World Wide Land Investments president arrested

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum World Wide Land Investments president arrested

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    dkt2u

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck………

From the front page of AM Costa Rica this morning.

“Law officers arrested the president of a Costa Rican real estate Internet marketing operation Friday on a U.S. fraud charge related to other online activities.

He is Jaime Ligator, 65, president of World Wide Land Investments which has offices on the third floor of Mall San Pedro.”

Ever wonder why there are those of us here that question some companies and the people involved in those companies that are selling land in Costa Rica? Need I say more?

Andrew
    Keymaster

On the old WeLoveCostaRica.com website, before we switched over to the new system in January 2006, we had a number of extremely negative comments about World Wide Land Investments so this doesn’t surprise me in the slightest.

I also have a good Realtor friend on the Caribbean who has on numerous occasions proven to people who were visiting his area that he personally owned the land that the visitors thought they were buying or, though that they already owned through WLI.

As usual, the time between us first noticing a group with ‘questionable’ business practices and the time when they are effectively shut down can be years, during that period hundreds if not thousands of people may have sent money which they will probably never see again.

Having said that, please note that this man Jaime Ligator – a US citizen – has been arrested on another type of fraud and there doesn’t appear to be any news about them investigating the real estate side of things so don’t be surprised if this continues.

This is why WeLoveCostaRica.com only recommends experienced developers with proven track record of delivering quality real estate in Costa Rica and trusted and experienced real estate sales professionals in Costa Rica.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

simondg

did anyone lose money with them? did they honour their agreements?

Andrew
    Keymaster

Fascinating how you always spring to the defence of anybody that has ever been accused of ripping people off Simon – are you an attorney? Or perhaps you have been wrongly accused off the same thing in the past?

It would appear that the police authorities are under the impression that his group is responsible for breaking the law.

According to “Jaime Ligator was arrested in Costa Rica on May 18, 2007, on a complaint, filed under seal on February 28, 2007, charging him with one count of conspiracy (18 U.S.C. ? 371). The complaint was unsealed on May 17, 2007.”

And ‘if’ the stories we have been hearing for years are true, that his group WLI has been selling land that belongs to someone else, then yes! I would suggest that he is helping people to “lose” a lot of money.

These scenarios are never black and white because there are multi-jurisdictional problems involved … US firms selling out of the US and maybe also Costa Rica, selling land in Costa Rica than may belong to a Costa Rican corporation owned by a US citizen…

The client complains to his US attorney who tells him to speak with an attorney in Costa Rica who tells him to complain to his attorney in the US who tells him to file a complaint with the Postmaster and the BBB and it just goes on and on…

And yes! Normally the perps know exactly how to structure things for maximum protection and confusion…

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

simondg

Scott, could you change the setting on the log out so that it won’t wipe out my lengthy reply’s before I can post them. Even after clicking on it to stop the log out the posting gets wiped out when trying to review.

Well I dont have the energy to write another epic like the one that just got wiped out but suffice to say I was being sincere in my question as to whether anyone lost money and the “honouring agreements” part is aimed at the owner, not the client.

For anyone taking legal action in a real estate case I can reassure them that the legal system works well; I have just successfully sued a (foreign) land owner who thought he could renege on a deal with me. Use the arbitration court with a back up threat of a separate fraud case this seems to work wonders.

God bless Costa Rica (and my lawyers)!

Andrew
    Keymaster

The settings can not be changed but you can write your reply in Notepad and then paste it into the forum when you are ready …

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.