CAJA fees have risen!

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum CAJA fees have risen!

Viewing 13 posts - 106 through 118 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    costaricafinca
    Participant

I have an ‘online acquaintance’ with some Canadians who just this past week, applied for Investor Residency based on the purchase of a house….and who by now, must be very concerned.

wash_me

This would stop me from moving to CR, no way I would pay $442 for so so healthcare. I pay half that with Obmama care.

“Rentistas who must show a monthly income of $2,500 will be charged $252 for those over 55 and $442 for those under 55.”

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”wash_me”]This would stop me from moving to CR, no way I would pay $442 for so so healthcare. I pay half that with Obmama care.

“Rentistas who must show a monthly income of $2,500 will be charged $252 for those over 55 and $442 for those under 55.”[/quote]

Can’t say I’d blame you. Still wondering what folks in the “investor” category are getting hit with. Seems it’s even MORE! Has me slowing down on an investment in CR…. wonder if they realize, or for that matter care, what effect this will have on the economy. At this point the government in CR is in the same boat as every other one out there…. desperate for any cash flow they can get TODAY…. no matter what negative impact it has on people or the future!

costaricafinca
    Participant

Of course one could still invest in CR but apply as a [i]Rentista,[/i]or [i]Pensionado[/i] if you are in receipt of a pension, as Investor really doesn’t offer any better benefits. Plus, applying as a business investor, rather than purchasing a house, is full of complications and red tape.

wash_me

Anyone know if $442 is per person?

“Rentistas who must show a monthly income of $2,500 will be charged $252 for those over 55 and $442 for those under 55.”

costaricafinca
    Participant

All the rates specified are for the primary applicant with or without dependents.

costaricafinca
    Participant

[quote=”Scott”]According to Randall Zamora our resident Costa Rica Tax Expert

“The official percentages applied to the reported monthly income go from 10.5% to 18.5%, so in order to reach a $1000 monthly CAJA payment the reported monthly income should be between $5405 to $9523.”

Scott[/quote]

Last night we met with a ‘friend of a friend’ who told us that the percentage used to calculate his CAJA premiums, was 19%. We already knew that his declared, single pension was high…

costaricafinca
    Participant

He applied as a Pensionado.

playayoga

Just got off of the phone with ARCR, who I pay my CAJA through for two years now.
    I have my residency under “invesionista” and my payments have been just north of $120 per month.
    They are now requiring me to pay $694 per month.
    I have my property and home used as my “investment” rather then any type of business.
    This new amount is not tied in anyway to my income, as there were zero questions to me about my income.
    They(ARCR) asked me to sign a form giving them (ARCR) permission to remove me from CAJA payment, as they are planning to bring a “law suit” on our behalf, and I assume that this will be intended to be a sort of protest.
    When asked how long they expected this action to take, they said they did not know as they are just now getting started.
    My renewal meeting with immigration is next month, and so I am of course caught between a rock and well…another rock.
    Freaken rocks!
    I have an email into my attorney, and am awaiting any type of advice.
    At this point it looks like either paying $694 per month ( not happening) or giving up my hard won residency, which of course I hate to even think of doing.
    I’m hoping that there is anther option.
    I plan to go down to our local CAJA office and see what they have to offer…I’ll bring a good book and a positive attitude, and see what happens.
    Anyone out there a step ahead of me with some good advice?

