Cash in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Cash in Costa Rica

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    davek

My wife and I are coming to Costa Rica for two weeks in March from the USA. Any recomendations on what to do about money? Should I rely on using my debit card or should I use American dollars or exchange American for Colones. I thank goodness I went on a website to see what the exchange rate was between dollars and colones and there was a note about not bringing $100.00 bills to Costa Rica because no one, not even banks will accept them. I would have been screwed if I had not went on this site. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Can’t wait to get there.

2bncr

$100 are accepted at banks. The locals don’t want them because if they were phoney they would lose too much and they may not have enough money to change them.

Bring some small bills to use when you get here. Capital One Credit Card does not charge you the 3 – 5 % that other cards do. They have no overseas transaction fees.

Charles Scwab Bank allows you to use your debit card to take money out of any ATM world wide and they not only do not charge a transaction fee, they actually pay the fee the owner of the ATM charges the user! WOW baby. What’s in your wallet Charlie?

I use ATM all the time now and keep a couple hunderd on me.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Whatever US dollars you bring here must be in tip top condition, the banks don’t like any marks on them, no tears at all…

The Costa Rica colones bank notes sometimes look like they’ve been through the washing machine a few times but the US dollars MUST be in top condition or they will not accept them …

Scott

DavidCMurray
    Participant

My recommendation would be always deal in the local currency, the colon. You’ll always get the right exchange rate and some places will give you a discount for cash.

If your ATM/debit card has the Plus or Cirrus logo on the back, it’ll work in any Costa Rican ATM and they’re everywhere. The private banks’ ATMS, at least, have English-language interfaces.

Be sure to tell your bank that you’ll be traveling in Costa Rica so you don’t get tangled up in their security systems. And, if possible, bring cards from two accounts just in case you lose a card, the ATM eats it, etc.

Don’t deal with the money exchanges in the U.S. or Costa Rican airports. They’ll prey on your ignorance and give you a terrible exchange rate. On the upper (departures) level at Juan Santamaria in San Jose there’s an ATM where you can get all the colones you need. It’ll feel like you’re right at home.

Too, by using the local ATMs, you avoid having to carry around a big wad of money.

And finally, don’t bring traveler’s checks. They take forever to clear, so banks and merchants may be reluctant to take them.

jdocop

post removed so as not to offend any forum members.

maravilla

you’ll need dollars to tip the airport guys. i always bring 25 – $1.00 bills with me for tipping purposes until i get colones.

jdocop

maravilla

you don’t tip??? shame on you! it’s costa rica! i always come down with so much stuff that i need a guy to get a flatbed cart. that’s $2.00 to get me through the baggage claim and customs. then there’s the guy who offloads my dog (the one time he went in cargo). $2.00. then the baggage gets transferred to someone else. $2.00. then someone else wheels it to the car in the parking lot. $2.00. there you go. $8-10 bucks just to get out of the airport. when i used to take a taxi to the b and b in alajuela, i paid him in dollars ($3.00), but then he had to take everything out of the car — $2.00 — ka-ching, ka-ching.

jdocop

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Well, I tip everyone who does me a service, but I always pay in colones. They’re the coin of the realm, why would you not tip in them?

davek

All,
    Thanks for all of the advice. It sounds like I should basically bring a little cash and then rely on my debit card. Can anyone advise what the fees are to use ATM’s there? Also would I be better off just going to a bank and using it there? Is it still 550 Colones per 1 US dollar?
    Thanks again
    Dave

maravilla

unless you have colones from a previous trip, most people land in costa rica with NO colones, including me. so tipping airport personnel in $1.00 bills works just fine.

sbw1977
    Participant

We always get foreign currency from our bank(Chase) before we travel out of the country, whether it be to CR or else where. Chase doesn’t charge a fee and we have our exchange within a few days. They also take back any bills we have left when we return(although that usually isn’t an issue).

costaricafinca
    Participant

As long as you don’t ‘have on your person’ [i]all[/i] the funds you will need while here.

*Lotus

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]My recommendation would be always deal in the local currency, the colon. You’ll always get the right exchange rate and some places will give you a discount for cash.

If your ATM/debit card has the Plus or Cirrus logo on the back, it’ll work in any Costa Rican ATM and they’re everywhere. The private banks’ ATMS, at least, have English-language interfaces.

Be sure to tell your bank that you’ll be traveling in Costa Rica so you don’t get tangled up in their security systems. And, if possible, bring cards from two accounts just in case you lose a card, the ATM eats it, etc.

Don’t deal with the money exchanges in the U.S. or Costa Rican airports. They’ll prey on your ignorance and give you a terrible exchange rate. On the upper (departures) level at Juan Santamaria in San Jose there’s an ATM where you can get all the colones you need. It’ll feel like you’re right at home.

Too, by using the local ATMs, you avoid having to carry around a big wad of money.

And finally, don’t bring traveler’s checks. They take forever to clear, so banks and merchants may be reluctant to take them.[/quote]

There is also an atm on the lower level(arrivals) near the exchange kiosk and liquor store of the airport.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.