Bringing in a TV

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Bringing in a TV

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    stevetx5
    Participant

The TVs I have purchased in Costa Rica have not been at all reliable. Once is still waiting for parts after nearly 2 years! Also they appear to be considerably cheaper in the US

So I am now considering bringing one with me from the US next month. Has anybody had any experience doing this? Any problems going through Customs? It would be small enough to conform to airline regulations (weight & size)

craypalmer

over the past five years I have taken 7 or more flat 19 to 22 inch screen down. and yes they are almost half price here in the USA, I have a villa in Paraiso ,Orosí. I have a carry on that I put it in…Some time in customs they ask me about it and I tell them it for my PC.. However I sure u know that u can bring up to $500.00 worth of items in..

Andrew
    Keymaster

Give up TV and buy some good books!

I haven’t watched TV regularly since 1996

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

stevetx5
    Participant

[quote=”Scott”]Give up TV and buy some good books!

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com[/quote]

I couldn’t agree more…but just try and rent a property without a TV! And I have tried

sprite

You can find any movie, documentary or TV show on line with a computer.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Scott Oliver – Founder

Hmmm . . .

Well, I’ve just searched Amazon, Barnes and Noble, eBay and Borders. None of them has this afternoon’s Clemson-North Carolina game.

Larrythehat

[quote=”DavidCMurray”][quote=”Scott”]Give up TV and buy some good books!

Scott Oliver – Founder

Hmmm . . .

Well, I’ve just searched Amazon, Barnes and Noble, eBay and Borders. None of them has this afternoon’s Clemson-North Carolina game.[/quote]

You can find it here:http://atdhe.net/
    NC up 14-3 at halftime

costaricabill
    Participant

You can find it here:http://atdhe.net/
    NC up 14-3 at halftime[/quote]

Do you need to purchase the “premium package”?
    crb

Larrythehat

[quote=”costaricabill”]You can find it here:http://atdhe.net/
    NC up 14-3 at halftime[/quote]

Do you need to purchase the “premium package”?
    crb[/quote]

No, just go to the website and scroll down to the game you want.

costaricabill
    Participant

I downloaded the program and clicked on a channel – after about 30 seconds it stops streaming and a message comes on that says “We have exceeded our streaming capacity to your country – please purchase the premium package, click here” – or something to that effect.
    happened twice.

Jim S.

Scott Oliver – Founder

I agree with Scott. I’d much rather read a good book than watch most of the mindless drivel on TV. Besides that I’m married to a Tica and would have a serious marital crisis if I tried to change channels when she was watching her novelas.

One problem I’ve had, though, is that even though I’m fairly fluent in Spanish and can wade my way through Spanish language books, I really can’t do it for relaxation and finding a continuous supply of books in English has always been a challenge to me.

I finally broke down a few months ago and bought an Amazon Kindle ebook reader. What a wonderful, lifechanging experience it’s been for me. There’s so much great free material available in Kindle format on the internet that I’ve bought almost nothing so far. The prices have come down since I bought mine and the features have improved. You can now buy one for $139. I had mine shipped down through Aerocasillas and used my customs exemption. Total shipping and fees were around $25, but it took forever to clear customs. Much better to have someone bring one down, if possible. I highly recommend the Kindle to any serious reader.

Larrythehat

[quote=”costaricabill”]I downloaded the program and clicked on a channel – after about 30 seconds it stops streaming and a message comes on that says “We have exceeded our streaming capacity to your country – please purchase the premium package, click here” – or something to that effect.
    happened twice.[/quote]
    It must depend on the game you choose. I am watching Alabama-South Carolina and have not had any interruptions.

sprite

I think if I were strapped to a chair with my eye lids taped open and forced to watch streaming video, I would prefer a Spanish novela over a any sports game. I never understood the fascination with watching males play with balls…..

Larrythehat

[quote=”sprite”]I think if I were strapped to a chair with my eye lids taped open and forced to watch streaming video, I would prefer a Spanish novela over a any sports game. I never understood the fascination with watching males play with balls…..[/quote]
    Then don’t watch it.

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”larrythehat”][quote=”sprite”]I think if I were strapped to a chair with my eye lids taped open and forced to watch streaming video, I would prefer a Spanish novela over a any sports game. I never understood the fascination with watching males play with balls…..[/quote]
    Then don’t watch it.[/quote]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.