Changes in CAJA status

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Changes in CAJA status

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    janetl2424

I wonder what this means for rentista residency where we show an income of $2,500 per month. Will they say my husband has an income of $1,250 and I have an income of $1,250? Or will they say we both have an income of $2,500 per month? We pay caja online and just made our usual monthly payment and it went through. I’m wondering when this will catch up to us? When I go to the doctor?

PeteB
    Participant

[quote=”barbara ann”]We, My husband and I, also have our residency together with combined income. So is there a change that will separate us on an income basis? If so, I wont qualify on my own. I would like to know the answer to that as well[/quote]

Stef has an appointment next week with the CAJA. She has no income at this time leaving her with the same question as you. Will let you know the result after she gets the information.

PeteB
    Participant

[quote=”lawfool2″]Not to muddy the waters, but . . .

I just went to my local clinic for an appointment that was made a month ago. However, I didn’t get past the receptionist. She said I now have to have my own account with Caja, that I can no longer be my wife’s dependent. But here’s the interesting thing. I asked her if this new rule applied to Ticos and she said no! She said according to the instructions that they’ve been given, only foreigners have to have separate accounts and can no longer have one spouse as a dependent of the other. So, while I respect Roger Peterson, our local clinic clearly believes that they only have to force us foreigners to get separate accounts. Ticos still only have to pay one monthly fee for the family, not two.[/quote]

When we visited the CAJA office this week – one lady said it just affected expats, then the one at the desk next to her said it applied to everyone. Right now, we really don’t know either to be a fact. – Guess we will have to see what the ARCR comes up with when they start their objections to this new policy.

lawfool2

[quote=”janetl2424″] I’m wondering when this will catch up to us? When I go to the doctor?[/quote]

Regarding this question, it won’t “catch up” to you until you have to renew your cedula and therefore your carnet at the Caja. Until then you remain covered on your husband’s account.

beverleygay

Hello Janet12424. Rentista is a big problem with the CAJA. My commonlaw husband & I are paying a very large payment of $480. for both of us for one month. We have been told it is unconstitutional. Just a little crazy. So much for reading information about “reasonable rates”.
    [quote=”janetl2424″]I wonder what this means for rentista residency where we show an income of $2,500 per month. Will they say my husband has an income of $1,250 and I have an income of $1,250? Or will they say we both have an income of $2,500 per month? We pay caja online and just made our usual monthly payment and it went through. I’m wondering when this will catch up to us? When I go to the doctor?[/quote]

janetl2424

[quote=”beverleygay”]Hello Janet12424. Rentista is a big problem with the CAJA. My commonlaw husband & I are paying a very large payment of $480. for both of us for one month. We have been told it is unconstitutional. Just a little crazy. So much for reading information about “reasonable rates”.

We are paying the same as you. But there is no way we could afford to pay double that amount. Our dream is starting to feel like its going to cost us more than we can afford. It’s very discouraging 😥

davidd

this looks like it affects new enrollments.. my spouse and my 3 kids are all covered under my plan which I pay voluntarily.

my wife has to renew her carnet so lets see what happens.. she is tica not expat.

costaricafinca
    Participant

No, not only those recently enrolled but Permanent residents too. Plus, people are not able get treatment or pick up the Rx’s until they have re-enrolled, although areas and facilities could vary, as they have in the past.

Andrew
    Keymaster

[quote=”lawfool2″]Not to muddy the waters, but . . .

I just went to my local clinic for an appointment that was made a month ago. However, I didn’t get past the receptionist. She said I now have to have my own account with Caja, that I can no longer be my wife’s dependent. But here’s the interesting thing. I asked her if this new rule applied to Ticos and she said no! She said according to the instructions that they’ve been given, only foreigners have to have separate accounts and can no longer have one spouse as a dependent of the other. So, while I respect Roger Peterson, our local clinic clearly believes that they only have to force us foreigners to get separate accounts. Ticos still only have to pay one monthly fee for the family, not two.[/quote]

Question: Knowing that you will get ten different answers from ten indifferent people working in practically any government office in Costa Rica, you prefer to believe them rather than our Costa Rica tax expert who regularly consults with Presidential candidates here in Costa Rica and a well known published Costa Rica legal expert?

lawfool2

[quote=”Scott”]
    Question: Knowing that you will get ten different answers from ten indifferent people working in practically any government office in Costa Rica, you prefer to believe them rather than our Costa Rica tax expert who regularly consults with Presidential candidates here in Costa Rica and a well known published Costa Rica legal expert?

