Yurts and/or tinyhouse movement.

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Yurts and/or tinyhouse movement.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    costaricafinca
    Participant

There is a home built using this method, not far from us.
    A friend decided to use it, after seeing this home and whether the fault of her builders here, the roof has ‘sagged’ and is still inhabitable after 2 years.
    Has been an ongoing court case.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Insulated concrete form technology has been used in the U.S. for at least twenty years. Especially where insulation is an issue, it has enormous advantages. Like anything else, of course, done badly enough it can render an unsatisfactory outcome. Frankly, I’m amazed that you could make a roof sag, but I don’t think that necessarily has anything to do with the ICF technology itself.

costaricafinca
    Participant

[b]David[/b], I believe the sagging roof issue is to do the the American owners specification on how [i]she wanted it done[/i], rather than how it should be done. I mentioned this, though, more to point out that all builders are not familiar with the method, and [i]possibly[/i] wouldn’t be prepared to ‘go against the owners wishes’.
    The actual finished house seems fine.

maravilla

i have a neighbor who built an A-frame log cabin. BAD idea when you live in this climate. The back of the house literally rotted away from the wind and moisture, and there were mushrooms growing on the walls on the inside.

sueandchris

The tiny/small house movement is really gaining momentum in the U.S. An absolutely terrific book regarding this excellent lifechoice is “Little House for a Small Planet”.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”sueandchris”]The tiny/small house movement is really gaining momentum in the U.S. An absolutely terrific book regarding this excellent lifechoice is “Little House for a Small Planet”.[/quote]

See also Sarah Suzanka’s “The Not So Big House”.

CherylD

Interesting that this topic should come up on WLCR.com Forum. I just recently subscribed to http://tinyhouseblog.com. I find it quite informative regarding tiny houses. Amazing what one can put in such a small area. Some of you may enjoy taking a look.

aguirrewar

small

try; http://www.cubicinspirations.com/

1 or 2 of them or maybe 4-6 of them

[quote=”cancertomnpdx”]I would like to find someone who has built themselves either a yurt of wood and/or have built a house along the principles of the tinyhouse movement.

If you have any information I would like to hear from you.

Thanks,
    Tom
    Portland, Oregon

PS: Today was like a fresh new morning in Orosi, Costa Rica here in Portland, Oregon! I look forward to many such mornings on my little farm soon.[/quote]

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. Many of the sites suggested have been favorites for a long time. Finally I have visited with two people in Oregon who have built 600 sq foot house with a 300 sq foot patio for $16,500. After our conversations, I realized I have been on the right track for several years and my budget is adequate. Their building adventure was along the very ideas I have been thinking about for years. Again, thanks for the suggestions!

Tom
    Portland, Oregon

*Lotus

Tom: Keep us posted on what you decide to do. I love to see pictures of interesting alternative housing solutions.

[quote=”*Lotus”]Tom: Keep us posted on what you decide to do. I love to see pictures of interesting alternative housing solutions.[/quote]

Dear Lotus,

This is the link to Lyn and Pecos Bill’s blog about Costa Rica. Lyn writes great stories, it helps to start at the beginning and read forward to get their great adventures. The house on the first page is the house I was talking about in my message last night.

They are fun people! When we met a few weeks ago they wanted to send their contractor and his two builders immediately to my property and start building. I had to finally beg off that if the connections of my gardener didn’t work out, I would entertain the thought of using their team.

Enjoy the link: http://fossiltofinca.blogspot.com/

Tom

Andrew
    Keymaster

Dontcha’ just love this 12′ wide ‘Little House on the Trailer’

Their website is at: [ http://littlehouseonthetrailer.com/ ]

Sweetbeee

Hi Forum members,

I don’t weigh in often but do love all the info offered in this forum. Tiny houses and natural/alternative building is an area I’ve been involved with over the years, I’ve done some natural building in the US but in the dryer western states primarily, I’m a member of Tinyhouses group, the moderator is a dear friend, it’s a growing group in the US and I’m glad to see it catching on.

I would like to mention a couple of building styles that do work well in humidity, one is cob, that’s the mud that was used on the bamboo house mentioned earlier, it doesn’t contain concrete, it’s basically clay earth, fine sand and a binder, usually straw. It is finished and smoothed with a lime plaster.

Strawbale houses are plastered with cob often and resemble adobe or the early English homes in Devon with thatched roofs. These work well in humid climates AS LONG AS THE COB STAYS DRY with long overhangs and porches. They breathe and are great natural homes. There are a couple of gorgeous dome houses at Feunte Verde Finca down south, set on a hillside and seem to be holding up extremely well.

I truthfully don’t know what the outer surface is on those structures, my guess is they are dirt bag structures, but know they don’t have conventional roofs so I guess they are a cement stucco, I plan to go see them next time I’m in the area.

We have what would be a “tiny house” in Costa Rica, I looked everywhere for a bamboo house with a thatched roof, a rancho, and although it wasn’t occupied for over two years, has waist high thatched walls, wood floors, etc.

It looks like the day it was built (except for the thatch, the palm fronds look scruffy and tired but they keep out the rain). With absolutely NO maintenance it is perfectly suited to the climate and is resistant to the elements.

I guess the early inhabitants had it right when they built that way.

I can see a yurt being okay if exposed to the sun and not nestled in the woods, but it’s really not the right tool for the job, fabric breaks down with mildew, especially the thread holding it together.

I would go with bamboo but that’s me, I have many tiny house photos of small bamboo casitas you can write me and I’ll send you pics if you’d like, either way good luck.

sprite

I am always interested in more economic ways to build comfortable, sustainable housing. But so far, none of the non-traditional methods of construction seem less expensive or more appropriate for the two main environments in Costa Rica.
    So far, modern cement block and steel truss or old fashioned bamboo and thatch are unrivaled.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Which particular ‘climate’ suits bamboo here?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.