CAJA fees have risen!

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum CAJA fees have risen!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”costaricafinca”]Unfortunately, it is a disability pension and the couple have already determined that they will [i]only[/i] use private facilities. I do know of another man, an American who was quoted a similar amount for himself, wife and child.
    Another Canadian is paying over $350, applying 6 years ago, under the Investor status but it does [u]not[/u] include coverage for his longtime ‘common law wife’, as her (Rentista) Residency/CAJA fees are separate from his. Both are now Permanent residents but are trying to sell their remaining properties to return to Canada to get better access for cancer treatment that he can only get here, privately.

It is not a fair playing field.[/quote]

Yet another reason the rates CAJA are charging expats are a bit out of line. As in your example above… if faced with a life threatening (and subsequently expensive cost to the insurer) illness many folks will either go private or go back to their home country for treatment thus relieving CAJA of the major expenses.

costaricafinca
    Participant

The young man, does not require ongoing specific medical treatment, and his pension is a good one … one that we could only hope for.

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″][quote=”Imxploring”]if faced with a life threatening (and subsequently expensive cost to the insurer) illness many folks will either go private or go back to their home country for treatment thus relieving CAJA of the major expenses.[/quote]
    Are you saying CAJA should just assume that people will seek outside treatment and lower their assessments accordingly? And how would CAJA know that they were going to do that?

By that logic the $23,000 I’ve paid into Medicare (plus another $23,000 from my employers) is an outrageously unfair tax I’ve paid all my working life and it appears I have a bone to pick with Medicare.

Here’s an even worse “ripoff” – those same folks may never get seriously ill at all and succumb to sudden heart attacks, dead before they reach the hospital. Then what they paid into CAJA would be pure profit for CAJA. How dastardly is that?[/quote]

Steve I’m just pointing out that Costa Rica is getting a nice percentage of one’s income for the blessing of residency… while the likelihood is that should an American (or in this case a Canadian) become seriously ill (in this case cancer) they will likely seek treatmemt in a private hospital in CR or return to their home country where medical treatment is most likely better. This situation relieves CR of many major expenses in treating expats forced into the plan.

As I’ve said before as good as Costa Rica’s public medical services can be they are not on par with the private hospitals or medical services in the US or Canada.

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″]If you don’t like the price then don’t buy the product.[/quote]

So true Steve. Unfortunately CR is forcing folks that have to put all their eggs into one basket when relocating to CR to buy the product. Fortunately I don’t have to do so… but I empathize with those that will be forced to give up a good precentage of their retirement income for CAJA.

Imxploring
    Participant

The point is Steve that folks (including yourself) that have dreams of relocating to Costa Rica and HAVE to “place all there eggs in one basket” and must apply for residency because they can’t or won’t be able to leave the country every 90 days (it gets expensive and tiresome) should be well aware of the REQUIRED cost and possible future cost increases of CAJA.

Since many folks seeking to live in CR are doing so because of the lower cost of living (all relative and based on lifestyle… but there are numerous websites, books, articles, and tour operators that promote the advantages of the lower cost of living in CR) many do not have the resources to maintain a stateside residence, or to travel in and out of CR as required for non residents. That makes this issue important… perhaps not to me but the folks viewing this website.

They should also keep in mind the possible need to seek better treatment outside the public plan (Private in CR or returning to their home country) should they face a serious health issue. It comes down to, as is often the case in life, money!

Those that think they’ll just sell their house in Costa Rica and move back to the US or Canada should they be hit with such an unfortunate event may very well be in for a rude shock!

pixframe
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″][quote=”Imxploring”]CR is forcing folks..[/quote]
    Nonsense, CR isn’t forcing anyone to do anything. You don’t HAVE to apply for residency, as your own future plans prove.
    [quote=”Imxploring”]Fortunately I don’t have to do so.[/quote]
    …And neither does anyone else.[/quote]

There ARE people who HAVE pulled up their roots … HAVE relocated to Costa Rica … HAVE their residency … and having no other choice, ARE being forced to pay this new higher CAJA rate.

pixframe
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″][quote=”pixframe”]There ARE people who HAVE pulled up their roots … HAVE relocated to Costa Rica … HAVE their residency … and having no other choice, ARE being forced to pay this new higher CAJA rate.[/quote]
    “HAVE relocated to Costa Rica” – which they did for various reasons, no doubt, but one of them would probably be a cheaper cost of living. And if that cost differential is no longer to their advantage, they can relocate again. No one is forced to live in Costa Rica.

You both seem to think that moving to Costa Rica is a voluntary thing but that continuing to live there isn’t. That’s just silly. Why do you keep insisting they have no other choice?

There have been many previous comments posted here about the percentage of expats who move back to their previous country of origin. I guess they didn’t get the memo that they were forced to remain there. LOL

Now it is certainly true that anyone who does contemplate moving there should be prepared to pay higher CAJA costs in coming years – as I am certainly planning for. But I strongly doubt that anyone who moved to Costa Rica was naive enough to believe that whatever their cost of living was on moving there was somehow guaranteed never to rise.[/quote]

I can speak only for myself (and not for anyone else on this board). My post was in regards to a specific group of people who can’t afford to uproot themselves again due to their limited finances (which brought them to Costa Rica in the first place).