[/quote]

Lol. You’ve been here long enough to know that what your expert who consults with Presidential candidates says and what the local officials do are not necessarily the same. Peterson may be absolutely correct but that doesn’t do me any good when I’m dealing with the local CCSS official. What would be helpful is if he would file suit in Sala IV of the Supreme Court to have this latest regulation declared unconstitutional. Now, if my neighbors (all Ticos), my gardener and my maid all start complaining about having to separately enroll their spouses and pay extra, then I’ll believe your expert is correct. So far they are all astounded that my wife and I have to have separate accounts.

seawader

Fascinating stuff! This change in regulations (if correct!) would adversely affect so many of us ex-pats on fixed incomes here in Costa Rica. We look forward to hearing what the ACTUAL story is.

jreeves

It’s not just dependent spouses that are getting hit with this – a newly approved resident posted on the ARCR forum that last week when they signed up for CAJA his 18-year-old dependent child, a full-time college student, was forced to get her own CAJA as well as his dependent wife.

My son turns 18 in March & that is when his carnet expires, so I’m definitely paying attention to all of this. He’ll be finishing high school & going straight into college, still our dependent, but will have to get his own CAJA according to the policy being enforced by these local offices. Luckily my carnet doesn’t expire until 2017.

Jessica

davidd

Scott

Lawfu has an excellent point..

🙂

OK I just got back from the caja in heredia.. and they gave my wife a copy of the prerequisites for renewing

I will attach a copy here and you can look at this yourself

I dont read anything what is being said here.. so lets see how this plays out

Its a new addendum and I think its meant for the homosexual couples as well..

I also believe its for NEW enrollments.. [b]NOT renewals[/b] because they highlighted a portion of what my wife needs to do to get this renewed. and this may also play out differently for foreigners..

OK guys [url=http://prntscr.com/5dsaze]here is a screenshot of the requisites[/url]

since my wife is already affiliated the yellow highlights are what is needed to renew

I really think this is geared towards new enrollments as well as foreigners.

[quote=”lawfool2″][quote=”Scott”]

[/quote]

Lol. You’ve been here long enough to know that what your expert who consults with Presidential candidates says and what the local officials do are not necessarily the same. Peterson may be absolutely correct but that doesn’t do me any good when I’m dealing with the local CCSS official. What would be helpful is if he would file suit in Sala IV of the Supreme Court to have this latest regulation declared unconstitutional. Now, if my neighbors (all Ticos), my gardener and my maid all start complaining about having to separately enroll their spouses and pay extra, then I’ll believe your expert is correct. So far they are all astounded that my wife and I have to have separate accounts.[/quote]

davidd

Scott

I wanted to supply an update to help answer any questions.

my wife just renewed her Carnet.. part of the changes was now she will have to renew every year as well as supply proof of union.

I still pay 21.000 per month which covers myself my wife and 3 kids. which is voluntary insurance

seems like deployment of these new rules differ where you go.

BTW this is one perk I totally take advantage of since I get screwed in other areas like this stupid S.A. tax. 🙂

There are 3 major perks regarding expenses here..

1.) The farmers market

2.) property taxes.. ( so far but this may change)

3.) caja

aside from this.. the overall perks are slowly going away in my opinion with the rising costs here.

I call this value cost averaging..

Doug Ward

It’s better to keep it simple.
    It’s a culture that doesn’t know how to knock on a door or what their neighbors real name is.You expect an organized Caja ? They don’t even know how to take blood pressure.
    I once asked a guy”why no knocking ?”
    Only OIJ does that ! ( before they shatter the door).
    Same with names : : Jose Ramirez Sanchez Diaz Gonzales ? ” No conoce.
    Turns out to be his brother in law of 30 years. “Cola de cascabel”.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.