Chinese Help?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Chinese Help?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Jeanne

A daily CR paper reported that 200 Chinese workers will be used on the new stadium that China is donating to CR. Is the building industry so booming that Ticos are totally employed and there is a need of 200 Chinese workers? The article also stated that the housing would be provided by pre-fab built in China…how is this helping the economy of CR? Just curious….

maravilla

China typically imports its workers to wherever they are building anything. I guess because China is in a trade agreement with Costa Rica, they can pretty much call the shots. Besides, if they import their labor they probably won’t have to abide by CR labor laws. In Africa where China is building all kinds of stuff their workers work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, for two years. Try getting that past the CR gov’t!!

Andrew
    Keymaster

I haven’t followed this story in detail but aren’t the Chinese actually paying for the construction of the new stadium? If so, surely if they’re paying all the bills, they have the right to choose the staff?

Should be interesting to see how quickly it’s completed.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

hrichards

Jeanne

China is paying for the stadium .. i guess you did not know this otherwise you would not have made that statement.. as far as bringing in the hired help.. excellent move on chinas part otherwise it would take twice as long and double the amount of money to build this. meaning with the corruption.. employment laws and basically the overall “manana” disease that runs amok here lol

i almost forgot Aguinaldos lol

Edited on Oct 22, 2008 09:30

costaricafinca
    Participant

There is also a lack of construction workers here, or at least there was due to the building boom in Guanacaste.

Jeanne

I am quite aware that China is donating the stadium…donating the stadium means local laws can be ignored? There is no free lunch…what other strings are attached? Oh yes, cut ties with Taiwan, no visit from the Dali Lama, “manana” is part of the charm of CR As far as corruption, China is no angel – just ask someone who lost a child or a pet due to the food contaminations exported by China.

grb1063

China is footing the bill for the construction and they also have the workers experienced with these types of projects having recently transformed Beijing infrastructure and constructed billions in venues within a 4 year period. However, their worker safety record is attrocious and I am certain they have factored in worker fatalaties on the job site. Also, the asian construction industry has a serious problem with methamphetamine abuse, primarily due to the fact they work around the clock, 7 days per week.

maravilla

You would think that CR would put pressure on China NOT to manufacture or export food items containing melamine. I think ten people died in CR and Panama from contaminated candy and tooth paste. But I guess when it comes to the big red dragon, the golden rule applies: Who who has the gold, rules.

jneiman

Apparently the entire stadium will be constructed of melted down “White Rabbit” and substandard steel!

albertoB

Come on now Scott,
    You are the one who insists that no immigrant without the proper residency should be allowed to work here. I find it interesting that no Costa Ricans were qualified to build this stadium. Can it really be that complicated? Have they not built stadiums here before?

As an investor in CR, I am not allowed to bring Canadian workers to build my project no matter how much experience they have.

I might believe it was all above board if they brought their own engineers and maybe supervisors, but it sounds like the project is off limits to CR nationals.

Alberto

Andrew
    Keymaster

I’m sure ‘AlbertoB’ their Chinese workers will have the correct immigration status – whatever that may be (may be ‘diplomatic’)…

I’m also sure that if you were were to build your project with the idea of GIVING it to the Costa Ricans upon completion that you would be allowed to hire hundreds of Canadians (as long as you were the one paying their wages) to complete the job …

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

aguirrewar

Come on people! 200 workers CANNOT build that stadium maybe 2,000. What the Chinese are bringing into CR are their experts in arranging for the building of the stadium.
    200 Chinese working 18 hours every day would complete that stadium in 20 years.

Warren

maravilla

Maybe this is just the beginning of the influx of foreign workers? Look at the projects they are involved in in Darfur. They brought over thousands of workers who are literally slaves until the project is done.

grb1063

Qwest Field in Seattle (NFL Seahawks) was constructed with a maximum of 400 workers during its peak in two years and seats 67,000. 1/3 of the $360 million dollar cost was provided by the team owner Paul Allen (Microsoft co-founder).
    Safeco Field (MLB Mariners) was built in the same time frame, has a very complex retractable roof and seats nearly 48,000.

enduro

I have to agree with grb… 2 years is quite indicative of the timeframe for this stadium, especially as it only holds about 40000. Most of the workers will work 12 hour shifts and work will happen 24 hours a day 7 days a week. I would think that there will be opportunities for Ticos, but how many? who knows

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.