Active & inactive corporations

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Active & inactive corporations

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    charmey
    Participant

I just went on line to the Nacional Registro website to check how much is due for the 2015 Corporation Tax. We have always been an inactive company but now it shows as active with a tax due of 201,000.00 colones. Has anyone else had this happen to them again? I am wondering if maybe it is too early in the year for the website to be accurate.:( When is the payment due? Don’t mind paying the tax, but not for an active corporation when it is not.

lyncota
    Participant

We checked yesterday, and sure enough, we are once again being charged with the active corporation tax. Last year, our attorney filed papers to change our corporation from active back to inactive. Within a few weeks, we checked on line, and the correction had been made, we paid the inactive fee, end of story. Apparently not. We’ll be in CR in February and will see the attorney again, but perhaps there will be a resolution before then, as this was supposedly a computer error last year.

lyncota
    Participant

[quote=”charmey”]I just went on line to the Nacional Registro website to check how much is due for the 2015 Corporation Tax. We have always been an inactive company but now it shows as active with a tax due of 201,000.00 colones. Has anyone else had this happen to them again? I am wondering if maybe it is too early in the year for the website to be accurate.:( When is the payment due? Don’t mind paying the tax, but not for an active corporation when it is not.[/quote]
    charmey, I just checked again today, and we have been changed back to an inactive corporation for 2015, and the tax owed has also been adjusted. We did nothing, so it looks like whatever “bug’ was in the system has been rectified. I hope yours has been as well. Let me know, I’m curious. I will pay ours in February at BCR when we are in Cahuita.

charmey
    Participant

Lyncota,
    I just checked the status and ours too has been changed back to inactive as it should be. The total tax due has been reduced as well. It is slightly more that last year, but at least not double. I am not sure why this glitch appeared. I think last year the same thing happened. I guess I shouldn’t check until mid Jan. So glad yours was rectified too. We are in CR now so will be paying by the end of the month. Cheers
    ::)

Ballonfish

$202.00 paid for both inactive SRL’s we have. One holds land the other a townhouse. We use a reputable law firm that has been around for 75+ years in CR.

dbserv

What is the difference between “Active” and “Inactive” anyway??? Am thinking we have been also given wrong info. We don’t live in CR, but we own a home we travel to on a regular basis. We pay the corporation taxes yearly and last year’s was about 183.00 if I remember correctly. We also have another corporation that we do not use and were told by our lawyer that if we do not pay the taxes for three years, it becomes “Inactive” and we can no longer access it. Fine with us! So confusing! 😯

pebo1

So this begs the question. Should we keep the corporations?

Should we dissolve them as perhaps they aren’t worth the tax required annually as they are all inactive and in place for property and vehicles only.

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”pebo1″]So this begs the question. Should we keep the corporations?

Should we dissolve them as perhaps they aren’t worth the tax required annually as they are all inactive and in place for property and vehicles only.[/quote]

As I understand it:
    An “active” corporation is one that is “actively” involved in the ownership and or operation of an ongoing commercial business.

An “inactive” corporation is one that has ownership in an asset that is not a commercial endeavor – like a house, car, pleasure boat, property, etc.

If you have an “inactive” corporation that owns your property, or your home or car, etc. you want to keep the taxes current, because if you fail to pay the taxes for 3 years, the government MAY dissolve the corporation and seize any (all) assets held (owned) in the corporation’s name.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.