Chinese Help?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Chinese Help?

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    aguirrewar

You are comparing apples to oranges. The Sea Hawks stadium is in the USA with the latest technologies, material, equipment AND workers. I am talking about CR, which does not have the latest or the greatest as the USA.

You can pour 1,000 yards of concrete a day in the USA due to the availability and infratructure. Try to do that ib CR.

I can guarantee that 200 Chinese cannot by themselvescannot built the stadium in CR in 12 months. Who will prepare the job site, load and drive the materials to the site, plan the unexpected and changes to the master plans, etc, etc, etc.

apples to apples not to oranges

enduro

aguirrewar – after some pondering and investigating, I concluded that you make a valid point… and I now say that the 200 chinese will be nowhere near enough people to build this stadium. It took 17000 to build the “birds nest” in China and took almost 5 years… admittedly that is somewhat of a special stadium and huge. I now say to be completed in 2 years they will need every construction worker in Costa Rica to achieve that (including all the Nicas) and every cement mixer there is!!!

grb1063

Aguirre
    With 22 years ecperience in the commercial consruction industry I have never seen nor heard of a 1,000 yard concrete pour in one working day for a commercial building. It is not physically possible to stage that quantity of 9 yard trucks (typical capacity) and have that many concrete pumpers on-site to accomplish. Even tha massive $7 billion City Center project in Las Vegas with its own concrete batch plant on-site working 24-7 cannot pour that much concrete in a day. This could only be accomplished in massive slab construction such as highways and would eliminate any concrete pours for an entire region at maximum capacity.
    It is not an apples to oranges comparison really when you have an experienced labor force, however, I am certain that this will be supplemented with local labor to double the work force. The number of total workers for the Seahawks stadium includes all the finish work and complex mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems. We are talking about a stadium that has luxury boxes, stores, restaurants, weight training facilities, offices, etc. Comparatively, it is ten times as complex as the San Jose stadium, yet was still completed in 2 years working 8 hour days, 5 days per week.
    The Bird’s nest is the equivalent of a $4 billion US stadium and is one of the most complex structural stadiums ever built. It also has over a 100,000 capacity for multiple uses, suffered numerous delays due to infrastructure not being in place, the discovery of unsuitable subsurface problems and a myriad of design revisons because of its complexity. In reality, the bulk of the stadium was completed 1.5 years before opening.

Edited on Oct 24, 2008 22:14

aguirrewar

grb:

So you are saying 200 chinese will built the stadium in CR. 1,000 yards concrete is also not possible in the USA which equals 27,000 cubic feet which you can pump in the USA at the rate of 1 cubic feet a minute.

27,000 x 1 min. = 27,00 which equals 450 hours divided by 24 hours pumping = 14.75 days which means you are RIGHT but.

Use 14 pumpers or 20 and then it is 1 day or less to pump 1,000 yards a day. We have that and more in the USA, check how they did the Hoover dam, many years ago and what we can do today.

Well, does CR have this capacity? Or did the Chinese will bring their equipment that equals the USA’s capacity?

Your call

Warren

grb1063

A dam would use more concrete per surface area than any other public works type project. The Hoover dam was also built under Roosevelt’s New Deal program when there was not any work, thus all available resources in the Las Vegas region were solely focused on one project. That is not realistic today without years of prior planning, contractual and cost escalation guarantees with respect to labor, material and physical plant. You would be hard pressed in a US urban setting to get more than 6-8 pumpers dedicated to one project. In additon, a stadium does not require large, continuous concrete pours; most stadiums that have a concrete seating substructure, the concrete is precast in units supported by steel or additional precast concrete. Most modern stadiums are predominatly consructed of structural steel, which is much more quickly erected. Concrete trucks and pumpers are not the issue for this project, but cranes are and there would not be a need for that many due to the speed of steel erection with prefabricated members. I believe Costa Rica can provide the equipment for it would be exhorbitantly expensive to ship mobile and/or tower cranes of sufficient capacity from China to CR. The San Jose has significant experience with concrete, but less with steel framed structures. This is not a complex stadium and smaller than most all Division I NCAA university stadiums in the US. I am certain that the 200 chinese work force is composed of predominantly specialized and supervisory personnel and would be supplemented by local labor, subcontractors, suppliers and manufacturing facilities. As a contractor, from a cost perspective and goodwill, I would endeavor to seek as many companies as possible to satisfy my project needs locally due to the very high cost of travel, shipping and subsistence that would render my company non-competitive.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.