Wireless/Microwave Internet near San Ramon

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Wireless/Microwave Internet near San Ramon

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    injunarts

Good morning my fellow expat’s.

First of all let me say that I feel very lucky to live in such a GREAT country, that has such fantastic people !
    Myself and wife were blessed by God to be able to move here over two years ago. We had a home built about 5 miles southeast of San Ramon near the main road to Arenal.
    Along with our new home we were also lucky enough to get a land line, and of course got our internet dial up connection with Racsa.
    Yes I know, you are saying to yourself, “terrible isn’t it”? Your right, so I started looking for a different kind of hook up so we could get high speed.
    I have searched the net for the “new” wireless/microwave connections, and for a company that will install & maintain it.
    I have only been able to find one which is Puro, and emailed them. As of now they have not responded.
    So here is the question.
    Does anyone out there know of more then one company I can contact to have this system installed in my home. There has to be more then one company for this type of service in my area, I just can’t find them on the net.
    Please help a fellow expat get set up with something other then “SLOW, SLOW, and no connection at all” Racsa.
    Who ever answers this email & for you who just read it, have a great day in this wonderful country !
    Thanks again
    Dave

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Hi, Dave,

We have a friend in San Ramon who has a wireless link to an antenna in downtown San Ramon. He says it works very well. You can call Idnet at 8835-5770 and see if they can serve you.

We’re PuroWireless users here outside Grecia. Their system has been very satisfactory. If you’ve e-mailed them and gotten no answer, you might call 2495-0707. That’s their office in Grecia. Diego, Faruk and Perry, at least, all speak good English. Puro’s installation costs are tolerable compared to some of the others.

Good luck!

Dave Murray

maravilla

What are the installation costs because the peeps in my hood who have satellite internet paid $600 for the set-up and now pay $60 a month. There’s nothing that could make me spend that kind of loot.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

PuroWireless’ standard installation cost is $255US. I’m pretty sure that includes the first month of service which is $35 for unlimited access at speeds of **approximately** 256kps upload and 512kps download. My speeds are a little less and vary a little, but they’re much, much better than any dialup. And when you consider RACSA’s monthly flat rate charge plus ICE’s connect time charge for dialup, Puro ends up being a few dollars cheaper.

We had an additional antenna installed at the location that sends us our signal. We might have gotten along without it but felt that it might be a good investment since there are three accounts/users who would benefit. That was an additional $200. I think most folks could avoid that cost.

maravilla

That is a lot better than a $600 start-up cost! We don’t have landlines in the campo where I live. I guess they wouldn’t be necessary anyway, right? How long did it take to get this system installed? I might do it when I come back for the winter; don’t think I will have the time on my upcoming trip which is just to renew my cedula (3 weeks).

DavidCMurray
    Participant

In general, Puro has been doing installations in about a week. But you must understand that their technology is based upon line-of-sight communication from one installation to the next. That is, your house must have a direct line of sight to one of their towers or to another of their customers. There can be trees in between the two points but not ridges, etc. Distance appears not to matter too much.

So if you have a clear line of sight to a tower or another user, you’re in. If not, you’ll have to wait ’til the system grows out to give you that line of sight.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.