true to form.

The Chinese are doing nothing different than the British, French, Dutch, Americans and every other country that wanted to promote their business interests have historically done.[/quote]

It’s only my opinion but if I may point out one fairly significant difference sweikert925.

In promoting their ‘business interests’ the British, French, Dutch, Americans have killed a LOT more people than the Chinese ever have trying to promote their ‘business interests’, don’t you think?

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″]As long as Costa Rica remains an independent country rather than a province of China, your worry would seem to be a bit exaggerated.[/quote]

That depends on your definition of “independent”…. seems the opponents of the lasted Chinese “deal” have correctly pointed out that CR is being issued a commercial loan at a market rate but are being subjected to the dictate of the Chinese on who they must hire to do the work… in this case a Chinese firm (with questionable credentials)… which will no doubt be sourcing equipment, materials, management, and manpower from yet other Chinese firms…. that doesn’t really sound very “independent” does it?

As to Scott’s point… who needs bullets to fight a war these days… the Chinese have reserves that are being used to fight and conquer countries. And fools are quick to grab the money without considering the consequences. Like Don Oscar and his move to establish relations with China… one must question its true intent being fully aware of their record on human rights and contempt towards the environment.

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″][quote=”Imxploring”]That depends on your definition of “independent”…. [/quote]

Not really, CR still had a free choice to take that deal or not.

[quote=”Imxploring”] Like Don Oscar and his move to establish relations with China..[/quote]

Which was a better deal for CR – recognizing reality, accepting that the Beijing government was in fact the legitimate government of the Chinese mainland and getting something in return? Or doing that and getting nothing for it, as almost all the other countries had done by 2007? Seems to me Arias’ move was pretty shrewd.

Which option would you have picked if you had been in Arias’ shoes?

A) Gone on ridiculously pretending that the Taipei government was the legitimate government of mainland China
    B) Recognized Beijing, but without getting anything in return
    C) Recognized Beijing, but getting something in return

I suspect I may not get an answer from you on this one.[/quote]

So a former Noble peace prize winner aligns his country with one that is well know for its “challenged” human rights issues and complete lack of respect for the environment…. two traits CR allegedly holds dearest…. seems reasonable doesn’t it?

Yeah…. but he got a free stadium… and allows a foothold for Chinese influence and control…. and a flood of crap products to fill the shelves in CR.. the local hardware store is stocked with dollar store quality goods… all garbage. Hasn’t trade with the Chinese done wonders for the US? No problem there right? I can’t wait to see what it does to CR considering the lack of regulation, control, and testing of Chinese products now flooding CR.

Seems Don Oscar talks out of both sides of his face…. but him and his brother quietly left the public eye afterwards… guess there was more than a stadium in the deal.

And already the Chinese feel they can dictate their will in CR…. Luckily some of the politicians see where this is headed and have raised issue with it. Perhaps there is a glimmer of hope…. but I fear that’s only wishful thinking!

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″][quote=”Imxploring”] And fools are quick to grab the money without considering the consequences. [/quote]

The nations of Central America have more reason than most to know that, since for decades they have danced to tunes that were composed on Wall Street.

Why is it that you always assume you are smarter than the government of Costa Rica?[/quote]

I think you’ll find quite a few people that have had up close and personal dealings with the government in CR that will share my opinion that they consider themselves considerably more competent and smarter than the government of CR…. perhaps a poll is in order??? LOL

Want to chime in Scott?

If the recent past leadership of CR is any indication you might want to reconsider your support of their intelligence and intentions… two recent presidents have gone to jail for lining their pockets on “deals” they entered their government into while running the show in CR… so the intentions of these folks is always in question… and the deals with the Chinese have the same smell to them…. and it’s foul.

Imxploring
    Participant

Nice of you to try to provide multiple choice questions…. but it seems you like to take control by limiting one’s answers to the choices YOU impose.

I’ll answer this one… wrong about anything…. YES… believing a meaningful exchange could be had with you on any topic… I knew that when you blew off the Boston Tea Party as an inconsequential event in American history in a prior exchange.

I have a multiple choice question for you…

Did you take your psych medications today?

1. Yes, but they don’t seem to be working.

2. Yes, and I feel fine…. the voices are guiding me through my day as usual.

3. No, I think I left them on the spaceship I was abducted on last night.

4. No, I don’t need them I know better than the doctors.

Have a wonderful day there Buttercup! 😉

pharg
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″]And, as usual, once you run out of logical arguments you resort to childish insults.[/quote]

Periodically a series of discourteous exchanges erupts all over this discussion forum. Often it seems to be sweikert925 and a series of his antagonists. For me, I see them as nonconstructive pissing contests. It reminds me of one of Winston Churchill’s (many) quotes – Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

More tact in disagreements would be a nice change.
    PEH

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”pharg”][quote=”sweikert925″]And, as usual, once you run out of logical arguments you resort to childish insults.[/quote]

Periodically a series of discourteous exchanges erupts all over this discussion forum. Often it seems to be sweikert925 and a series of his antagonists. For me, I see them as nonconstructive pissing contests. It reminds me of one of Winston Churchill’s (many) quotes – Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

More tact in disagreements would be a nice change.
    PEH
    [/quote]

Just a slow day on the boards to discuss real issues. Besides I had some extra quarters to toss in the sweikert925 machine to provide some local entertainment. He’s predictable… defends the Chinese without addressing their history and issues on human rights or the environment… makes excuses for criminal politicians in CR by deflecting the issue with other criminal politicians as if to make it sound acceptable … anything to be contrary. It’s just his way. He’s gonna be a big hit in CR for about 2 years.

So what might your feelings be about CR getting cozy with the Chinese? Good, bad, or neutral? How about the short and long term implications of the agreements being crafted?? Does CR benefit in the long term or do they end up on the short end of the deal? Is the control the Chinese are requiring as part of their generosity something the politicians in CR should be concerned about as some have made issue with?

Imxploring
    Participant

BTW… Love the Churchill quote. But sometimes a more direct effort is required.

Here is another Churchill quote…. one I like.

“You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.”

Seems he had a good grasp of both direct and less direct methods of expressing discourse with people over issues.

pharg
    Participant

[quote=”Imxploring”]
    So what might your feelings be about CR getting cozy with the Chinese? Good, bad, or neutral?[/quote]

1. nearly all politicians of any nationality are venal;
    2. when money talks, ethics walks;
    3. not knowing the details of who gets what, and when, I am neutral until things play out.
    4. At that point, any opinion I have is almost certainly inconsequential as far as the C.R. government is concerned.
    PEH

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″][quote=”pharg”]Periodically a series of discourteous exchanges erupts all over this discussion forum. Often it seems to be sweikert925 and a series of his antagonists. [/quote]
    Can I be more courteous in my exchanges? Yes, I suppose so. But once someone abandons all pretense at courtesy toward me I feel less constrained to be so with him.

Another admirable trait that Winston Churchill had was a refusal to practice unilateral disarmament. That’s the one I prefer to emulate.

If some are going to continue to show their contempt and condescension toward Costa Rica, its people and its government then I am going to continue to point that out and push back against it.[/quote]

Quite admirable Steve…. but perhaps once you get to know the way the country works and how their politicians are running the show you might not feel so benevolent. For now we’ll leave it at that… Cheers!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.