Costa Rica #5 best spot to retire

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Costa Rica #5 best spot to retire

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    davidd

[quote=”kwhite1″]

Get used to it, the US influence will continue to grow in places like Costa Rica. As more and more US citizens “flee” the country or retire, they bring with them the bad habits of the US.[/quote]

Kwhite

how do you like Belieze so far????

please share your continuing experiences because I am now 5 years ahead in my mind eye and need to start doing some diligence. Costa Rica is hanging on a thread and if what you say is true which I believe the trends show this

your right more and more Americans like Sweikert LOL only kidding dude you know I love you 🙂

will be flocking to costa rica with thier cultural habits and of course there will always be a supply to meet that demand.

I may have to find another spot to find.

how are the people..?? are they all dark skinned??? meaning do you stick out like a sore thumb

thanks

David

Kwhite1

[quote=”davidd”][quote=”kwhite1″]

Get used to it, the US influence will continue to grow in places like Costa Rica. As more and more US citizens “flee” the country or retire, they bring with them the bad habits of the US.[/quote]

Kwhite

how do you like Belieze so far????

please share your continuing experiences because I am now 5 years ahead in my mind eye and need to start doing some diligence. Costa Rica is hanging on a thread and if what you say is true which I believe the trends show this

your right more and more Americans like Sweikert LOL only kidding dude you know I love you 🙂

will be flocking to costa rica with thier cultural habits and of course there will always be a supply to meet that demand.

I may have to find another spot to find.

how are the people..?? are they all dark skinned??? meaning do you stick out like a sore thumb

thanks

David[/quote]

Hey David….I am headed back down to Belize next month for a couple of months then full time in November, I have to get some things finished up here with my company and I need to get through hurricane season here in Fla.

The people are fantastic, have not met one yet that I did not like. Not everyone is dark skinned, the population mix is about 50% hispanic, 20% mennonite, 10% asian, and the rest make up mayan (origional Belizeans) and african/caribbean. The best part is where I am at, only about 1% white boys.

I don’t stick out too terribly bad, the culture is a very non judgmental community, the gringo tax is around but after a very short time you can get past that, once people know you are a local.

Housing is very inexpensive right now, albeit there are some house that are getting all the $, especially on the coast. I am in San Ignacio, 30,000 population and the 2nd largest city in Belize, about 10 miles from Guatamala. But an average 2/3 bed 1/2 bath will run around $100,000 USD or you can get a wooden mennonite house on stilts for about $40,000 USD.

Ther are not any box stores or franchises there, no wal mart, starbucks, McD’s. Everything is local owned, which is kinda nice not to have a half caf-decaf-double espresso-latte-with whipped cream option for your coffee fix.

Come on over, I’ll save you a spot on the compound.

Swashbuckler out……

pdsnickles
    Participant

[quote=”crhomebuilder”]Costa Rica is the fifth best country in the world to retire, according to the [url=http://www.topretirements.com/blog/international-retirement/10-best-international-places-to-retire.html/]10 Best International Places to Retire[/url] – the annual index produced by International Living as well as the publication Top Retirements.

[/quote]

Isn’t International Living one of those sites that’s always pushing one area in which they have a lot of investments, or am I thinking of a different site? In any case I wouldn’t put too much stock in this list.

These lists are always subjective, based on the criteria chosen and there is always some level of subjective preference in the mix, I think.

From what I hear it’s very expensive to live in Spain, Italy, etc. and while I haven’t done research on it recently, the last I heard was that these countries in Europe – and New Zealand – are very hard to get into as a legal resident. Maybe that’s changed, I should read the article I suppose.

Glad to see CR made the list but I agree that the Americanization of the world is underway and if things keep going CR will not be THAT much better than the U.S. in another decade or less. I’ve been visiting CR (and lived there for months at a time) for 25 years and what I see is not good imho. Oh, that’s right, we are not supposed to get political. Okay well I’ll just say that CR is not as attractive to me (and many others) as it once was, due to “changes” in the culture and government and economy. Take your best guess as to the root of those changes.

The number of obese people has increased in CR just as it has increased in the USA. The most likely cause: CORN SUGAR, SUCROSE, HIGH FRUCTOSE etc – all those artificial sugars which are like poison to our systems and cause diabetes. And hydrogenated fat – another poison. And let’s not forget: aspartame.

davidd

I think pdnickes already explained it

[b] “the Americanization of the world is underway and if things keep going CR will not be THAT much better than the U.S. in another decade or less. I’ve been visiting CR (and lived there for months at a time) for 25 years and what I see is not good imho. Oh, that’s right, we are not supposed to get political. Okay well I’ll just say that CR is not as attractive to me (and many others) as it once was, due to “changes” in the culture and government and economy. Take your best guess as to the root of those changes.”
    [/b]

your mentally masturbating again 8)

DEFINITION: Best Answer – Chosen by Asker

Doing useless things to exercise your brain. Engaging in something intellectually stimulating, yet barely practical. E.g. engaging in a debate for its own sake, playing sudoku, solving mathematic problems for the sake of it.

[quote=”sweikert925″][quote=”pdsnickles”]
    Isn’t International Living one of those sites that’s always pushing one area in which they have a lot of investments, or am I thinking of a different site?
    [/quote]

No, you’re right, they do push real estate REALLY hard and it’s not just annoying but makes me wonder if the site isn’t just primarily a real estate sales outfit and the other stuff is just window dressing. That said I have come across a lot of helpful information through their site and hey, everyone has to make a buck somehow. Access to their website is free so an occasional sales pitch is to be expected.

What I did find hard to swallow was the nearly daily emails I got from them offering me a lifetime subscription to their magazine. I don’t see why anyone would buy a lifetime subscription to ANYTHING, let alone a magazine whose information will be mostly irrelevant once I’ve made my final decision on where to retire to.

[quote=”pdsnickles”]
    Okay well I’ll just say that CR is not as attractive to me (and many others) as it once was, due to “changes” in the culture and government and economy.
    [/quote]

Could you expand a bit on what those changes are? I understand it’s not as much of a bargain to live in CR as it may once have been, but what are you referring to specifically when you say culture and govenment?[/quote]

VictoriaLST

What? Defaming sudoku? tsk tsk

pdsnickles
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″]

Could you expand a bit on what those changes are? I understand it’s not as much of a bargain to live in CR as it may once have been, but what are you referring to specifically when you say culture and govenment?[/quote]

You have to read between the lines. We were asked not to get into political discussions so I refrained from the line of thought I was writing.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.