Young professional – escazu or santa ana?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Young professional – escazu or santa ana?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    tatlop22

Hi all, I’ll be moving from the NYC area and telecommuting from somewhere in the central valley.

I’ve visited Costa Rica in the past, but haven’t spent much time in either Escazu or Santa Ana which are the areas I think I’d like to live.

A local Tico friend advised me of the high pricing and suggested San Pedro area as an alternative.

After researching that area, I think it might be too much of a young college party scene. Am I correct?

I’m a mature 30 and will be living alone so safety is a big concern. I’ll also have a car, so getting around won’t be much of an issue.

Can anyone give me some advice on the difference between living in Escazu vs. Santa Ana?

Is either area mostly retired expats? Living near expats of similar age would be preferred.

Thanks in advance!

Andrew
    Keymaster

San Pedro is certainly more affordable than Escazu and Santa Ana.

There’s really no difference between Escazu and Santa Ana – they’re next door to each other – as far as safety and an active social life is concerned…

As to the area being “mostly retired expats” – absolutely not!

Retired expats make up a TINY percentage of the population.

Scott

rf2cr
    Participant

Depends so much on what you are wanting – my choice – neither!
    In my estimation both are overpriced and too big city, love living two or 3 hours away in rural Lake Arenal area. Who leaves the hectic US lifestyle for the same in Costa Rica. Don’t get me wrong, love visiting for a days shopping but getting “home” to the Lake at the end of the day is always a delight!

tatlop22

Thank you for your feedback. I plan on finding a temporary apartment while I travel around and decide what will work best for me. I’ve heard great thing about the La Fortuna area and plan to check it out while I’m there. I appreciate your advice.

[quote=”tatlop22″]Thank you for your feedback. I plan on finding a temporary apartment while I travel around and decide what will work best for me. I’ve heard great thing about the La Fortuna area and plan to check it out while I’m there. I appreciate your advice.[/quote]

Try out the Tilaran/Lake Arenal area as well, it is less “touristy” than La Fortuna, the town is nice and clean, people are friendly, there are great restaurants, a decent population of people in their 30ies (if you don´t want gringos only) and the security level is higher than at the areas around the “Big City”.

watchdog

For your stated needs and preferences, Escazu or Santa Ana probably most closely meet what you are looking for.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Although working online, you probably know that you are required to leave every 90 days to renew your visa or apply for residency.
    Also you now need to leave every 90 days to ‘reset your original driving license’ until you have Residency/cedula.
    Plus establishing a bank account is now more difficult without residency.

tatlop22

[quote=”watchdog”]For your stated needs and preferences, Escazu or Santa Ana probably most closely meet what you are looking for.[/quote]

I know I’ll find more information and better pricing while I’m actually in the country, but are craigslist and encuentra24.com misleading with their pricing? Are these listings Gringo pricing? I speak fluent spanish (parents are Colombian) so hoping I can negotiate a better rate. Is this realistic?

costaricafinca
    Participant

It is quite acceptable/usual to negotiate rent.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.