Cash in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Cash in Costa Rica

Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    sueandchris

That was a terrific post and thanks so much for sharing your travails AND successes. This forum has been our guidebook for nearly everything we have accomplished in preparation for our move this year. I found the site about four years ago and have carefully read the posts AND followed the advice.

As a result, we have an excellent real estate attorney, a great piece of land (because I paid attention to the necessary “contingencies”) and a good immigration attorney.

I am very intrigued by your experience with your “adopted” Costa Rican family and find it great that you are a real part of your neighborhood. I HOPE I can develop a good well of patience and just accept and adapt to the new cultural requirements.

THX!

waggoner41

[quote=”sueandchris”]I HOPE I can develop a good well of patience and just accept and adapt to the new cultural requirements.

THX![/quote]
    I doubt that there is anyone here who has not made mistakes in their move and initial year or two here. I made more than my share.

I got mixed up with a “broker” who was not quite crooked but severely bent. The initial attorneys came at his recommendation when I still trusted him. The attorneys were not interested in protecting my interests when they wrote the contract and gave me no advice. The seller tried for 3 months to get me to close on the property with a lien against it and was angry when I would not resulting in her actions.

The one person in the transaction who turned out to be the most help to us, believe it or not, was the agent who represented the seller.

You are preparing yourself much more than I did but I have no doubt that you will have problems with aspects of your move that you did not and could not have prepared for. They will not be as large as what we went through

The keys for us were getting good advice from this forum and our friendship with the Tico family. I am still surprised by Ticos who I don’t know greeting me by name. I have found the vast majority of Ticos to be friendly, helpful and caring. It is the few who look on Americans as an unlimited source of wealth that we are now capable of avoiding doing business with. The neighbors are a source of who is best at doing what locally and if there is anything to be negotiated Marcos or Hannia is always involved.

Have your attorney provide you with a copy of the current wage structure here. That will help you greatly.

rfalves

[quote=”davek”]Waggoner,
    Can you tell me if there is a limit on the amount you can withdraw from ATM’s and how they work? I assume I enter how much I want in American and then it asks me if I want dollars or colones?? Is it still 550 Colones to $1.00 US. I don’t think I will be as lucky as you have been with the fees so I don’t want to have to pay a bunch of fees if I can only take out $200.00 worth of currency each time. That is the usual limit where I am from.[/quote]
    Hi, As of yesterday the colon exchange was 537. and I take about $500 out each time form the Banco Costa Rica, and the only fee is what my credit union in the states charges my $1. Now I get my SS direct deposited here in Costa Rica and the bank charges $6 per month and I use the ATMs at BCR without fees. I have also been able to take out at least $600 at a time, I do not know if I can get more at one time, I never needed more then that at one time. Ron USCG Ret

cheryl4313

I’ve seen a couple of comments that indicate VISA is more acceptable than MASTERCARD. Can anyone tell me why? And, will I have difficulty with an ATM under the MASTERCARD logo?

jdocop

Not necessarily more acceptable, but perhaps more common. If you find a Mastercard logo, then obviously you should have no problem using such.

maravilla

i use both and have never had a problem.

waggoner41

[quote=”cheryl4313″]I’ve seen a couple of comments that indicate VISA is more acceptable than MASTERCARD. Can anyone tell me why? And, will I have difficulty with an ATM under the MASTERCARD logo?[/quote]

My debit card is a MasterCard and I have never had a problem using it in the ATM’s here. The bigger problem in Ciudad Colon is whether the local bank will dispense what I need. Sometimes I have to make multiple transactions.

Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.