Construction Quality & Prices in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Construction Quality & Prices in Costa Rica

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    clayman

I have spent the last three weeks touring around some of the Pacific coast and am stunned at some of the insane prices that people seem to be happy paying for really shitty construction.

I have seen places selling for up to US$6,000 per square meter in areas that have diddly squat to offer and where I KNOW I could have built for way less than 50% of that. (I have built over 100 homes in the US)

Are construction materials that expensive in Costa Rica?

Are the builders just greedy and marking up properties more?

Is it just me? Did I pick the wrong places?

Is there a sensible $$ range per square meter or per square foot that we should use as a guidleine?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Location is critically important. If you’re building in an area which is in high demand by affluent North Americans, prices will be high. Builders will charge what the market will bear. If you look in the more liveable (in my humble opinion) Central Valley, where 75% of the population lives, you will find prices more reasonable. And if you choose wisely, you can get good quality construction and finish.

Construction in Costa Rica is primarily of steel reinforced masonry — concrete block and liquid concrete. Prices for both steel and concrete are up and rising quickly. Labor is the bargain.

If I were looking to build in one of the outlying (from San Jose) areas in the Central Valley (Grecia, Sarchi, San Ramon, etc), I would be doing my preliminary budgeting on the basis of $80 to $85 per square foot. You may well build for less, but if you can’t afford that price range, you need to rethink your project. As you, a builder, well know, everything costs more than first anticipated.

diesels12

As a builder who has built 3 homes in Costa Rica to American specs (large rooms,stucco,teak doors and ceiling,nice trim,etc.) I can say I never exceeded $50 a sq ft. and in fact have built for as low as $35 sq. ft. with good quality. I too am puzzled by the insane pricing of the projects in Costa Rica and I can only assume it is price gouging. I refuse to refer my friends to these projects and I firmly believe there will be an adjustment soon.

sprite

I spent some time with an on site engineer at a very nice home he was building in Palmares. He estimated the cost at about $78 a square foot. This was with granite counter tops, plaster walls and ceilings and top of the line appliances. It was a stunning home the likes of which you might find in West Palm beach or better Miami neighborhoods and you would be hard pressed to build any more luxury into that project. I am no expert but I was impressed with the quality. The workers in that area seem to do excellent work and building materials are made or stored all around that area so transport costs are minimal. I am trying to guess what costs will be in 4 years time as material prices are rising so quickly.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

It’s important, too, to know exactly what is and is not included in any price quoted. Some builders here will quote a per square foot or meter price but not immediately divulge that they’re not including doors, windows, tile, cabinetry and countertops, plumbing and electrical fixtures, workers’ compensation insurance, Social Security, architect’s fees, permits, inspections, appliances, etc.

We completed our main house in Grecia at Christmastime. Our total cost, including everything but furniture, was about $72 per square foot. It’s a nice enough house, and well built, but there’s no swirly tub, no swimming pool, no heat, air conditioning or fireplace, etc. That price does, however, include all site preparation (which was not inconsiderable), sod and some fairly inexpensive plantings, and lots and lots of drainage.

jafranz

Clayman
    You need to spend a lot more time than three weeks to research building cost..There is no way you can know what the cost are in that short of time. I am a contractor in the US and also have a home in CR. Compare apples to apples wherever you want to live (Same as the US)

apexit

Save yourself time call my architect Leo Barrantes 25 years experience. 4 years of High School in Pennsylvania so he speaks english well Honest. He knows alot of builders will save you money and Leo makes sure you are protected. He lives in San Jose but has contacts all over the country. He has located a builder on the Pacific Coast for me and they are looking for work now. He also uses skype. Good Luck!
    Stan Putra
    Leo Barrantes
    506 881 1211
    Leo@banderabeachestates.com

Edited on Jun 24, 2007 08:03

aenaze1

My curious question to all is; Is the pricing referring to “roof overhead” area or living space? I have heard different ways of going about it.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

You’re going to pay for what you’re going to have built. There will be some savings per square foot for open space (decks, porches, etc), but in the end, square foot prices don’t mean anything. What matters is what the total job will cost.

You must be careful, too, to see that all costs are included. A wired, plumbed, roofed shell is a very different matter from a finished house with all fees and expenses paid. Know what is and is not included and what the exclusions will cost.

apexit

I believe he didn’t answer your question and you bring up a good point . Living space is more expensive than open covered space. When we obtained our permits, the law says no more than 300sq meters, 300 meters covered then you don’t need a Setena study. So watch the honest realtors that tell you the house is 3000SF but only 500 is enclosed living space.
    Stan Putra

Edited on Sep 18, 2007 12:42

Rita

Everything sounds very sensible. Does anyone have experience or know architects or builders in the Tilaran area? We’re hoping to build a modest home this season or next and want to start talking to people.

rf2cr
    Participant

Rita,

We are just completing a small house at Aguacate on the opposite side of the lake. While we haven’t seen it since it was started (do have photos) feel that he price was reasonable. We have seen other jobs that Minor (our contractor) has completed so feel confident he will have done a good job for us. I don’t have a phone number for him but if you get in touch with Jim & Rene at Rico Realty at cinco esquinas, they can tell you how to get in touch with Minor and Jim can recommend a good architect. Also have seen the work that Willeke & Kees had done at their B&B in Tronadora (B&B Monte Terras), their contractor did a good job and they were very pleased.

Good luck,
    Ruth

moonchyld62

Hi, Can you also provide Leo’s email?

Rita

Ruth:
    We really like Jim and Renee and they were going to get hold of Minor to see if he’d be interested but they’ve been too busy, I guess. Anyway, how can I reach the people who built the B&B in Tronadora, that’s pretty close to us?
    Thanks for the leads, we need all we can get. Contractors are so busy.
    Rita

Andrew
    Keymaster

Reposted here by Scott

mcpeake

One man´s mansion is another man´s privvy. That mansion listed was probably the finest home that he had ever owned. And we can only guess where he lived before he lived in Costa Rica. I have seen people who have inherited LOTS of money build-on to a single wide trailer with a beautiful mansion. It is all in their taste (or lack of it). Like the saying goes, even though the monkey wears a silk dress, it´s still a monkey.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.