Living in Escazu, Costa Rica is not for everyone. If you are the pioneering type and already speak fluent Spanish then living in a more remote area of Costa Rica will not be too much of a challenge for you …
You should do your best to learn some Spanish, it will certainly enrich your life in more ways than you can imagine although many of the local Ticos (the Costa Rican people) in the stores and restaurants might not be 100% fluent in English, they will try hard to make you feel at home in your own language.
However a lot of people like to take things one step at a time which is one of the reasons why areas like Escazu and Santa Ana are so popular for so many expats including Gringos.
Some North Americans living in Costa Rica prefer to slide gradually into their new life abroad, into a new culture and take their time learning a new language and find that living in Escazu and Santa Ana is a great first step.
But for those pioneering types, here are the top reasons for living in places like Escazu and Santa Ana …
- If top quality healthcare is important to you and if you believe that you might need access to the best, most experienced medical professionals and the best hospitals in Central America then living in Escazu is right for you.Within 10 minutes you can be at Hospital CIMA in Escazu (which has the globally recognized Joint Commission International (JCI) accreditation), within 30 minutes you could be at Hospital Clinica Biblica, Hospital La Catolica and Hospital Metropolitano.
- If you appreciate music and culture and love the idea of visiting the theater to see the Oratorio Society of New York or a world-class opera like Madam Butterfly then living in Escazu close to the city’s numerous theaters is something you should consider.
- You love going to the movies and would like to be able to visit many different movie theaters whenever you’re in the mood.
- You like to read books in English or Spanish and prefer to be close to great bookstores like Libreria Internacional.
- You take pride in how you look and prefer to have access to the best possible selection of shops and department stores which you will ONLY find in Escazu and Santa Ana.
- If you are a keen golfer then the best possible place to live is in either the Escazu or Santa Ana area because we have four great golf courses for you to choose from within a 30 minute drive:
- 9-hole course in Los Reyes
- 9-hole course in the Costa Rica Country Club in Escazu
- 18-hole golf course in Parque Valle del Sol in Santa Ana
- 18-hole golf course in the Cariari Country Club in Cariari
- You prefer having fast and reliable internet and don’t want to get disconnected fifteen times per day so you’ll be thrilled with the high-speed internet that that’s readily available in Escazu. My Boomerang internet connection (screenshot below) is certainly not cheap but it gives me fast Internet.
- I love to cook and cook for my family nearly every night but, we also love the fact that we have an enormous selection of great restaurants within 15 minutes of our home in Santa Ana. Whether we’re in the mood for Italian food or pizza, cooked or raw fish, Argentinian steak house, a restaurant specializing in Buffalo meat or Turkish, Lebanese whatever it is you fancy, you will find the best selection of restaurants in Escazu and Santa Ana.
- You might prefer eating rice and beans, or rice and chicken or, rice and vegetables, or rice and beef for every meal but if you want the best selection of supermarkets and specialty food stores in Costa Rica, you will find all of this ONLY in Escazu and Santa Ana. In fact, you can find practically everything that you are accustomed to eating ‘back home’.
- You are centrally located within easy reach of some of the most amazing beaches in Costa Rica:
- On the Caribbean
- On the South Pacific coast
- On the Central Pacific coast
- On the North Pacific.
- On the South Pacific
- If you have children then it’s important to remember that the Central Valley area has the best selection of private international schools and adult education centers. Nowhere else in Costa Rica even comes close…
- To make it easier for you to travel and more comfortable for your family and friends to visit you, you prefer to be within 30 minutes or so of Costa Rica’s main international airport in San José and about 90 minutes to the nearest beach on the Central Pacific coast..
- Finding the perfect temperature for you is easy because you will be able to choose from 5 very different micro climates in Escazu and Santa Ana:
- In San Rafael de Escazu and Guachipelin
- In Bello Horizonte de Escazu
- In San Antonio de Escazu
- In the Santa Ana valley
- In the Santa Ana mountains
- If you like the idea of making new friends and having an active and satisfying social life and prefer to be close to the largest group of expatriates and social organizations in the country, then living in the Escazu or Santa Ana areas is best for you.
Are you into beautiful Costa Rica?
All interesting things you want to know about Costa Rica are right here in our newsletter! Enter your email and press "subscribe" button.