Workman’s comp insurance

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Workman’s comp insurance

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    VictoriaLST

I went to an INS office today and was shocked at the price of liability insurance if one of my part-time workers is hurt on the job.

It was explained that the insurance deposit is for a full time worker. In this case, the deposit was $800. At the end of each month, I report who worked and how many hours. At the end of the year, the actual amount owed would be deducted from the deposit and the remainder, if any, rolled over to the next year.

Is this how it works?

Thanks.

costaricafinca
    Participant

This is a new policy that INS now offers, and is meant to be used for ‘multiple’ workers, rather than purchasing a policy for an individual, so although it is expensive, it used to be at least that for [u]each[/u] worker.
    It is important that you document even the [u]slightest[/u] injury for future reference, such a cut finger that only required a bandaid … and of course, this is mandatory by law, as is CAJA. Sometimes, employers will give the funds for [i]voluntario[/i] coverage with CAJA, but this is not the proper way to do it legally, but is much cheaper.

waggoner41

[quote=”VictoriaLST”]I went to an INS office today and was shocked at the price of liability insurance if one of my part-time workers is hurt on the job.

It was explained that the insurance deposit is for a full time worker. In this case, the deposit was $800. At the end of each month, I report who worked and how many hours. At the end of the year, the actual amount owed would be deducted from the deposit and the remainder, if any, rolled over to the next year.

Is this how it works?

Thanks.[/quote]

Check me on this but I think if your workers are on contract they are responsible for any injury.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Here is a [url=http://www.costaricalaw.com/Labor-Law/labor-law-in-a-nutshell.html]well written and informative article.[/url]
    So, if your worker and family leaves your employment either voluntary or by your decision, you will be required to pay a hefty price which also takes into consideration the home supplied and any bonuses you have bestowed on them for the past 7 years.
    CAJA does/will not touch a work related injury, not to even stop flowing blood, and will send the ‘injured party’ to the nearest INS facility.

$ 800 would be 400,000 Colones 😯 How many workers did you report and at what wages ? I just paid a policy for 3 months for 2 full time construction workers and the amount was close to nothing.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.