will be moving to CR need a job

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum will be moving to CR need a job

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ariwalcott

anyone have any suggestions about looking for a job in Costa Rica, Im a Canadian and would be interested in working in the Hotel Industry

costaricafinca
    Participant

Once again, I will say the first step is checking out the legalities of living here.
    Read the info on http://www.residencyincostarica.com which explains that you canot work legally here until you have Permanent residency status

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Crf, above, is corect. You cannot work legally here until you are granted [b]permanent[/b] residency.

You must first apply for that temporary residency status for which you qualify. That approval can take a year or longer.

Then, you must be a temporary resident for three years. Only then can you apply for permanent residency which approval can take yet another year.

So you would have to have a plan to support yourself for about five years before you could seek employment, and that assumes that you have the resources to qualify for temporary residency.

You should also be aware that wages in Costa Rica are a mere fraction of what they are in North America.

rosiemaji

Or use the money you have saved to invest in your own hotel. That type of residency is called inversionista – The investment made must have a registered or verifiable value of at least US$200,000 (Two Hundred Thousand dollars). You will not be able to work at your hotel (you must hire Costa Ricans to do that) but you can manage it until your residency becomes permanent.

rf2cr
    Participant

You would be compeating for a job in a very well trained job pool, you are not going to get a waver on the residency requirements based on your having special skills that Costa Ricans don’t have.

Don’t want to discourage you but Costa Rica does not make it easy and you should know that before you come.

maravilla

more and more, i see posts from people wanting to move here and work. that tells me they know very little about this country because that should be the very first thing they research. on one retirement website they recommend that you don’t come here with any expectation of earning $1.00, that you have approx $2000 a month in income, and at least $25,000 – $50,000 in the bank for emergencies. so many people come here completely unprepared and then wonder why living here is so hard.

bogino
    Participant

[quote=”maravilla”]more and more, i see posts from people wanting to move here and work. that tells me they know very little about this country because that should be the very first thing they research. on one retirement website they recommend that you don’t come here with any expectation of earning $1.00, that you have approx $2000 a month in income, and at least $25,000 – $50,000 in the bank for emergencies. so many people come here completely unprepared and then wonder why living here is so hard.[/quote]

It’s a case of “Look Before You Leap” and far too many people don’t do that. They read glamorous stories or see TV shows touting how great Costa Rica is (or many other countries for that matter) and right away they think “Oh…I’ll just move to Costa Rica and [b]ALL[/b] my problems will be solved”. People need to be much more thoughtful and [b]THINK[/b] things out and [b]DO SOME RESEARCH[/b] before making major changes. The grass is [b]NOT[/b] always greener on the other side….

maravilla

not only is the grass not greener, but for 6 months a year it is brown!! jajaja

and i really am amused by the ones who want to come and start a business. yes, it has worked for some, and for others it has been the formula to lose every single penny they have. sigh

Andrew
    Keymaster

[quote=”ariwalcott”]anyone have any suggestions about looking for a job in Costa Rica, Im a Canadian and would be interested in working in the Hotel Industry[/quote]

To put wages in Costa Rica into perspective for you, according to the [url=https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/programs/fileinfo.cfm?ID=125&action=Display]Costa Rica’s 2012 Minimum Salaries[/url]

According to the [url=http://www.bccr.fi.cr]Banco Central de Costa Rica[/url] the current exchange rate is: 494.36

The minimum wage for a Tour Guide ([i]Guía Turístico[/i]) in Costa Rica is 8749.838 per day (Divided by 494.36 = US$17.70 per day) – Let’s say you only work six days per week. that’s about US$5,000 per year plus some benefits.

The minimum wage for a [i]Recepcionista[/i] in Costa Rica is 253448.08 per month. (Divided by 494.36 = US$512.68 per month)

The minimum wage for a chambermaid ([i]recamarera[/i]) in Costa Rica is 7883.82 per day (Divided by 494.36 = US$15.95 per day)

Scott

dbserv

Hi Scott – I just went to the Min. Sal. site you posted above and it seems all “Qualified” trades (carpenter, plumber, painter, electrician, gardner) are the same as the Guia Turistico example you used above. 8749.838. I don’t mean to question your math, but are you SURE a QUALIFIED Electrician is $17.70 per day? That’s about what the electrician I have been using is charging me an HOUR!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.