Airfares — cheaper now than in February

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Airfares — cheaper now than in February

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    maravilla

Effectively, I’m fleeing this place, too, for a simpler life away from all the negative propaganda, the crime, the weird drugs and the mayhem that goes with them, the constant push to buy this or that with money most people don’t have so they will fit in. What a vast conspiracy it was to indebt our nation, convince us to eat food that will ulitmately kill you, take all kinds of pharmaceutical drugs that have very little benefit except to make the shreholders rich, and to watch nothing but endless violence on TV. After a month in CR where I saw no newspaper, no TV, and only a glancing headline on my e-mail account when I checked in with Gringolandia, I felt so much better — calm, relaxed, no stress — and the minute I got home and watched Democracy Now! and saw some horror that the Goddess of Gloom was investigating, I had the immediate desire to get back on a plane and never come back. We want to be self-sufficent too so I am planning a huge garden and maybe some chickens — we’re not getting a TV except to watch DVDs. I’m going to unplug, chill out, and never look back!

wmaes47

BRAVO… Well said…

dkt2u

Maravella, think twice about the chickens. They are substantially a lot more trouble than people think for them to really produce eggs of any significance. That is unless you are considering raising them simply for the meat. In either case, eggs and chicken are two of the cheapest food products here. I might not be telling you anything you don’t already know, just making a suggestion.

maravilla

I know chickens stink! And are a lot of trouble. But having just a few of them is part of my plan to unplug! I want to be the Martha Stewart of Costa Rica — gathering my eggs in the morning (as I did at Angel Valley Farm on my last trip) and when they get too old to lay, hand them to my gardener who will take them away and bring them back all ready for the stewpot! Don’t disillusion me about the chickens. I’m getting them anyway (at least for a little while!)

steve80545

There are few things as entertaining as watching a bunch of chickens busily going about there daily ministrations. I want a burro to walk to town with me on market day. Gonna name him primo!

maravilla

My husband’s biggest fantasy is getting a miniature donkey and a miniature cow. Not that their available in CR, but his family had a farm in Italy so he’s used to all these animals. For me, it’s novelty and a way to get back to the very very basics and part of my self-sufficiency program in case the world falls apart.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hmmm! Now you’re getting us worried Maravilla 🙂

If he was Welsh, I’m assuming that he would want miniature sheep eh? 🙂

Can you buy lingerie for sheep and other farm animals?

Scott

maravilla

I’m Welsh, and yes, if I could get one, I’d love a miniature sheep. One of those black ones that graze on the hills and dales of West Glamorgan! If it’s small enough I could dress them all up in MY clothes — think Hanes would look good on a cow? What’s next — a miniature pig? You’ll come to visit me and I’ll have an entire pasture full of little tiny farm animals! Then they’ll take me away haha heehee hoho!

steve80545

With an entire pasture full of miniature animals, the tourists are going to flock to your farm to see. So, now we see through this discussion about the price of oil affecting the economy , how tourism in Costa Rica may be on the increase. A silver lining to every cloud.

maravilla

With the price of oil being what it is, I won’t be able to afford to fill up my gas tank AND feed full-size barnyard animals, so having a Franken-farm is the only way I can do it! I’ve already found a farm that sells miniature cows — they are 42″ high and weigh only 500 pounds and produce the same amount of milk as a full-sized bovine. They cost $1600 a piece and you can graze two to an acre. How much do you think I could charge as an entrance fee to see my freakish animals?

steve80545

I would have to suggest consulting the professionals at Paragon to determine a price of admission. Maybe you can get it it advance.

maravilla

So I should charge $35,000 for admission and if you don’t like my Franken Farm, I’ll give you your money back in 60 days?

senta

Maravilla, let me know if you need a PR man to drum up tourists for your mini animal farm – I need a job when I move down. The way you talk about a mini cow – are you really serious about it? I do have a mini Dachshund who can keep an eye on your mini animals in the night so no one will carry them away in a wheel barrel. I will loan him to you he is only 8 lbs but has a big mouth.

maravilla

I’ll need a job too; that’s why I’m thinking of an enterprise for which I can charge admission! As for the mini-cows, we’ve had a lot of banter about it with other neighbors. My immeidate neighbor has a half acre lot, so between the two of us, we could theoretically have those two vacas! Then I could milk them and make miniature cheeze. My dog is 20 pounds, half Dachshund and half Scottish terrier. Woe be to the person who tries to walk off with a cow, or sheep, or even a chicken! But he’s 12 now, so he likes to sleep through the night, so maybe we could put YOUR dog on the night shift and let mine take care of the daytime shift. LOL

*Lotus

I just checked the Taca site, I found two r/t tickets non stop from jfk/NYC for about$914 for both and that includes all taxes. Not to bad non stop from my area. All this talk of pricey tickets had me nervous!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.