You surprise me, Sweik! Being such a defender of the “less fortunate” in the USA, I’d expect you to be sympathetic to this group of expats instead of wearing a Scrooge-like blind eye to their predicament.

pixframe
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″][quote=”pixframe”]I’d expect you to be sympathetic to this group of expats instead of wearing a Scrooge-like blind eye to their predicament.[/quote]
    On the contrary, I am very sympathetic to their plight – which is precisely why I have said on many occasions that I have no problem paying higher CAJA assessments if it means that those with less means pay less. It is also why I posted the report showing that the CR population over 65 is about to rise dramatically and that healthcare costs in CR (and therefore CAJA assessments) are certain to rise. Therefore anyone whose budget is already stretched thin better think long and hard before relocating to CR.

You, on the other hand, have said repeatedly that you don’t think you should have to shoulder a higher burden because you have saved and invested wisely and that others who didn’t should be prepared to face the consequences of their lack of planning.[/quote]

This is not about YOU and the higher CAJA rate you’re prepared to pay! I’m speaking of a group that is being forced to pay a higher rate who can’t afford to pay a higher rate (regardless of how high a rate you pay) and also can’t afford to move.

Yes, it’s true I don’t believe I should shoulder the burden. And, yes, I do believe there are consequences of poor planning and/or lack of planning but I do acknowledge the plight of this group where you don’t even comprehend it.

pixframe
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″][quote=”pixframe”]I do acknowledge the plight of this group where you don’t even comprehend it.[/quote]
    And your response to them is “You made your choices, now live with their consequence and don’t expect any help from me”.
    [/quote]

Let me say it again. Regardless of how high a CAJA fee you’re willing to pay, this group of expats is still in a bind being FORCED to pay an increased rate (regardless of how small their increase).

Have a good Sunday, Sweik.

Imxploring
    Participant

Steve… one of the main purposes of this site is to exchange information and provide assistance and information to folks interested in visiting, investing, and relocating to Costa Rica. You’re right…. none of us are “forced” to relocate to CR. But at the same time people reading this forum should be WELL AWARE of the issues and costs that they will be faced with should they make that move. Some (costs) that are REQUIRED as part of the deal in being allowed to stay legally in CR.

The fact is that because many people look at CR as not only a beautiful and peaceful place but as one with a lower cost of living this becomes an important issue they should be fully aware of before making an informed decision.

This factor will only become more acute in the future as baby boomers retire and don’t have the resources to live comfortably in the US.

waggoner41

[quote=”Imxploring”] Yet another reason the rates CAJA are charging expats are a bit out of line. As in your example above… if faced with a life threatening (and subsequently expensive cost to the insurer) illness many folks will either go private or go back to their home country for treatment thus relieving CAJA of the major expenses.[/quote]

What constitutes a “life threatening illness”?
    My wife has been treated for cancer twice. The first time was immediately after joining CAJA and the second 3 years later.
    Cancer doesn’t appear to be on the list of “life threatening illnesses”.

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”waggoner41″][quote=”Imxploring”] Yet another reason the rates CAJA are charging expats are a bit out of line. As in your example above… if faced with a life threatening (and subsequently expensive cost to the insurer) illness many folks will either go private or go back to their home country for treatment thus relieving CAJA of the major expenses.[/quote]

What constitutes a “life threatening illness”?
    My wife has been treated for cancer twice. The first time was immediately after joining CAJA and the second 3 years later.
    Cancer doesn’t appear to be on the list of “life threatening illnesses”.[/quote]

Glad she’s doing well Les… but unfortunately many cancers are among the leading causes of death worldwide and are also the illnesses who’s treatment result in the highest medical costs. Having lost family to cancer I can confirm both those facts.

costaricafinca
    Participant

[b]Sweikert[/b], wait until you have to pay another increased CAJA fee… though at this point in time you probably have never entered a CAJA facility… and you think you wont object to paying more, and then find the medical procedure you [u]need[/u] is not available to you for 2-3 years, so chances are you will opt to pay for private care.

Maybe there is a surgery they can perform to remove some of your outlandish ideas…:roll:

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”costaricafinca”]Wait until you have to pay another increased CAJA fee… though at this point in time you probably have never entered a CAJA facility… and you think you wont object to paying more, and then find the medical procedure you [u]need[/u] is not available to you for 2-3 years, so chances are you will opt to pay for private care.

Maybe there is a surgery they can perform to remove some of your outlandish ideas…:roll:[/quote]

Costaricafinca…. I hope that wasn’t directed at me. I’ve been in CAJA facilities… and as good as the basic care is it is no match to the private system or care in the US. I agree with you that the new requirements and rates that new applicants are being asked to pay are far out of line for the services provided. The rate increases that folks that got in under the old rates are also quite troublesome.

Time will tell how this works out. I found a recent comment attributed to an official in CR quite enlightened… the idea that they (CR government officials) found tourist much more desirable than foreign residents (expats)…. for all the obvious reasons….. income versus expenses! At least we know there’s ONE honest politician in Pura Vida land!

costaricafinca
    Participant

[b]Imxploring,[/b] sorry, it wasn’t directed at you …. and I will ‘fix it’.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 118 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.