Canadian pensionado criminal record check

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Canadian pensionado criminal record check

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    paula1

Hi,
    We are in the midst of applying for pensionado residency. Apparently one of the requirements is a “Certificate of Good Conduct”, supposedly available from the RCMP. We understand that it is a yellow form, about a half a page long. Does anyone have experience with this form, or know the form number? We have contacted the RCMP by email and by phone, they don’t have a clue about this form.

Muchias Gracias
    Paula

costaricafinca
    Participant

It depends on where you live, whether you apply to either the RCMP or the local municipal police . Request a ‘Certificate of Good Conduct’, Certification of Criminal History Record Information or a Criminal History Check’ but don’t ask for this specific ‘…yellow form, about a half a page long’. The document issued by the Police Department/RCMP in your city confirms that you have no criminal record in the current county of your residence.
    It must be [i]less than 6 month old[/i] when you apply for residency.

paula1

Thanks so much,I think I understand now. The RCMP do act as local police in parts of Canada. Where we live in Ontario, we have our own local police force. I will approach them.

Thanks again
    Paula

costaricafinca
    Participant

Where we lived in BC,they had both in one small town!

happygirl

[quote=”paula1″]Thanks so much,I think I understand now. The RCMP do act as local police in parts of Canada. Where we live in Ontario, we have our own local police force. I will approach them.

Thanks again
    Paula[/quote]

Where I lived in Ontario (Holland Landing) we had to travel to Barrie to Commissionaires who do all this for the RCMP. They have offices all over Ontario and you will have to make a trip to one of them.

mr.di

If you live in Toronto or any other larger centres, your local police station will do it for approx $40 (only $20 in durham region). i suggest starting with your local police station/department.
    joe

happygirl

[quote=”mr.di”]If you live in Toronto or any other larger centres, your local police station will do it for approx $40 (only $20 in durham region). i suggest starting with your local police station/department.
    joe[/quote]

Well, we have RCMP headquarters in Newmarket, I went there to get mine done and they sent me to Commissioners. Told me they no longer do it.

happygirl

Maybe with the new immigration laws, local police checks will be accepted. I know when I had mine done it had to be RCMP. As in the United States it has to be FBI. I will be very interested to know if this is the case now.

rupi

HI PAULA
    I think it is the RCMP for this,checked with YRP.I live in woodbridge.

fincatenorio

It may be different for our good neighbors north of the border. But we were told our background check from the police in the US also needs to be [b]notorized[/b]. Unless you already have you might wnat to check into this. Our first one wasn’t and now we are having to go through the process of obtaining the same background check only this time being notorized. What a PITA, that’s not a piece of bread either, this has been.

happygirl

Yes, it does have to be notorized, and then it has to be sent to be authenticated to the minstry of immigration (I think). There is a department of the Ontario government that does this,however,they do have a fee but the documents are returned in a couple of days. I’m sorry I can’t give you more information but I am sure you can do a Google search for the correct department. Make sure this is the last thing you do, or your 6 months will run out before you have all your other documents gathered together. Everything has to be authenticated or they will return it to you.

montego082

You have to attend in person at your local RCMP office and ask for a criminal record check. It usually takes half an hour to get it done.

[quote=”paula1″]Hi,
    We are in the midst of applying for pensionado residency. Apparently one of the requirements is a “Certificate of Good Conduct”, supposedly available from the RCMP. We understand that it is a yellow form, about a half a page long. Does anyone have experience with this form, or know the form number? We have contacted the RCMP by email and by phone, they don’t have a clue about this form.

Muchias Gracias
    Paula[/quote]

happygirl

[quote=”happygirl”]Yes, it does have to be notorized, and then it has to be sent to be authenticated to the minstry of immigration (I think). There is a department of the Ontario government that does this,however,they do have a fee but the documents are returned in a couple of days. I’m sorry I can’t give you more information but I am sure you can do a Google search for the correct department. Make sure this is the last thing you do, or your 6 months will run out before you have all your other documents gathered together. Everything has to be authenticated or they will return it to you.[/quote]

Authentication and Service of Documents Section,
    Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada,
    125 Sussex Drive,
    Ottawa, Ontario
    K1A 0G2

Paula,this is the address that your documents have to go to to be authenticated, before submitting to the Costa Rica consul

ddilnot

Hi Paula,

I live in Toronto and am just in the process of applying for residence in CR. I called my local police station re the “certificate of good standing” and was given the name of a company, International Fingerprinting Services. I didn’t have to be fingerprinted but they filled out the appropriate forms for the RCMP and sent them to the local detachment ($35.00). I then when back to IFS a few days later and picked up the yellow half-page form. I then sent it to Foreign Affairs Canada for authentication and they sent it to the Costa Rica Embassy in Ottawa for their stamp of approval. Hope this is helpful.

[quote=”paula1″]Hi,

Muchias Gracias
    Paula[/quote]

happygirl

[quote=”ddilnot”]Hi Paula,

I live in Toronto and am just in the process of applying for residence in CR. I called my local police station re the “certificate of good standing” and was given the name of a company, International Fingerprinting Services. I didn’t have to be fingerprinted but they filled out the appropriate forms for the RCMP and sent them to the local detachment ($35.00). I then when back to IFS a few days later and picked up the yellow half-page form. I then sent it to Foreign Affairs Canada for authentication and they sent it to the Costa Rica Embassy in Ottawa for their stamp of approval. Hope this is helpful.

[quote=”paula1″]Hi,

Muchias Gracias
    Paula[/quote][/quote]

I hope this works out for you. I had to get my documents notarized first, then sent to foreign affairs. I received them back and then had to send to Costa Rican consul in Ottawa.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.