Woodworking in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Woodworking in Costa Rica

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ken

I was wondering if there are any woodworkers in the group, presently living in CR?

Fran

Hi Ken,
    I friend of mine is actually working whit wood, he makes fournitures, beds, doors, tables and lot of beautiful things.
    I don t know if this can help you.

Best

Ken

I was mostly interested in speaking with a woodworker about availablity of good quality tools and machines. I don’t know whether I should bring all my heavy machines or sell them and buy them there?

guru

Wood working machinery is in demand in Costa Rica due to the burgeoning furniture business. Good machinery is available localy but most is expensive imported German machinery. Used machinery is where you find it (as in the US) but will be harder to find in Costa Rica.

A friend of mine that is setting up a personal wood working shop says he would bring machinery down again. However, he just bought an old heavy duty band saw for $300. But it WAS 3PH which lowers the price in Costa Rica just as it does in the US. He has a phase converter in his shop and is fine with 3PH (to his advantage). He also had a Tico negotiate the price. Asking price was $500.

Bringing tools and equipment into the country is a chalange. Customs in the port of Limon is said to be practicaly non-functional. Containers with complicated mixed loads can be held up for months. Then as with any port anywhere when the load is released it must be moved immediately or acrue significant storage fees. Find a good mover before considering this.

There are fantastic tropical hardwoods in Costa Rica like nowhere else in the world. Experts have spent a lifetime learning the local woods and never learn it all. It is wood worker heaven.

Edited on Mar 03, 2006 15:58

crtreedude

If you use a good shipper, carefully itemize everything, you will generally have no issue with getting through customs. If you are not going to be in the business of moving things back and forth through customs, it is hardly worth the effort to learn how.

Woods here are wonderful. If your Spanish is good, you will be able to find good quality wood – you might need to dry it yourself though.

Make sure if you are moving wood that is rough cut that you have a receipt with you. If you don’t have an origin document (like a receipt) they will most likely confiscate the wood. Costa Rica is very serious in some parts regarding wood. To cut most trees you have to have permits – especially the ones good for furniture.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.