Costa Rica #5 best spot to retire

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Costa Rica #5 best spot to retire

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Costa Rica is the fifth best country in the world to retire, according to the [url=http://www.topretirements.com/blog/international-retirement/10-best-international-places-to-retire.html/]10 Best International Places to Retire[/url] – the annual index produced by International Living as well as the publication Top Retirements.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Interesting that we are the first country listed outside of Europe…

I know which climate I prefer…

1. Ireland
    2. France
    3. Coast of Spain
    4. Italy
    [b]5. Costa Rica[/b]
    6. Croatia
    7. New Zealand
    8. Panama
    9. Mexico
    10. Ecuador

davidd

it’s funny how people regurgitate statistics and lists as if they actually mean anything.

for $10 you can buy a domain

put up some content and drive traffic to it

and soon you will have people that read the article and pass this along as if this is anything more than an opinion.

soon you will position yourself as an expert

then you will have people that will read something like this and make a move to costa rica because they read a report that its one of the best places to live

personally I love costa rica with all its flaws

but things are moving in the direction that I do NOT like

can you imagine what this country will look like in another 10 years from now

how about 20 to 30 years

the young generation here are now growing up on mcdonalds and burger king and pizza hut, wendys, subways, starbuks.

and soon the casada will be a thing of the past.. and will be manufactured for tourist locations

I get asked alot about moving here and my canned response is always

DONT DO IT.. Stay where you are. 😀

[quote=”Scott”]Interesting that we are the first country listed outside of Europe…

I know which climate I prefer…

1. Ireland
    2. France
    3. Coast of Spain
    4. Italy
    [b]5. Costa Rica[/b]
    6. Croatia
    7. New Zealand
    8. Panama
    9. Mexico
    10. Ecuador
    [/quote]

Andrew
    Keymaster

I don’t like the direction that most “developing” countries are moving in but let’s please try to refrain from turning this into a political discussion that’s NOT related to Costa Rica.

I do agree about the diet here. Just in the last decade I have noticed an ENORMOUS change in the size of the Ticos…

When I arrived in 1999, you could see zillions of incredibly slim and attractive Ticas walking around with their tailored jeans and a tanned, bare flat stomach showing…

You rarely see that now but do often see extremely obese families waddling around…

What I can’t honestly understand is how any mother and father – in any country – can feed their kids and watch as they get fatter and fatter and fatter…

What sort of heart and general health problems are they giving their own children from their earliest years?

Are they totally blind? Do they not care about their own children or, do they feel “comfortable” knowing that they are just like Mum and Dad?

costaricafinca
    Participant

Yes, I think they feel “…[i] comfortable” knowing that they are just like Mum and Dad”?[/i]
    We have none of the above mentioned fast food outlets in our town and still have the overweight families…although we have many beautiful [u]young[/u] and fit[i] Ticas[/i]. Personally, I think it has more to do with the amount of bread spread with layers of [i]natilla[/i]…. yummy as it may be, usually served with[i] gallo pinto[/i] that is fried with lard. Plus rice & beans are less expensive to serve, than salads and veggies, so proportionally less of the latter.
    Those would love to make the move here, may tend to think that fruit is grown on every corner, but in truth very few [i]Ticos[/i] have access to year round, free fruit. And when they do, they [u]seem to prefer[/u] to make it go further and turn it into a [i]refresco[/i] with lots of added sugar. Just like they like their coffee….:shock:
    When we head out to the beach areas where more ex-pats reside, there are also plenty of overweight [i]extranjeros [/i] either who live here or just visiting.
    No matter where you live, as one ages, it is harder for some, to lose weight even though they eats healthy.

[quote=”Scott”]I don’t like the direction that most “developing” countries are moving in but let’s please try to refrain from turning this into a political discussion that’s NOT related to Costa Rica.

