Windes Architecture Article

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Windes Architecture Article

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    sueandchris

I read the Windes article with some interest. This site has consistently, over many years, offered some terrific articles regarding architecture and building. Mr. Windes design work seems sound and will be very pleasing to many clients seeking a graceful and traditional signature.

I was surprised, however, that he felt the need to denigrate another school of design to highlight his own. Contemporary or modern architecture has deep roots in classical models and has now been established worldwide for well over a century. Millions of people have now found a deeply satisfying home in a structure of modern design. Just yesterday I had the pleasure of touring an exquisitely imagined and executed modern home here in Atenas. The owners are thrilled. Happily, good architecture helps us all find our own “best” house.

Green and LEED design work seeks to establish a new paradigm of architecture/design/building to help preserve the planet’s shrinking resources…something I think all of us living in Costa Rica would support. This is a new concept and still struggling with costs and authenticity but undoubtedly a terrifically worthwhile school of thought and endeavor. Certainly simply building a smaller home, as suggested by Mr. Windes, is a powerful way to contribute. Foam? Not so much.

Further, as a “momma and gal” with over forty years in the design and construction industry, I found his descriptions of women to be both antique and amusing.

Thanks Scott for your continued articles that spotlight different architects with varying design signatures!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Thanks for your feedback Sue…

It should be pointed out that Larry is a retired architect living in Costa Rica and does not work as an architect in Costa Rica although he has a Tico architect friend who shares his architectural views and who is of course legally allowed to offer his services in Costa Rica.

Scott

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.