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”playayoga”]Just got off of the phone with ARCR, who I pay my CAJA through for two years now.
    I have my residency under “invesionista” and my payments have been just north of $120 per month.
    They are now requiring me to pay $694 per month.
    I have my property and home used as my “investment” rather then any type of business.
    This new amount is not tied in anyway to my income, as there were zero questions to me about my income.
    They(ARCR) asked me to sign a form giving them (ARCR) permission to remove me from CAJA payment, as they are planning to bring a “law suit” on our behalf, and I assume that this will be intended to be a sort of protest.
    When asked how long they expected this action to take, they said they did not know as they are just now getting started.
    My renewal meeting with immigration is next month, and so I am of course caught between a rock and well…another rock.
    Freaken rocks!
    I have an email into my attorney, and am awaiting any type of advice.
    At this point it looks like either paying $694 per month ( not happening) or giving up my hard won residency, which of course I hate to even think of doing.
    I’m hoping that there is anther option.
    I plan to go down to our local CAJA office and see what they have to offer…I’ll bring a good book and a positive attitude, and see what happens.
    Anyone out there a step ahead of me with some good advice?[/quote]

WOW! They must figure your money tree back in the states is in full bloom! I’m so sorry to hear about the COMPLETELY unreasonable increase in your CAJA payments… I guess that’s why ARCR had folks contacting them personally rather than putting the information out in that letter! This increase will cause a panic if it’s upheld and widespread!

Follow their advice and join the action. The ARCR will make a clear and more effective argument to the unreasonable nature of this increase! At this point I don’t see paying the increase as an option. But dropping your residency will no doubt put you on their (CR immigration) radar if you go the PT route at this point. You might be red flagged. Do you have the ability to convert your residency (new application) to another status?

Please follow up with updates as this issue is important to many of us!

This situation might very well be an unanticipated result of Obamacare being implemented in the US…. in addition to the poor financial condition of the CAJA… what do you think Steve?

Best of luck in this matter!!!

playayoga

Unfortunately I cannot “follow their advice and join the act action” as well as renew my cedula, which is up for renewal right now.
    Again, between a rock and another rock.
    If I could hold off for X months while this action takes place that would be one thing, but I cannot do that and renew my cedula…..I’m really hoping that by putting this out there, with you all, that an “option C” comes about.
    We’ll see.
    Looks like I’ll be headed down to CAJA, batting my eyelashes with a big smile to see if I can stay my execution for a while as I see where this all goes………monkeys and waterfalls, monkeys and waterfalls, monkeys and water…….

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”playayoga”]Unfortunately I cannot “follow their advice and join the act action” as well as renew my cedula, which is up for renewal right now.
    Again, between a rock and another rock.
    If I could hold off for X months while this action takes place that would be one thing, but I cannot do that and renew my cedula…..I’m really hoping that by putting this out there, with you all, that an “option C” comes about.
    We’ll see.
    Looks like I’ll be headed down to CAJA, batting my eyelashes with a big smile to see if I can stay my execution for a while as I see where this all goes………monkeys and waterfalls, monkeys and waterfalls, monkeys and water…….[/quote]

It seems withdrawing from CAJA and going the PT route for now (if necessary) is the only option then. If ARCR and COMMON SENSE win out and they correct this situation you can reapply perhaps at a more reasonable rate. BUT BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING…. contact a GOOD immigration lawyer and explore any other options you might have. Perhaps you can claim a medical headship and return to the states and suspend your CAJA participation for a while until this situation is sorted out. There has to be another answer than simply being held HOSTAGE by the folks in CR with these new rates!

Perhaps you could stand by the arrival area at the airport with a big sign advising tourist how the government in CR is SCREWING expats? That might make local and international news and force their hand a bit…. they don’t like negative news that impacts tourism, travel, and foreign investment! Money talks… negative news hurts their image.

Or start writing letters to the editor of A.M. Costa Rica, the Tico Times, Inside Costa Rica, International Living, and any other publication that reports and highlights travel to, or relocation to CR…and tell them the REAL deal with how folks will be treated like nothing more than a cash cow to be milked by the good folks running CR! Get angry.. and get moving… you have $694 reasons to get motivated next month!!!

costaricafinca
    Participant

[b]Playayoga[/b]…this is ridiculous!
    Hope you go direct to CAJA and can negotiate or get a lower price?
    Definately contact Tico Times, AMcostarica, qcostarica and explain your position
    Good luck.

Viewing 13 posts - 106 through 118 (of 118 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.