I do agree about the diet here. Just in the last decade I have noticed an ENORMOUS change in the size of the Ticos…

When I arrived in 1999, you could see zillions of incredibly slim and attractive Ticas walking around with their tailored jeans and a tanned, bare flat stomach showing…

You rarely see that now but do often see extremely obese families waddling around…

What I can’t honestly understand is how any mother and father – in any country – can feed their kids and watch as they get fatter and fatter and fatter…

What sort of heart and general health problems are they giving their own children from their earliest years?

Are they totally blind? Do they not care about their own children or, do they feel “comfortable” knowing that they are just like Mum and Dad?

[/quote]

You are right with your observation, 15 or more years ago there were not many fat Ticos, now there are not many slim Ticos. Ticos are totally uneducated when it gets to nutrition.

The costarican food pyramide a few years ago had as major item BIMBO bread, rice, pastries and other carb-bombs. One day I asked a father why they were feeding their little kids so much sweets and candy, knowing how bad it was. His answer was, if it was not healthy, the government would not allow to sell it. What a concept !

Just now I read an article every once in a while where they recommend more fruit, salads and veggies, and less carb-loaded food. Plus more and more Ticos go on a bike or run.

There seem to be some changes, maybe the next generation will be slim again (my daughter is 16, 5’9″, 120 lbs. and in good shape).

davidd

[quote=”sweikert925″]I can’t speak to how the average Costa Rican’s diet has changed over the past generation or 2, but it is a general rule that as average wealth increases, so does obesity.

While the number of American style fast food outlets has apparently increased in CR in recent years, the number is still pretty low so I can’t see how it would affect to any great degree the level of obesity there.[/quote]

[b]that’s because your not from costa rica so you have no REAL world experience of anything costa rica related besides your browsing internet forums.[/b]

YOu don’t see what is actually going on here with the impact of American Companies infiltrating this culture with consumerism.

I have seen this movie before so i am more aware. poor ticos never see it coming.

not only will ticos be an obese country but also also in debt buying the LED flat screens, Ipads, and all on credit.

my wifes nephew is now a young 23 years old. he got his first job working at Gallo

so what does he do

he buys a motorcycle

and he buys a PlayStation 3

a galaxy phone

a 32 inch LED

all on credit LOL what a way to begin your work life.

see years ago.. the general populace did not own much and were happy

now the realize that in order to be happy they need these material things..

anyway

glad to see your staying home 🙂

costaricabill
    Participant

I think it’s Gollo, but anyway, the next time you are in one of their stores look closely at the price tags. You can buy just about anything they see on credit – – but it is 43% annual finance charge (interest). They know that a typical Tico can’t save up $600 to buy a washing machine or TV, but they also know that “to keep up with the neighbors” that same Tico family will buy these things on credit and be in debt for years and years.

[quote=”costaricabill”]I think it’s Gollo, but anyway, the next time you are in one of their stores look closely at the price tags. You can buy just about anything they see on credit – – but it is 43% annual finance charge (interest). They know that a typical Tico can’t save up $600 to buy a washing machine or TV, but they also know that “to keep up with the neighbors” that same Tico family will buy these things on credit and be in debt for years and years.[/quote]

Just like we were raised years ago (in Germany, and we were not rich !!) a Tico could very well learn to save for an electronic toy or a washing mashine (Tico washers are not that expensive) but since the “mortgage-bug” has contaminated the world, nobody wants to wait a year or two to buy stuff, they want to have it NOW immediately. By the time they pay it off it is broken in most of the cases.
    It is a question of education, my kids and I have normal cel-phones and other items, paid in cash, inexpensive and/or used/Ebay etc. I would never ever pay those crazy interest rates, it would probably be cheaper to pay a washing-lady during the saving-waiting period. Plus, those kids (and adults) spend so much time on their i-crap and x-crap that they don’t have time to really work or study. They are our future society ! Pura Vida……..

VictoriaLST

It seems to me, looking at IL’s top 10, that there is something wrong. The mag tends to ‘push’ certain countries but what are the criteria. This link, at Forbes mag, has some different countries: http://www.forbes.com/2009/10/15/ten-best-retirement-havens-personal-finance-retire-abroad_slide_12.html

What are the criteria for any of the recommendations? Stable government and low cost of living would seem to be (to me anyway) required for a haven which makes me wonder why Thailand is Forbes #2. CR doesn’t even make the Forbes list. Italy and Spain make both lists, but, with the uncertain EU situation and debt accumulation, is either a good choice?

