wood framed construction???

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum wood framed construction???

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    kmlmck

I am beginning the process of building in Oratina and would like to hear if any homes are being constructed of wood as oppossed to block.
    I have an american contractor who is going to oversee the construction and we are deciding whether to build all block vs. all wood structures (or a combination); he seems to think wood can be a cost-effective approach but everything I see is block.
    Aren’t there some pretty exotic hardwoods down there we can use that will stand the test of time and termites?
    And oh yeah- what about plumbing? Why do they always say not to flush the paper???? Haven’t they discovered 3 inch PVC yet? Thanks for feedback

wmaes47

There are many homes that have been built from wood or block on the first floor and wood on the second floor.

I would suggest that you find an architect or engineer in the area of your build. You will need him to design the house and submit it for approval to build. You can ask him at the time of design for wood construction.

There are many different varities of wood you can use from fire retardant to bug resistant. Most of these are beautiful woods.

3″ PVC is not the problem… You will need to tell your architect/engineer to design your septic system to US standards. Most systems in Costa Rica are built very small. Grey water is generally dumped on the ground, while black water goes into their sub standard septic tanks and leach fields….

wmaes47

This is an informational page for building in Costa Rica. Great information here:

http://www.infocostarica.com/legal/buying3.html

Bill Maes

Edited on Apr 06, 2006 18:00

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.