Bringing in a TV

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Bringing in a TV

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    costaricabill
    Participant

quote=”sprite”]I think if I were strapped to a chair with my eye lids taped open and forced to watch streaming video, I would prefer a Spanish novela over a any sports game. I never understood the fascination with watching males play with balls…..[/quote]

oops sorry!
    Sprite The Heathen – please, just let me be the one to strap you in and tape your eyelids open – I promise to put the TV on a “fair & balanced” program for you to watch, and thanks again for supporting the young men & women that make up our military through your tax dollars.

At the risk of agreeing with you, I agree that we should not have our military in 172 countries around the world, nor do I think we should be supporting all of those countries with foreign aid. We could solve many, many domestic problems with those $$. We could even build a fence along the southern border and help stop the illegal immigration problem, but we would have to put a gate in it to return those that are caught – would that make the entire US a “gated community”.

Of course from your earlier epistles I am confident that you prefer an open door policy!

sprite

It all makes sense if your intention with a gated community is to create country within a country. And THAT is my point.thanks for helping me make it.

ticorealtor

Well, we have found out like most of the expats that if you want a TV the best option is to send it down. My wife and I have gone round and round on this issue and looked everywhere including Hipo! We are going to send a 47 inch LCD from the states via UPS and Jet box. We bought the TV a year ago for $750 a floor model. It will cost about 150.00 to ship economy. With the exemption for the taxes that will make the big difference. If I bought the TV in country it would be $2,000.

Most Ticos have found out about mailing company’s and with the twice a year exemption that is the way to go.

grb1063

Now that’s an angle I did not know about TICOREALTOR. Most of us want something in the 50″-60″ range for the main home screen where real futbol can be viewed (not NFL…go playoff bound Sounders!) that can double as a monitor. Print that large will come in handy later in life and it is so convenient with everything wireless these days.
    hulu.com is a great sight if you missed you favorite show.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

If you’re thinking about bringing in a large screen TV or similarly large item, it might be worth your time to contact Arden Brink (arden@shipcostarica.com) to get a price quote. She can give you a fixed price to bring your item from Clearwater, Florida to your home in Costa Rica. That price will include all Customs duty and sales tax.

The semi-annual exemption from Customs duty is a little more complicated than many folks think. First, [u]it applies only to one item[/u]. You cannot bring in (say) two items each worth (say) $200 and get the exemption on the second one — not in the same six-month period, that is.

Furthermore, the exemption is only available on items with a combined value + insurance + freight of $500.00 [u]or less[/u]. That is, you don’t get the exemption on the [u]first $500[/u] of (say) a $600 item. If the combined value is over $500, you get no exemption whatsoever.

And finally, whether you get the exemption from Customs duty or not, your item is still subject to the national 13% sales tax.

All that said, it still may be a better deal to purchase in the U.S. and bring your big ticket item in. And Arden Brink can eliminate all the guesswork.

wspeed1195

every time I’ve passed through the airport theirs someone with a big screen50-60″.

tomstew1

[quote=”stevetx5″]The TVs I have purchased in Costa Rica have not been at all reliable. Once is still waiting for parts after nearly 2 years! Also they appear to be considerably cheaper in the US

So I am now considering bringing one with me from the US next month. Has anybody had any experience doing this? Any problems going through Customs? It would be small enough to conform to airline regulations (weight & size)[/quote]

Stevetx5:
    I’m in Houston and flying to sjo on contintental you can bring up to a 42″…just leave in original box and check it as baggage…cost’s approx $50.

Where do all of these worthless comments come from? Who gives a crap whether you like to read or not? Pls carry on reading and stop posting your worthless comments.

The damn question was does any of us have any experience bringing a TV from the US.

ticorealtor

I understand from the agents at Jetbox is that if it is a used tv, like ours all you need to do is have a letter written up stating what the value is. Don’t go crzy and say its 100 dollars then it won’t pass customs.

I like to use jet box because they will give you a quote on anything that you are thinking about buying.

The six month is really pretty easy because if you buy a bunch of stuff on Amazon and it is shipped in one box with the total value that is below the 500 you can write the taxes off.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.