Airfares — cheaper now than in February

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Airfares — cheaper now than in February

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    maravilla

I just booked a flight to CR from Denver, through Houston, on Continental. Total cost including taxes was $480.00 — $50 less than I paid in February for the exact same trip. Who knows what the costs will be in July when I have to come back again for more immigration stuff.

wmaes47

Mine for 6-16 July just cost me $590

maravilla

Oh no, Mr. Bill, that is NOT good news. I can only imagine what it will go up to by the time I get around to booking our flights for July what with oil at $70+ a barrel and no ceiling in sight.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I have mentioned the price of oil in the most recent article about the ‘plan’ for the new airport in the Southern zone.

Most experts will agree that the price of oil is only going to go higher and if the USA “intervenes” in Iraq with those “safe” nuclear weapons they talk about, then we’ll probably see $100 per barrell real soon.

I will start a new thread on this topic because I would love to get some feedback from our VIP Members

Scott

lipskm

People who were able to afford traveling to CR in the past will be able to afford it in the future. People with no moneydon’t travel. Higher oil prices in USA will bring prices up on everything and live in USA will become more expensive. Even with the prices going higher in CR the living will still be cheaper in CR and people will be moving from USA even faster.

*Lotus

I have to say although I think going to war with Iraq was a mistake; I thought oil prices would come down? You know the old saying “to the victor goes the spoils”? I never believed the weapons of mass destruction thing and just assumed they wanted control of the worlds 3rd largest reserve of oil. Never imagined oil prices would go up?

maravilla

There is NO “safe” nuclear weapon! What kind of propaganda are we being fed now? One of the reasons I’m moving to CR is that there is NO nuclear anything there. It’s not safe, never has been, never will be. Just ask all those people who live near Three Mile Island.

maravilla

Supply and demand they say is fueling (no pun intended) the gas price hikes. The CEO of Chevron got a $340,000,000 severance package and the oil companies have made record profits that have exceeded any heretofore corporate profits in the history of the world. The only thing driving this mess is greed. It’s a good thing that CEO doesn’t live in Italy or the Red Brigade would’ve gotten him by now. Maybe prices will go down when we get that Central Asian pipeline built.

Andrew
    Keymaster

You’re being very unreasonable Maravilla, you know as well as I do that the TONS of radioactive depleted uranium weapons (NUCLEAR weapons) released by the US in Iraq has a lifespan of only 4.5 Billion years so after that, it might be “safe.”

This is all part of the plan! The depopulation plan except it’s going to be a bit more widespread and slightly more long-term with it’s truly cataclysmic effect than any of them are anticipating.

Enough Scott or I will have to moderate myself! I hate moderating myself.

Scott

PS. http://www.greenpeace.org has a good article on there about the catastrophic and for the most part – unreported – increase in cancers around Chernobyl. Coming to a town near you soon!

maravilla

We’re being propagandized with government doublespeak when they say there are “safe” nukes. But after a 50 year Soviet-based campaign to dumb us all down, there are people who actually believe there is such a thing as a “safe” nuclear weapon, or a “safe” nuclear anything. The depleted uranium in Iraq (thanks to the US) will have far-reaching consequences for all of us — the soldiers coming home will have children with higher incidences of birth defects, cancer, neurological problems, etc. It will be a holocaust, brought to you by the spinmeisters, manipulators,and big business. Don’t get ME started or we’ll both have to be moderated!

steve80545

I wonder where the money from Iraq’s oil is going now? Someone is getting it. I, too, thought that “to the victor goes the spoils”, but it seems that we have to pay to reconstruct the country while someone is getting rich. What do ya think.

maravilla

How can you say “to the victor goes the spoils” when we destroyed Iraq from top to bottom, invaded without provocation based on lies and b.s. and now we are occupying their country while we plunge them into a ghastly civil war. Do you really think we are the “victors”? I’m confused. If they didn’t have any oil, we’d be somewhere else — maybe Venezuela. That’s next, I believe, because we are setting up shop in Uruguay, readying for whatever nefarious acts we may deem justifiable. Oil closed at another record high today — it can only get worse. I saw someone filling their Hummer at the pump next to me today — the pump was $120 and still climbing when I left. There is going to be a trickle-down effect to this mess, and it will eventually affect us all in Costa Rica, too.

steve80545

The “spoils” means oil. All the instigators of this war understood that the infrastructure in Iran would be destroyed and that civilians would be killed. Colateral damage. The point is oil. I know its wrong and its why I am disassociating myself from this country. Venzuela may very well be next, or Iran, but the point is still oil. And the more oil controlled the higher the prices will go. Its very sinister and the greed is so pervasive that any means can be justified. Even nuclear holocaust. I don’t think the means are at all new, just more blatant than ever before. Ok, end of rant

maravilla

You and I are on the same page. I know the “spoils” is oil but I think using this phrase in the context of our invastion of Iraq doesn’t quite fit, because we certainly aren’t the victors, but that’s really neither here nor there. I like some of the euphemisms we use such as “collateral damage” which really mean murder victims, but hey, what’s a few hundred thousand people when you are trying to control an oil field? I’m wondering now what will happen to the politics of Costa Rica if we were to invade Venezuela.

steve80545

My idea is to focus on what I want to do in Costa Rica, which is to live as self sufficiently as possible. These problems seem out of control and over my head. I want to concentrate on the “Pura Vida” attitude on life with the locals. These oil prices may affect the tourism industry, I don’t know, but I feel the locals will weather the storm peacefully. I might be wishing to hide my head in the sand so to speak, but these issues seem so evil and mean that I just want to expunge them from my day to day life. Can,t seem to do that here in the US, but maybe in CR. What do you think?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.