I guess, as the old saying goes, “you pays your money and you takes your chance.” I like the chance we decided on:)

johnnyh

Wow! You guys are right on spot. I have family in Costa Rica on my mothers side, and it’s true, I have younger cousins in their 30’s that are overweight. And this is due to pura vida? One cousin in particular likes his beer and chorizo rinds. The last time we talked on Skype I was amazed how he ballooned!
    I’ll be 64 this July, and I weigh 143 at 5’8″ and would like to get back to 137! As soon as I have my metal plate and hook removed from my shoulder, I will get back to exercising.
    I’m also worried about this invasion by American fast food places, as well as Starbucks. Does Starbucks also charge outrageous prices in Costa Rica? And why do Costa Ricans pay these prices?

VictoriaLST

Solid criteria although I might rearrange a couple. But I like it 🙂

davidd

Sweikert

my man

you hit it right on the money

interesting list and you can tell alot of the the persons importance by a list this specific

and keep in mind this is fluid

one of my very initial tops was costa rica women

now that I have a family and have found my life’s companion

that is not on my list.

since cost of living is your number one

this is something that is indeed changing here. and right off the bat if your not willing to adjust your favorite items that are imported it is much more expensive here than back in the states

[quote=”sweikert925″][quote=”VictoriaLST”]It seems to me, looking at IL’s top 10, that there is something wrong. The mag tends to ‘push’ certain countries but what are the criteria.
    [/quote]

The IL article that accompanies the list makes this caveat at the outset:

[i]”This a highly subjective list. There are doubtless cheaper places to retire, and perhaps more beautiful. The choices on this list reflect those of a hypothetical person/couple with: low to medium ability in a foreign language, preference for Europe to Latin America or Asia, low to medium amount of adventure and flexibility, limited desire to live in a gated compound, low tolerance for bureaucracies where bribes and capriciousness rule.”[/i]

That, I think, explains why 5 European countries made the top 10.

[quote=”VictoriaLST”]
    What are the criteria for any of the recommendations? Stable government and low cost of living would seem to be (to me anyway) required for a haven which makes me wonder why Thailand is Forbes #2. CR doesn’t even make the Forbes list.
    [/quote]

I couldn’t find anything on the Forbes article that indicated what criteria they used and how they ranked those criteria. But with any list like this you have to take the results with a large boulder of salt because of the comments that IL included and which I quoted above.

What is important to me when deciding where to retire are these considerations, in order of importance:

Cost of living
    Quality and availability of health care
    Climate
    Taxes
    High speed internet
    Natural beauty
    Interesting stuff to do
    Crime rate
    Stable government
    Transporation system
    Ease of attaining legal residency status
    Proximity to the US
    Ability to communicate (which includes ease of learning the language as well as prevalence of English speakers)
    A sizeable expat community

I’m sure others would have a different order of importance and probably other considerations entirely, so no matter how these lists are arrived at they can’t in any way be taken as anything other than a starting point for deciding on a place to live.
    [/quote]

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”Scott”]I don’t like the direction that most “developing” countries are moving in but let’s please try to refrain from turning this into a political discussion that’s NOT related to Costa Rica.

[/quote]

Not to worry Scott! The natural balance of nature will cause the pendulum to swing back…. the rising price of food will once again have the Ticas thin and looking good hoping to attract that rich Gringo to kill the hunger pains. It’s all part of the natural order of things. LOL

Just like the Chained CPI calculation in the US will have folks switching to cheap food products until they just can’t afford to eat at all and just quietly drop off the charts!!

Kwhite1

Get used to it, the US influence will continue to grow in places like Costa Rica. As more and more US citizens “flee” the country or retire, they bring with them the bad habits of the US.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.