Will apples grow in the Central Valley?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Will apples grow in the Central Valley?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    waggoner41

We live near Ciudad Colon and my wife is asking if it is possible to grow any type of apple here.

We have water apples and custard apples but they are not true apples.

costaricafinca
    Participant

There is a variety of small apples that are grown here, but I don’t have any specific info on it other than it grows at a high altitude.

The apples we are used to, require a ‘cold snap’ to grow successfully.

You could try contacting someone at [url=http://catieeducacion-web.sharepoint.com/Pages/default.aspx]CATIE[/url] in Turrialba.

If anyone has information, they will know about it!

Andrew
    Keymaster

There was an area close to where we used to have a vacation home that grew those small but juicy apples…

The Los Santos area is at a very high elevation…

VictoriaLST

The Israelis developed an apple for CR type climates. As i recall, it is call the Ana. I think I have one growing at 640 meters but it is still very young. Time will tell.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Growing and actually producing fruit is two different things.
    When we lived in Turrialba, we had some huge mango trees and avocado trees but they never produced fruit…

VictoriaLST

And only time will tell….

waggoner41

[quote=”costaricafinca”]There is a variety of small apples that are grown here, but I don’t have any specific info on it other than it grows at a high altitude.

The apples we are used to, require a ‘cold snap’ to grow successfully.

You could try contacting someone at [url=http://catieeducacion-web.sharepoint.com/Pages/default.aspx]CATIE[/url] in Turrialba.

If anyone has information, they will know about it![/quote]

I’m aware of the necessity of 30 days cold snap below 42 degree of the apples we know but with new fruit varieties being developed all the time I had to ask.

lvc1028

[quote=”costaricafinca”]Growing and actually producing fruit is two different things.
    When we lived in Turrialba, we had some huge mango trees and avocado trees but they never produced fruit…
    [/quote]

You must be missing some trace elements in the soil. If you have a mango tree that isn’t producing, you probably need to somehow amend the soil. I was told by an owner of a nursery you could tell how good your soil is by how well your fruit trees produce. We were told if they aren’t producing, then there are trace elements missing.

costaricafinca
    Participant

This was years ago, and we were told that it was because the temps were too cool…and the altitude was too high.
    We have grown many different fruit tress since then.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.